Taylor Swift - "Cruel Summer"

Michael196

Do we feel like Cruel Summer would've actually been a mega hit at the time if it was released instead of ME? I feel like there is such a Taylor Renaissance right now and the good will she has gained from Folklore, Evermore, the re-recordings, and Midnights has done wonders for her power both on streaming but especially on radio. Would CS have had a massive debut and then started dropping immediately at the time? Or would it have been a huge mega smash from the get go? Idk I feel like its reputation as such an amazing album track and fan favorite coupled with her huge popularity right now has truly set this song up for success

• Replies 5.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Michael196

• LiamVillain

• Maroonx

• Klein

She talked about it becoming a single tonight during the show, also confirmed that it was originally going to be one, but the pandemic got in the way.

13 minutes ago, Bamboo said:

Do we feel like Cruel Summer would've actually been a mega hit at the time if it was released instead of ME? I feel like there is such a Taylor Renaissance right now and the good will she has gained from Folklore, Evermore, the re-recordings, and Midnights has done wonders for her power both on streaming but especially on radio. Would CS have had a massive debut and then started dropping immediately at the time? Or would it have been a huge mega smash from the get go? Idk I feel like its reputation as such an amazing album track and fan favorite coupled with her huge popularity right now has truly set this song up for success

No. Now is the right time for it.

7 minutes ago, Ithinkforme13 said:

She talked about it becoming a single tonight during the show, also confirmed that it was originally going to be one, but the pandemic got in the way.

The first person to have no taste with M!-Y-TA-L-TM before COVID. A trailblazer!

14 minutes ago, Bamboo said:

I honestly think it would’ve been another Out Of The Woods type of “success”. She got lucky this time.

13 minutes ago, Bamboo said:

Exactly this and I’ve always said it too. Yes it would’ve been a good lead single (or second single/third single) choice and done better than the three initial singles but it doesn’t fit in the 2019 soundscape. It wouldn’t have been the giant smash people think. It reached that cult classic, underdog status and is now reaching the greater cultural sphere in music where it’s become a legitimate hit (and is far from peaking). I find this trajectory far more interesting anyway, it’s really cool to see everything unfold like this.

I think it would of hit #1 even over 'Old Town Road," ME! put up a staggering amount of points despite dropping like a rock after the first few days, but it would of only stayed at #1 for a week. I think it would of stayed comfortably in the Top 5 and hit #1 on radio quite easily.

Just now, Ithinkforme13 said:

I think it would of hit #1 even over 'Old Town Road," ME! put up a staggering amount of points despite dropping like a rock after the first few days, but it would of only stayed at #1 for a week. I think it would of stayed comfortably in the Top 5 and hit #1 on radio quite easily.

OTR was incredibly strong at the time. But it could have had a shot - how Me!th actually sounded hurt it a lot. But we have to remember that it still had a huge debut in terms of chart points - OTR was simply one of the most dominant #1s in history over all the songs it blocked. It's hard to day how Cruel Summer might have fared.

As a fan it makes me so happy to hear that Cruel Summer was her favorite cause we all wondered what was up. So happy it’s getting it’s dues.

Can’t believe I’m about to hear Cruel ******* Summer all summer long as I travel across Europe. Life is so amazing :weeps: 

26 minutes ago, Bamboo said:

2019 hits weren’t the sound of CS, and some of the biggest albums (WWAFA, TUN, Igor, Hollywood’s Bleeding, etc.) all either had darker themes or hip-hop infused productions. I think there’s a reason Lover as a whole has grown a more success over the years since the music landscape has changed post-pandemic. CS being a hit now almost makes more sense than when it came out.

• Like 2

None of her viral songs would have been smash hits if they were pushed during their initial release periods imo. I'm sure Cruel Summer would have been a solid hit in 2019 and would have definitely outperformed all the Lover singles, but I don't really see it being this global megasmash that beats Old Town Road.

This applies to Don't Blame Me, Enchanted, august, etc as well. The combo of beloved cult classics + her massive, unprecedented power and growth on streaming is what made them truly smash now.

Edited by State of Grace.

So do we know if there’s gonna be a music video or not?

1 minute ago, genetic fail said:

So do we know if there’s gonna be a music video or not?

We don't

cruel summer definitely has a music video i just hope we get it out of the way by this week since speak now tv is closer to release 

1 hour ago, Bamboo said:

She was not going to hit #1 with anything that era with OtR blocking everyone, and yeah CS didn’t have that hip/hop darker vibe on the 2019 trends.

But I definitely think Lover would’ve opened with 1m if she released CS as first single and Lover or Paper Rings as second single

Me! and YNTCD really really pulled away a lot of casual listeners/fans

I was a stan in the Reputation era and took a step back during the Lover rollout.

But I think that CS being released/viral in 2023 is perfect. It might become bigger now.

I also think she should release a proper music video in August after SN hype slows down.

A tour video would be cool but this track deserves a proper budget video

They should’ve not wasted the money on Karma and saved it for this.

Edited by Trent W
  • Like 1

Taylor just spoke about cruel summer on the tour - saying she has always wanted it to be a single but the pandemic stopped that; and now that streaming for it has been so unprecedented, her label has gone ahead to make it an official single.

im so happy. Cruel summer deserves all the time to shine. It really can be one of her classics like blank space and love story. 

And it needs a legit mega MV that is well produced. 

• Like 1

The way I snatched this thread dhhdhddajs 

A cruel summer indeed 

spacer.png

Cruel Summer will be her biggest streaming hit, girly is already at 700M and she’s just begun :jonny5: 

Omg I just watched the video where spoke about it at the Era’s tour. Can’t believe she confirmed it was supposed to be a single back in 2020 and that it’s her favourite song on Lover. Like this is actually insane to me omg

• ATRL Moderator

Still unbelievable she chose to release ME! over this as the lead single

Cruel Summer was that Covid hit that got away. Yeah sure I know about the lyrics and sensitivity thing, but c'mon. Blinding Light became the biggest song ever due to the lack of competitors during the pandemic. Had CS been pushed a bit earlier that year, it would just run away as her hugest hit.

Edited by Rep2000

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.