Why did all groups from 'Popstars' flop long-term except Girls Aloud?

Gwendolyn

In the early 00s, before The X Factor, Idol and all these singing shows of today existed, in 1999, New Zealand a format for creating groups was born - Popstars.

Popstars went on to make over 50 groups in different parts of the world, with groups such as Rouge in Brazil, Bardot in Australia and the most successful group out of the franchise, British pop icons Girls Aloud.

Yet by 2004, most of these groups had flopped and disbanded, with the show itself being retired around 2003 in most countries due to Pop Idol having more success.

But why did most of these groups fail to gain any traction? Was it poor management - if your country had a popstars group, what happened to them?

Also lets remember these groups with the y2k bops they gave us :jonnycat:

my country had the No Angels and they are the best-selling German girl group of all time and they are still active today, so... all the other groups that came after them flopped too though. 

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, johnny_9ss said:

my country had the No Angels and they are the best-selling German girl group of all time and they are still active today, so... all the other groups that came after them flopped too though. 

No Angels appreciation post:

And germans female heroes #1 today:

Yes. Too many hits and Bops, I know 

Edited by Schami66

21 minutes ago, johnny_9ss said:

all the other groups that came after them flopped too though. 

I mean Monrose was really successful too and Bro'Sis had a couple hits. Beside them a handful of bands were one hit wonders. 

For nearly ten years the german teen audience was really here for Popstars bands.

Because Girls Aloud (moreover Xenomania) were innovators

15 minutes ago, Schami66 said:

I mean Monrose was really successful too and Bro'Sis had a couple hits. Beside them a handful of bands were one hit wonders. 

For nearly ten years the german teen audience was really here for Popstars bands.

i totally forgot about monrose :rip: yeah they really were quite big for a couple of years. 

Because most of the other groups music was bad

Girls Aloud's partnership with Xenomania was lightning in a bottle and having their innovative production made them actually stand out, set them apart from other groups and pop acts of that time, and have longevity by pushing the boundaries of mainstream pop of that era. Xenomania were an incredible pop factory at that time, and Girls Aloud was the perfect vessel for them to make their unique pop sound reach the masses. No matter how good the girls were, if they had been given sub-par material and cheap productions, they wouldn't have had the same staying power.

• 5 weeks later...

Eden's Crush didn't last because their label went bankrupt and the girls just quit instead of continuing. Nicole Scherzinger's fiance at the time didn't want her to be part of the group.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.