EBU: Discussions about Changes to Jury System for Eurovision 2024 following backlash

Gwendolyn

It has been confirmed that the European Broadcasting Union is assessing changes to the jury voting system for the Eurovision Song Contest.

230501_Sarah-Louise-Bennett_EBU_1178.jpg

TV2 reports that during an NRK Broadcasting Council meeting, it has been confirmed that the EBU is discussing the jury system at the Eurovision Song Contest. Thea Flinder, the NRK Project Manager for Melodi Grand Prix, confirmed that NRK has been in dialogue with the European Broadcasting Union regarding the current jury voting system. Ms Flinder commented:

“The commitment shows that this may be a good time for the EBU to make a proper assessment of the jury system.”

She went on to add that

“We (NRK) are in dialogue with the EBU and have been told that it will be assessed and finally decided in January.”

https://eurovoix.com/2023/06/14/ebu-discussions-changes-jury-system-eurovision-2024/

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• The7thStranger

• Miichael

• KillingYourCareer

• bjorn

Top Posters In This Topic

It needs to change. Finland was the real winner, and everybody knows it. I haven't encountered Sweden's song once since the show ended, whereas Cha Cha Cha continues to pop up everywhere.

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1
  • Thumbs Down 6

I would add more juries instead of just 5 people 

NRK has been vocal against the juries for a while so I'll take anything they say with a grain of salt

The only change I want to see is for the juries to be brought back to the semi-finals.

This is a good decision! :clap3:

10 minutes ago, The7thStranger said:

It needs to change. Finland was the real winner, and everybody knows it. I haven't encountered Sweden's song once since the show ended, whereas Cha Cha Cha continues to pop up everywhere.

Everywhere but the charts :rip:

Anyway, Loreen got her win so they can change all they want :michael:

13 minutes ago, The7thStranger said:

Idk if you're talking about radio or just social media, but in case it's the latter.. that's probably just your algorithm. It's completely opposite for me :michael:

Wonder how they'll change it if they do. It's funny how the juries were re-introduced in like 2010 or something, exactly because they needed them to vote differently than people televoting, but now when they do vote differently, they get lashed for it. I feel like you do need to balance out the televoting at least a bit with some sort of jury points, to stimulate countries to not just do shock value, but send in a diverse group of songs, and to prevent countries from just winning because of friendly neighbours

Edited by pavi

17 minutes ago, The7thStranger said:

• Member Title: Fake German Heiress

Tune in to the Germany's Next Top Model finale then this week :)

• Haha 1

2 minutes ago, UnusualBoy said:

Everywhere but the charts :rip:

Cha Cha Cha performed well on the charts given that it didn't officially land in pole position at ESB. Notably, it did hit #1 in Sweden. :redface:

4 minutes ago, pavi said:

Idk if you're talking about radio or just social media, but in case it's the latter.. that's probably just your algorithm. It's completely opposite for me :michael:

Social media and just general discussion. I flew back to the States to visit family, and quite a few of my friends mentioned Eurovision this year and Cha Cha Cha. That's not... common for Americans to pay attention to ESB like that. I know that's just anecdotal, but there's no way there would have been a discussion about Loreen's song. It just wasn't that interesting.

Just now, ZIVERT said:
  • Member Title: Fake German Heiress

Tune in to the Germany's Next Top Model finale then this week :)

That show is still on? :biblio: Warum?

2 minutes ago, The7thStranger said:

Cha Cha Cha performed well on the charts given that it didn't officially land in pole position at ESB. Notably, it did hit #1 in Sweden. :redface:

Social media and just general discussion. I flew back to the States to visit family, and quite a few of my friends mentioned Eurovision this year and Cha Cha Cha. That's not... common for Americans to pay attention to ESB like that. I know that's just anecdotal, but there's no way there would have been a discussion about Loreen's song. It just wasn't that interesting.

And Loreen was just in the States doing promo :skull: plz

10 minutes ago, ZIVERT said:

And Loreen was just in the States doing promo :skull: plz

Didn't chart there, though.

