Tracy Chapman sued Nicki but allowed Luke Combs? Why?

KatyPrismSpirit

Her 1980s hit “Fast Car” is a undeniable classic. Nicki Minaj wanted to sample a element of Tracy’s song in 2018 on a song titled “Sorry”, meant to be on the Queen album. The song leaked in 2019, leading Tracy Chapman to sue Nicki Minaj for almost $500,000 in damages, despite the song never even being commercially released. The case was settled in 2021. Fastforward to 2023, Tracy actually allowed Republican country singer Luke Combs to COVER her song! He is now charting at #4 with the cover on the Hot 100.

Why did Tracy allow a republican and redneck to cover her song but sue Nicki Minaj for hundreds of thousands of dollars for sampling her song on a song that was never even released?

Share ur thoughts

nicki leaked it herself to a radio DJ even though it wasn’t cleared, that’s why she sued 

Maybe she creatively respected Luke Combs more. Country is a more similar genre to Fast Car than rap. 

Either way, it’s her song, she doesn’t have to give permission to Nicki or anyone if she doesn’t want to. 

Her song her choice.

:foxaylove3:

Edited by Big Bad Wolf
  • Like 7
  • Thumbs Down 1

I still don’t understand how sh sued Nicki. Nicki put it out on her station but she never made any money off the song. Reminds me when Jojo almost got sued for her song right on time for sampling Donna Lewis I love you forever even though sue put it free on a SoundCloud mixtape

4 minutes ago, Mtjjproducer said:

I still don’t understand how sh sued Nicki. Nicki put it out on her station but she never made any money off the song. Reminds me when Jojo almost got sued for her song right on time for sampling Donna Lewis I love you forever even though sue put it free on a SoundCloud mixtape

Its so weird? How can you even calculate an amount of damages when she didnt even generate money from it. Definitely she pulled some cash hungry stunt in the vein of “artistic integrity damages” lol

I am just surprised the right hasn’t cancelled it because he sings, “I work in the market as a checkout GIRL” which is the OG lyrics but with how fragile transphobic people are, it surprised me he kept it for redneck country radio. 

• Haha 1

you need owner’s permission to sample a song

when you record a cover version of someone else’s song you need a mechanical license. mechanical licenses are “compulsory" - songwriters are required to grant mechanical licenses to anyone who want to record their songs.

• Like 3

23 minutes ago, Mtjjproducer said:

18 minutes ago, KatyPrismSpirit said:

Its so weird? How can you even calculate an amount of damages when she didnt even generate money from it. Definitely she pulled some cash hungry stunt in the vein of “artistic integrity damages” lol

well in the end it's her song and she wrote it so she can do whatever....Nicki should have asked first

from my understanding, Nicki sampled a jamaican song that sampled a tracy chapstick song. tracy declined the sample request, which made nicki push the album back by a week. the song leaked, tracy sued, nicki won. then tracy counter sued for nicki leaking the song with funkmaster flex. nicki denied it, then chickened out and payed tracy 450k. 

the thing is, people can sample and remix stuff all they want, if your making a profit out of it tho then that’s the problem. nicki didn’t profit off the song leaking at all. the album was already out.

This Luke Combs cover is the most offensive thing I’ve ever heard in my life, especially during pride month… I can’t believe she cleared this to happen. :biblio: :what:

Legally, covering a song is different than sampling the actual recording of the song. Composition vs. recording. 

That difference aside, I imagine someone actually connecting to her music and covering it feels a lot better than someone sampling it for a song about how rich and sexy she is or w/e

Tracy probably didn’t want to be associated with rapists  :cm:

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Down 1

“As a songwriter and an independent publisher, I have been known to be protective of my work. I have never authorized the use of my songs for samples or requested a sample. This lawsuit was a last resort.” - Tracy Chapman

• Like 2

Weird considering she also greenlighted 2 tropical house covers in 2015 (one by Tobtok and one by Jonas Blue), seemingly at the same time.

2 hours ago, Nefertiti0 said:

you need owner’s permission to sample a song

when you record a cover version of someone else’s song you need a mechanical license. mechanical licenses are “compulsory" - songwriters are required to grant mechanical licenses to anyone who want to record their songs.

:cm:

54 minutes ago, Pink Whitney said:

Tracy probably didn’t want to be associated with rapists  :cm:

Reported. 

Nicki's track is hot steaming TRASH so why wouldn't Tracy sue?

Nicki thought she was slick to even try to play Tracy like that, a respected veteran who has been in the business for decades and knows how to play the game better than Nicki could ever. Nicki was a clown for even trying it.

Edited by iaintiffin
  • Thumbs Down 1

samples and covers are treated differently girls 

kenneth-petty-mug-shot-embed.thumb.webp.

probably because luke's version is a cover not a sample, i don't think he needs her permission 

AFAIK, Luke Combs isn't a republican. I know he's spoken out in support of Black Lives Matter and has been pretty candid about unlearning some of the opinions he was taught as a kid about things like the confederate flag. If anything, OP's fave seems more of a republican considering her endorsement and basically campaign for the LA mayor :rip:

OT: Just like Aretha once said re: Nicki, "Hmmm, I'm gonna pass on that one"  

23 hours ago, B-Luke said:

Weird considering she also greenlighted 2 tropical house covers in 2015 (one by Tobtok and one by Jonas Blue), seemingly at the same time.

She doesn’t mind covers, she just doesn’t seem to like samples.

She also denied Gabrielle to sample Fast Car back in the 90s.

Also, Tracy is a folk rock artist so she probably has more respect for Luke’s music than Nicki’s. 

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.