The Directors Guild of America has reached a tentative deal

Gorjesspazze9

The Directors Guild of America has reached a tentative deal with studios & streamers.
https://twitter.com/discussingfilm/status/1665286575805145088?s=46&t=sTdJZMenLQSZNz-HvhnLqw

in Pop terms it means Writers Strike is nearing its end:clap3:and Directors won’t go on strike

Wages and Benefits: Groundbreaking gains in wages and benefits including a 5% increase in the first year of the contract, 4% in the second year and 3.5% in the third year. Additional 0.5% to fund a new parental leave benefit.

Edited by Gorjesspazze9

Yasss

I'm truly glad for them. They really are an integral part of the entertainment scene.

Did the deal also include anything about AI usage? That's one the aspect of this strike that's I'm most curious about.

Still, the latter union largely has proposals (including many of its key asks) on the table that don’t have any overlap with the DGA’s demands and it remains unlikely that DGA progress on residuals and data transparency would change the game for writers.

Considering streaming residuals is one of the key issues of the WGA strike, the above doesn't sound promising, yet.

12 minutes ago, Indie Go Mind said:

I'm truly glad for them. They really are an integral part of the entertainment scene.

Did the deal also include anything about AI usage? That's one the aspect of this strike that's I'm most curious about.

Yeah AI has been addressed in the contract stating A.I. can not be used to replace members of staff. I don’t know what exactly that entails, but you could find a more explained synopses of it on twitter or reddit.

Edited by Gorjesspazze9

• ATRL Administrator

This doesn’t mean the Writer’s strike is almost over.

The fact that DGA don't even have to strike show how little Hollywood thinks of writers :skull:

11 minutes ago, Gorjesspazze9 said:

Yeah AI has been addressed in the contract stating A.I. can not be used to replace members of staff. I don’t know what exactly that entails, but you could find a more explained synopses of it on twitter or reddit.

Thank you. I'll try to find a more detailed summary later. :hug:

Writers across the industry have started to respond on Twitter and Instagram stories claiming this is a step in the right Direction 🤭 So I guess this Does mean it has a Direct effect on the Writers Strike and the Strike is Nearing its end.

Edited by Gorjesspazze9

There needs to be collective bargaining agreements that cover the whole labor force. These piecemeal strikes with some getting raises is not it! 

Edited by Mean Trees

Cmon hoes.. I need my Harry Potter series but get yours :clap3:

2 hours ago, Mr. Blue_Shirt said:

The fact that DGA don't even have to strike show how little Hollywood thinks of writers :skull:

My first thought.

Is this good or bad? 

8 minutes ago, Starfish said:

Is this good or bad? 

It's good for the DGA, but there are things in the WGAs demands that are uniquely their own, which is the root of the problem. 

Not too surprising though - the studios wouldn’t have wanted DGA, WGA, and SAG to all go on strike at once. 

barbiegrande
3 hours ago, Mr. Blue_Shirt said:

It’s weird because you’d think somebody would realize a good script is what makes or brakes a movie financially. 

4 hours ago, Gorjesspazze9 said:

The Directors Guild of America has reached a tentative deal with studios & streamers.
https://twitter.com/discussingfilm/status/1665286575805145088?s=46&t=sTdJZMenLQSZNz-HvhnLqw

in Pop terms it means Writers Strike is nearing its end:clap3:and Directors won’t go on strike

4 hours ago, Gorjesspazze9 said:

Wages and Benefits: Groundbreaking gains in wages and benefits including a 5% increase in the first year of the contract, 4% in the second year and 3.5% in the third year. Additional 0.5% to fund a new parental leave benefit.

You’re mixing up two different guilds.  The Writers strike is no where near over. The WGA is on strike, and that’s for writers. The DGA is the directors guild, and they are not on strike but their agreement was about to expire so they were just negotiating to renew it. The WGA is on strike because their agreement expired without resolution.  The producers association has not even started to respond to the WGA’s demands because they have been focused on the DGA. The good news about the DGA reaching an agreement is that the directors won’t strike also and they will have more time to negotiate with WGA. However the SAG-AFTRA agreement (which reps actors) is also about to expire so they will focus on negotiating that next before they get back to WGA. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, barbiegrande said:

It’s weird because you’d think somebody would realize a good script is what makes or brakes a movie financially. 

Right like, it's crazy how AMPTP willing to negotiate with DGA but rejected WGA proposals to the point that they have to go on strikes :skull:

Hollywood really treating writers like f*cking garbage it's insane

I really do hope this year's strikes cost Hollywood billion of dollars. They deserves this!

• 4 months later...
On 6/4/2023 at 3:10 AM, Gorjesspazze9 said:

Writers across the industry have started to respond on Twitter and Instagram stories claiming this is a step in the right Direction 🤭 So I guess this Does mean it has a Direct effect on the Writers Strike and the Strike is Nearing its end.

Oh?

• Haha 1

6 hours ago, fridayteenage said:

Oh?

Clock me. I was wrong 

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.