13 minutes ago, The7thStranger said:

I don't know about the US, but I'm a teacher in Europe and to end the year I did a quiz in multiple of my classes this week where they also had to recognize songs/artists from a snippet and pretty much all recognized Tattoo, while not that mamy recognized Cha Cha Cha. If we were to fact check your statement, we should just look at stats and Tattoo's stats make it clear it had just as much mass appeal as Cha Cha Cha, if not more. Sure, the latter didn't have the exposure of winning, but if it truly was more loved, that shouldn't have mattered that much (just look at what Snap did even tho it didn't win, for example)

Loreen needs to return the trophy tbh :giraffe:

And the EU needs to sue EBU :coffee2:

27 minutes ago, pavi said:

I don't know about the US, but I'm a teacher in Europe and to end the year I did a quiz in multiple of my classes this week where they also had to recognize songs/artists from a snippet and pretty much all recognized Tattoo, while not that mamy recognized Cha Cha Cha. If we were to fact check your statement, we should just look at stats and Tattoo's stats make it clear it had just as much mass appeal as Cha Cha Cha, if not more. Sure, the latter didn't have the exposure of winning, but if it truly was more loved, that shouldn't have mattered that much (just look at what Snap did even tho it didn't win, for example)

Clearly it is a successful song. I just don't see it as this big monster winner the way others (like Zitti e buoni, Satellite, or Arcade) were. I firmly believe that when people look back at 2023 ESC, the discussion will be "I still can't believe Finland didn't win."

Edited by The7thStranger

reform the system by adding more (and more diverse) juries, sensible choice of people in the jury and not random nobodies like Mia Dimsic, etc. - great, I'm in

remove them completely - bye bye from me, enjoy the 00s freakshow

So dumb that they are caving to the mob just because some cry babies were mad that their fave didn't win :rip: If they heavily weight the public vote that will literally destroy all the progress Eurovision has made over the past decade and will turn it back into a joke.

1 hour ago, The7thStranger said:

Is this a joke? :rip: Tattoo outperformed it everywhere... except Finland.

Edited by Miichael

It was clear something would change this year.

This year the Rest of the World vote was marketed heavily and it looks bad if the Jury work out the way they did this year. The crowd reaction in the arena would certainly have had an impact, since it looks bad on the broadcast and the crowd is cheering for someone and someone else wins due to something that they had no say in like the juries.

The Jury this year frequently voted for Tattoo highly in their top 5 but the other songs were more divisive in the Jury vote so she landslided. Loreen won within the rules of the contest. The song and performance is jury bait at it's finest (not an insult) and keep in mind at the end of the day, she was still second in the televote overall, despite getting 0 12's in the public vote.

I would be in favour in adding more diverse juries and juries individually scoring on each of the criteria that they are supposed to judge on. I would also prefer the weight to favour the televote so it does have more power than the juries but not to a ridiculous amount where the juries are completely useless to stop encouraging joke entries, especially in a TikTok era. 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, bjorn said:

So Netta is the rightful winner in 2018 right and not Eleni from Cyprus? RIGHT? :fan:

Yes, unless I'm completely missing the point, Netta beat Eleni in both Jury and in the televote.

A better analogy would be 2016 or something, if the televote had more weight then Sergey would have won over Jamala and the discourse was similar to this years, down to Jamala being 2nd in the televote which the Russians seem to forget like how Loreen was 2nd this year

1 hour ago, Funhouse said:

The only change I want to see is for the juries to be brought back to the semi-finals.

This.

/thread

11 minutes ago, Fevesy said:

It was clear something would change this year.

This year the Rest of the World vote was marketed heavily and it looks bad if the Jury work out the way they did this year. The crowd reaction in the arena would certainly have had an impact, since it looks bad on the broadcast and the crowd is cheering for someone and someone else wins due to something that they had no say in like the juries.

The Jury this year frequently voted for Tattoo highly in their top 5 but the other songs were more divisive in the Jury vote so she landslided. Loreen won within the rules of the contest. The song and performance is jury bait at it's finest (not an insult) and keep in mind at the end of the day, she was still second in the televote overall, despite getting 0 12's in the public vote.

I would be in favour in adding more diverse juries and juries individually scoring on each of the criteria that they are supposed to judge on. I would also prefer the weight to favour the televote so it does have more power than the juries but not to a ridiculous amount where the juries are completely useless to stop encouraging joke entries, especially in a TikTok era. 

The only thing changing this year is that people like him will not be able to rely on backing tracks next year

WINNER.thumb.gif.3dc93b89478b47e98249bb6

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.