Box Office Discussion | The Fall Guys disappoint, Garfield's an surprise smash WW

Gwendolyn

10 minutes ago, supaspaz said:

What a weird promotional campaign. I literally hadn't even heard of Argylle before I saw a trailer before Mean Girls a few weeks ago. Sure, they really ramped up the advertising in the lead-up to release, but I'm not surprised it bombed.

I only saw a trailer for it once too, back in December. Every time I check twitter, though, people keep posting that they have been seen the same trailer nonstop for months in front of their films and they’re glad the film is out so they can stop playing it. I’m so confused as to how others saw it so much 

• Replies 2.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• V$.

• BNF91

• Lovett

• Arcadius

Top Posters In This Topic

Mean Girls (2024) grossing around $135M by the end of it's run for a 36M budget given big the MG IP is, is a little bit underwhelming.

The movie is still a success and profitable but it should've done over $200M, let's be honest. Monster in Law did 150M on a 45M budget and it was not a huge IP the way Mean Girl is. 

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, Aristotle said:

Mean Girls (2024) grossing around $135M by the end of it's run for a 36M budget given big the MG IP is, is a little bit underwhelming.

The movie is still a success and profitable but it should've done over $200M, let's be honest. Monster in Law did 150M on a 45M budget and it was not a huge IP the way Mean Girl is. 

Let's be real, this was set to be a Paramount+ release. It grossing over $100M at the box office is a huge win for them.

• Like 3

10 minutes ago, Lovett said:

Let's be real, this was set to be a Paramount+ release.

Was it really? I feel like the IP was capitalized for huge things, Mean Girls (the old version) is already making good money on streaming. 

2 hours ago, Aristotle said:

Was it really? I feel like the IP was capitalized for huge things, Mean Girls (the old version) is already making good money on streaming. 

Yeah, it was originally going to be a streaming only release on Paramount+ but the test screenings were so good they changed it to a theatrical release.

Mean Girls simply shouldn't have been a musical. Could've been an easy $100-150M domestic. 

Argylle is already just hanging above $1M on its 4th day of release. Will plummet below that by Wednesday. What a massive bomb. 

I wonder what the reasoning is for Frozen 3 and Toy Story 5 being released in the same year. I'd think they'd spread them out so they'd have less flop years or something.

Then again there'll be a Frozen 4 :deadbanana4: And all the upcoming live actions :deadbanana4: And raining on Wicked's parade is foul, both family friendly fantasy female led musicals might cannibalize each other.

6 hours ago, Da Vinci said:

I wonder what the reasoning is for Frozen 3 and Toy Story 5 being released in the same year. I'd think they'd spread them out so they'd have less flop years or something.

Then again there'll be a Frozen 4 :deadbanana4: And all the upcoming live actions :deadbanana4: And raining on Wicked's parade is foul, both family friendly fantasy female led musicals might cannibalize each other.

Idk if wicked is that family geared

More like young adult women and gays

Speaking as someone who read the book and played the soundtrack umpteen times

1 hour ago, fridayteenage said:

Idk if wicked is that family geared

More like young adult women and gays

Speaking as someone who read the book and played the soundtrack umpteen times

Fair enough, basically Mean Girls's audience I assume

Ones who might think Moana 2 would be too kiddie for them

Despicable Me 4 isn't really serving anything new so it'd be interesting to see how it does without the Gentleminions meme

On 2/6/2024 at 3:48 PM, BNF91 said:

Mean Girls simply shouldn't have been a musical. Could've been an easy $100-150M domestic. 

Argylle is already just hanging above $1M on its 4th day of release. Will plummet below that by Wednesday. What a massive bomb. 

As soon as I heard it was a musical I lost ALL interest :rip: 

• Like 1

anyone but you might be the first romcom in over a decade to hit $80 mil both locally and internationally.

7454ddbed9acba0403e892daec198e53.gif

3 hours ago, fridayteenage said:

anyone but you might be the first romcom in over a decade to hit $80 mil both locally and internationally.

7454ddbed9acba0403e892daec198e53.gif

Saw the movie this week & it was great not the movie of the year but I had a great time!

Sydney always wins!

$170 million WW is huge :alexz:

Poor Lisa Frankstein :rip: Diablo Cody just can’t stick a landing

On 2/11/2024 at 2:31 PM, Ivan_brit said:

Sydney always wins!

Too bad she won't be able to salvage the upcoming floppage of Madame Web

I hope Lisa Frankenstein is good. I’m bored and will probably go catch a show tonight after work

:dies:

• Haha 1

Wow, just got back from Lisa Frankenstein and that script and dialogue was so bad. Thank God Kathryn was serving looks. Incredibly Hot as always :jonnycat:

but the attractive cast don’t save this mess. Tries too hard to be a campy teen flick. I did laugh a few times and the visuals are great. This is definitely a streaming movie. Don’t think it’s gonna have a cult following though. The script and dialogue is just atrocious. I give it a C. Lisa’s outfit is the only thing I’ll remember about this. A shame cuz I wanted a teen Camp/black comedy renaissance to happen. Oh well

Edited by Gorjesspazze9

Bob Marley movie having some really good final presales. Could challenge for $10M+ Valentine's Day. 

Madame Web also selling well. $5M+ VDay. Not sure how it will go for the 6-day opening, it's a weird one. But maybe not a huge flop. 

Cassie Howard WON :clap3:

Bob Marley setting Valentine's Day debut record, looking at $14M opening day. Great start. 

Madame Web starts with around $6M. 

I honestly thought the Bob Marley film was DOA. Critic reviews might not be good, but seems to be getting good WOM, so I’m interested to see how it fairs.

Sony needs to stop wasting Peter Parker’s checks on this Spidermanless cinematic universe m. The MCU can afford a flop, but how can Sony afford morbius and this bombing:rip: Kraven ain’t gonna make venom numbers either. Lets be fr

The 1-2 punch of Argylle and Madame Web :hoetenks:

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.