Joanne vs Witness

yeezytaughtme

Joanne vs Witness  

99 members have voted

1. 1. Which is the better album?

• Joanne - Lady Gaga
    • Witness - Katy Perry
  2. 2. Which album has the better singles?

• Joanne | Perfect Illusion, Million Reasons, Joanne
    • Witness | Chained to the Rhythm (feat. Skip Marley), Bon Appètit (feat. Migos), Swish Swish (feat. Nicki Minaj), Save as Draft, Hey Hey Hey
  3. 3. Which album has the better album cover?

01  Diamond Heart vs Witness 
02 A-YO vs Hey Hey Hey
03 Joanne vs Roulette 
04 John Wayne vs Swish Swish 
05 Dancin' In Circles vs Deja Vu 
06 Perfect Illusion vs Power
07 Million Reasons vs Mind Maze
08 Sinner's Prayer vs Miss You More
09 Come to Mama vs Chained To The Rhythm
10 Hey Girl vs Tsunami 
11 Angel Down vs Bon Appetit
12 Grigio Girls vs Bigger Than Me 
13 Just Another Day vs Save As Draft
14 Angel Down (Work Tape) vs Pendulum

15 The Cure vs Into Me You See 

Gaga: 9

Katy: 9 

1 minute ago, suburbannature said:

Both bottom of the barrel 

Witness era | Amor da minha vida, Daisy, Fãs

Witness for all. 

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Down 1

Witness for all. It actually had a few good songs on it :dies:. More than can say for the other album

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Down 2

5 minutes ago, Devin said:

02 A-YO vs Hey Hey Hey
03 Joanne vs Roulette 
04 John Wayne vs Swish Swish 
05 Dancin' In Circles vs Deja Vu 
06 Perfect Illusion vs Power
07 Million Reasons vs Mind Maze
08 Sinner's Prayer vs Miss You More
09 Come to Mama vs Chained To The Rhythm
10 Hey Girl vs Tsunami 
11 Angel Down vs Bon Appetit
12 Grigio Girls vs Bigger Than Me 
13 Just Another Day vs Save As Draft
14 Angel Down (Work Tape) vs Pendulum

15 The Cure vs Into Me You See 

Gaga: 9

Katy: 9 

Good to hear from you b**ch

Joanne. Every Gaga album is better than Katy's. Literally, all of them.

• Like 4
  • Thumbs Down 5

Witness. The only listenable songs on Joanne are Million Reasons and Perfect illusion and that's not much.

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Down 1

It's wild how much of a grip stan twitter and internet media had on people's taste in the 10s and how uncynical people were about obvious corporate hit jobs. These albums and the artists that released them were so much more similar up to that point than ATRL wants to admit. :deadbanana4:

• Both albums have career highlights songs both in the singles and b-sides
  • Both albums are hampered extensively by the concept the artist forced onto it
  • Both albums also have a bunch of skips
    • this is more normal for Katy so idk why people hate Witness in particular
    • this is less normal for Gaga so idk why people aren't hating on it more
  • Both albums had career low visuals
  • Both albums had weak charting performance outside of a single song
Edited by Century
  • Thumbs Down 1

2 hours ago, Century said:

It's wild how much of a grip stan twitter and internet media had on people's taste in the 10s and how uncynical people were about obvious corporate hit jobs. These albums and the artists that released them were so much more similar up to that point than ATRL wants to admit. :deadbanana4:

• Both albums have career highlights songs both in the singles and b-sides
  • Both albums are hampered extensively by the concept the artist forced onto it
  • Both albums also have a bunch of skips
    • this is more normal for Katy so idk why people hate Witness in particular
    • this is less normal for Gaga so idk why people aren't hating on it more
  • Both albums had career low visuals
  • Both albums had weak charting performance outside of a single song

Is that in regards to Katy's backlash? Because outside of the album and image change, she did that damage to herself.

Whereas Joanne remediated Gaga's image. It gave her good will and she went on to do some of the best things in her career. 

But yes, very similar trajectories for these eras. They were both a little washed up at that point and had to swing big with a tonal shift.

1. Joanne

2. Witness

3. Joanne

Why are you making 10292891 topics about Gaga?

Joanne for all and it’s not even a question

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Down 1

witness for all, but the singles is a mid off :dies: somehow they picked the worst songs as the singles (except PI which was the best song on Joanne)

witness

both sukcs but at least Joanne have Million Reasons in it. 

1 hour ago, Big Bad Wolf said:

Is that in regards to Katy's backlash? Because outside of the album and image change, she did that damage to herself.

Yes. Regardless of who it was pulling strings there were definitely major stan "influencers" across twitter and youtube during that era who were obviously doing some kind of paid reverse pr for a certain handful of the girlies. One youtuber from that era comes to mind who got millions of views and a lot of clout in the online gay community for essentially bashing women.

A lot of music/entertainment discourse boils down to echoing the opinions of people you know or trust and I think there were definitely people in the industry weaponizing that fact to great effect in the mid-late 10s.

Witness was very cringe but so was Joanne, and so were most contemporary MPG eras if you start thinking too critically so it raises some red flags when it's only being held against one of them. Even in this thread nearly a decade later I can spot some people who must not have ever listened to either album seriously before coming to conclusions.  :deadbanana4:

Edited by Century
  • Thanks 1

Jopanned is cute, people do way too much. 

Witness is unlistenable. 

I’d always thought Witness has a very interesting cover. I think it’s futuristic and has symbolism behind it.

Joanne has had better single choices tho.

1 hour ago, Century said:

Yes. Regardless of who it was pulling strings there were definitely major stan "influencers" across twitter and youtube during that era who were obviously doing some kind of paid reverse pr for a certain handful of the girlies. One youtuber from that era comes to mind who got millions of views and a lot of clout in the online gay community for essentially bashing women.

A lot of music/entertainment discourse boils down to echoing the opinions of people you know or trust and I think there were definitely people in the industry weaponizing that fact to great effect in the mid-late 10s.

Witness was very cringe but so was Joanne, and so were most contemporary MPG eras if you start thinking too critically so it raises some red flags when it's only being held against one of them. Even in this thread nearly a decade later I can spot some people who must not have ever listened to either album seriously before coming to conclusions.  :deadbanana4:

I agree with you. I think Katy's behavior didn't help at all but there definitely was a smear campaign going on. There was not a single day of that era where she wasn't being dragged by stans or the media. Someone wanted her OUT.

Edited by Big Bad Wolf
  • Like 2

i love Witness :sorry: 

Better album: Tie. There are some songs on Joanne I prefer over Witness and vise versa. 

Better singles: Witness. Chained to the rhythm and Bon Appetit are great Katy Perry songs. I love Perfect Illusion but it was never single material.

Better cover: Both are disappointing but I like the color scheme of Joanne better. 

02 A-YO vs Hey Hey Hey
03 Joanne vs Roulette 
04 John Wayne vs Swish Swish 
05 Dancin' In Circles vs Deja Vu 
06 Perfect Illusion vs Power
07 Million Reasons vs Mind Maze
08 Sinner's Prayer vs Miss You More
09 Come to Mama vs Chained To The Rhythm
10 Hey Girl vs Tsunami 
11 Angel Down vs Bon Appetit
12 Grigio Girls vs Bigger Than Me 
13 Just Another Day vs Save As Draft
14 Angel Down (Work Tape) vs Pendulum

15 The Cure vs Into Me You See 

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.