Box Office Discussion | Apes impress at the box office.

Gwendolyn

• ATRL Moderator

Two steep daily drops in a row for The Color Purple. That’s definitely concerning. I guess it’s not the smash we all expected.

• Replies 2.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• V$.

• BNF91

• Lovett

• Arcadius

Top Posters In This Topic

This went from smashing on Christmas Day to completely collapsing. Hopefully it picks up on MLK Weekend. 

12/25-12/29

wonka 44 ml

aquaman 37 mil

color purple 36 mil

migration 31 mil 

previous years:

(aquaman 89 mil)

sherlock 84 mil

les miz 59 mil

marley and me 58 mil

django unchained 54 mil

into the woods 52 mil

daddy's home 52 mil

unbroken 51 mil

catch me if you can 49 mil

benjamin button 44 mil

bedtime stories 44 mil

cheaper by the dozen 42 mil

anime this century in the US, 20 mil+

demon slayer mugen train 50 mil

dragon ball super super hero 38 mil

boy and heron 36 mil+

jujutsu kaisen zero 35 mil

dragon ball super broly 31 ml

TCP definitely fell harder than expected for the week. But it has recovered decently for Friday and Saturday, having the best daily jumps of all films ($4.15M Fri, $5.23M Sat). Looking for about $17-18M for the 4-day New Year's weekend. 

20 hours ago, Arcadius said:

Maybe there was just too much variety for people to choose from this week.

It's also just not being viewed by certain demographics in certain areas of the US. It did not break out of its intended demo. I shouldn't have expected any better, even though it's a crowd pleasing A-grade audience scored musical with Ocsar-level performances, some people just never want to watch black-centric films. 

• Like 1

Wonka is a juggernaut :deadbanana4:

They honestly should’ve amped the promo machine harder on it I think it could’ve easily challenged $700-$800M. 

Thank you to everyone who has kept this thread active for 2023! I can't believe we have finished the year which has been quite turbulent for hollywood. So for 2023, this was the highest grossing movies of the year: 

1 - Barbie - $1,441,820,453

s-l1600.jpg

2 - The Super Mario Bros. Movie - $1,361,367,353

MV5BOTJhNzlmNzctNTU5Yy00N2YwLThhMjQtZDM0

And to close off the Top 3...  3 - Oppenheimer - $952,034,000

71xDtUSyAKL._AC_UF894,1000_QL80_.jpg

4 - Guardians of the Galaxy Vol. 3 - $845,555,777

5 - Fast X - $704,875,015 

6 - Spider-Man: Across the Spider-Verse - $690,516,673 

7 - The Little Mermaid - $569,626,289

8 - Mission: Impossible - Dead Reckoning Part One - $567,535,383

9 - Elemental - $496,307,013

10 - Ant-Man and the Wasp: Quantumania - $476,071,180.

• Like 2

I will also be opening a Google Form for ATRL, so we can put movies we are most looking forward to and box office predictions! Please bare with me.

• Like 1

it's not a flop flop, but on the heels of west side story, in the heights, and dear evan hansen, it'll be interesting to see how wicked does.

mean girls was presumably pretty affordable to make so the profit margins should be okay even if it's super frontloaded. 

7 minutes ago, fridayteenage said:

it's not a flop flop, but on the heels of west side story, in the heights, and dear evan hansen, it'll be interesting to see how wicked does.

mean girls was presumably pretty affordable to make so the profit margins should be okay even if it's super frontloaded. 

Yeah Wicked is a wildcard, if it’s critically acclaimed I could see it smashing.

Musicals have been doing pretty well as of late and Mean Girls is tracking good so far so unless Wicked is a Cats level atrocity it will do great I feel.

1 hour ago, family.guy123 said:

How’s eras doing in china compared to her record sales?

$5.7M opening day. Insanely frontloaded on presales. 86% presales Vs 14% walk-ups today. 

Still it's a decent number. Will help add to the impressive WW total. 

• ATRL Moderator

So glad that The Little Mermaid will end up in the top 10 movies of 2023 after all :clap3: one of the best Disney remakes

This remake was good but it doesn’t hold a candle to the original film. I love a musical but this being a musical made the subject matter feel kind of corny. The story is heart wrenching but all the singing and dancing felt inappropriate at times. Fantasia was fantastic in her role but this version of the story didn’t touch me in the same way. In fact I had to go see it twice because I kept falling asleep in the middle, the second time I took a nap before and still dozed off. The original captivated me and made me feel what these characters felt.

• Thumbs Down 2

37 minutes ago, BoDaToe said:

This remake was good but it doesn’t hold a candle to the original film. I love a musical but this being a musical made the subject matter feel kind of corny. The story is heart wrenching but all the singing and dancing felt inappropriate at times. Fantasia was fantastic in her role but this version of the story didn’t touch me in the same way. In fact I had to go see it twice because I kept falling asleep in the middle, the second time I took a nap before and still dozed off. The original captivated me and made me feel what these characters felt.

I agree with you. Whoopi's crown is intact. 

• Like 2

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.