Why did Alanis Morisette prevail over Tori Amos?

nostalgia

Both were the alternative darlings of the 90s and kickstarted the new wave of female singer songwriters in pop rock alt. Both have been praised for their lyricism and intelligence as well weaponizing the female experience in a way not seen before in the mainstream. Both were putted against each other along their other peers like Fiona Apples and PJ Harvey.

Yet why is it that Analis was more connected to the GeePee than Tori and experienced not only commercial success but larger acclaim with her 90s work? If Tori chose to be more "palatable" to the GeePee, would she have been more loved and bigger? If Tori Amos cross over to more pop rock territory ala Jagged Little Pill, would it have worked?

torialanis2b.jpg

quote-what-influenced-me-was-tori-amos-w

90's

65 Tori Amos 61 82
66 Bonnie "Prince" Billy 44 186
67 Yo La Tengo 52 110
68 Spiritualized 48 145
69 Depeche Mode 90 49
70 Guns N' Roses 78 63
71 Alanis Morissette 84

http://www.acclaimedmusic.net/top_artists/t1990.htm

Tori's records are also much more acclaimed on RYM, MC, AOTY.. While Alanis's projects have pretty much all been panned bar JLP :rip:

image.png

Edited by GentleDance

because tori really didnt make commercial music. alanis is a lot more gp-friendly

• Like 2

Analis queen :clap3:

Tori queen too but her albums have a good amount of fillers on each of them (other than the first two). I think that's why I've had a hard time fully getting into her. Father Lucifer is a LEGENDARY baroque pop song, Kate would be so f*cking proud of that if she ever listens to music that isn't from like 1800s :worship2: I also prefer her live performances over her studio stuffffff

Because Alanis is better and a lot less pretentious.

Analis  sold out 

Both legends! Let me stream their best 2000s songs "This Grudge" and "Pancake" :clap3:

• Thanks 1

Alanis feels like she was able to adhere to conventional pop forms while still having thought-provoking and interesting lyrics, while Tori was never concerned about making pure pop (at least not until the mid 2000s lol)

6 minutes ago, Bloodflowers. said:

Both legends! Let me stream their best 2000s songs "This Grudge" and "Pancake" :clap3:

Taste but Viriginia, Gold Dust, Carbon >> 

• Thanks 1

24 minutes ago, JoeAg said:

Alanis feels like she was able to adhere to conventional pop forms while still having thought-provoking and interesting lyrics, while Tori was never concerned about making pure pop (at least not until the mid 2000s lol)

Tori has always been jealous of Alanis. In the video in the OP, she often looks shadily at Alanis when she explains her process and thinks that she is more superior than her in a way… that’s why she tried to replicate and commercialize her music, but it was ultimately too late.

*gif of Tori Amos side eyeing Analis*

Edited by nostalgia

Because Jagged Little Pill sh!ts on Tori’s entire catalog 

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, nostalgia said:

Tori has always been jealous of Alanis. In the video in the OP, she often looks shadily at Alanis when she explains her process and thinks that she is more superior than her in a way… that’s why she tried to replicate and commercialize her music, but it was ultimately too late.

*gif of Tori Amos side eyeing Analis*

They've only had great things to say about each other throughout the years, what in the fanfic :bibliahh:

Didn't realise there were so many Tori haters on Atrl :bibliahh:

• ATRL Moderator

One made poppier music than the other. It isn't surprising

10 minutes ago, GentleDance said:

They've only had great things to say about each other throughout the years, what in the fanfic :bibliahh:

Didn't realise there were so many Tori haters on Atrl :bibliahh:

A long time ago, when both were at the heights of their career, both Alanis and singer Tori Amos had quite the feud going. When Amos first heard Jagged Little Pill, she said it “made her ears hurt” and Alanis decided to confront her about it when they both toured together.

https://thedent.com/torialanis.html

2 minutes ago, nostalgia said:

"I really like her. She's such a good person. I like her as a person a lot. I like the songwriting and I think I like her singing but I've got to tell you, I have a hard time listening to that record, just on a sonic level. It would make a dog's ears hurt. I hate records that have so much high end and no bottom."

A bit of context.

As you can see from the link you've provided, they've only showed love to each other ever since :bird:

Because people confuse Tori and Tory and cancel her :monkey:

6 minutes ago, GentleDance said:

A bit of context.

As you can see from the link you've provided, they've only showed love to each other ever since :bird:

wow now THAT'S queen behavior :clap3: two talented, underrated legends (at least in today's popsphere!)

Tori and Alanis are both as relevant commercially as each other now so I would say it hardly even matters anymore. Tori's abilities maintained her fanbase while no shade, but Alanis' base was mostly those who watched MTV and bought in to whatever they played.

I don't know but SFIJ is full of gems to discover.

With all due respect to Tori, she's never released anything quite as well-crafted as Jagged Little Pill (and the nasty comments she's made about the record since made her jealousy known). Also, her lyrics and vocal style are acquired tastes, and her music is not necessarily inviting.

To be honest, Tori has always had this "artiste" thing about her that I think rubs people the wrong way. She has some stellar records, but she's always had a much higher opinion of her work than is perhaps warranted.

Edited by The7thStranger

45 minutes ago, The7thStranger said:

With all due respect to Tori, she's never released anything quite as well-crafted as Jagged Little Pill (and the nasty comments she's made about the record since made her jealousy known). Also, her lyrics and vocal style are acquired tastes, and her music is not necessarily inviting.

To be honest, Tori has always had this "artiste" thing about her that I think rubs people the wrong way. She has some stellar records, but she's always had a much higher opinion of her work than is perhaps warranted.

"Liquid Diamonds" alone eats up everything from Jagged Little Pill

inSEHsg.jpg

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Bloodflowers. said:

"Liquid Diamonds" alone eats up everything from Jagged Little Pill

inSEHsg.jpg

I mean, we love the Choirgirl Hotel. But I stand by what I said. Tori has never given us anything as perfect as JLP.

200w.gif?cid=82a1493bvp2uhax0o2ft3b64qfl

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.