Was this the biggest mistake of Alicia Keys' career?

reymiu

The track was not meant to be released as a single ANYWHERE.

However in UK it was downloaded so much that the label eventually announced its official release as a single. It eventually peaked at no.4 in UK weekly chart and no. 13 in UK's year-end chart, much higher than a lot of top 3-peaking singles :clap3:

The album debuted at no.17 in UK but thanks to the song's success, eventually peaked at no. 1 weekly chart and no. 7 year-end chart (higher than US as TEOF "only" peaked at. 11 on US' year-end chart) :clap3:

Despite being officially released in only UK, it is the most streamed track from the album on Spotify :clap3:

- ESOM pt.II : 350M streams

- Try Sleeping : 106M streams

- Unthinkable: 101M streams (125M including the Drake remix)

Was not releasing the song as a single outside UK the biggest mistake in AK's career ?

If the label had promoted this song properly, could it have been a global smash?

I think people just listen to it AFTER listening to part 1. It's pretty much the Acoustic version or a remix version of ESOM. There's no point in releasing another version of a hit song as a single

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Sept said:

I think people just listen to it AFTER listening to part 1. It's pretty much the Acoustic version or a remix version of ESOM. There's no point in releasing another version of a hit song as a single

1 minute ago, Sept said:

Pretty much this. It got the recognition it deserved one way or the other, especially in the US. There was no point milking two different versions of the same NY anthem.  It was a good move to push part 2 in the UK though. 

7 minutes ago, Sept said:

Alicia Keys' brand is R&B ballad - if this version was officially released, the GP who are not necessarily AK fans but fans of songs like Fallin' / If I Ain't Got You etc will like this version too

Plus the original was not big on AC / Hot AC radio. This version could have been a crossover hit on AC / Hot AC radio at the very least.

5 minutes ago, BGKC said:

Pretty much this. It got the recognition it deserved one way or the other, especially in the US. There was no point milking two different versions of the same NY anthem.  It was a good move to push part 2 in the UK though. 

I'm guessing it would be almost the same as if Rihanna tried to release as a single Love The Way You Lie Part II. The demand was there, but it would feel strange to milk it again, and the song gained recognition anyways in the long run

Spoiler

And launched Ariana's singing career :eli:

6 minutes ago, rmmas said:

Yes. This could’ve been a Stan / Thank You situation

Kinda, but Stan/Thank You are miles better.

Yes alongside Put It In A Love Song

They messed up this era so badly

31 minutes ago, rmmas said:

31 minutes ago, BrokenMachine said:

I'm guessing it would be almost the same as if Rihanna tried to release as a single Love The Way You Lie Part II. The demand was there, but it would feel strange to milk it again, and the song gained recognition anyways in the long run

Hide contents

And launched Ariana's singing career :eli:

Both these are good comparisons

FWIW Love the way you lied pt.2 got 225M streams on Spotify - very good figure (almost same as California King Bed at 250M and more than double Cheers at 100M)

Edited by reymiu

the real mistake was the way she went from TEOF to the mediocrity of Girl On Fire and then Here.

2 minutes ago, justinxx said:

the real mistake was the way she went from TEOF to the mediocrity of Girl On Fire and then Here.

Here got the excellent In Common, don't put it in same sentence with GOF :rip:

2 minutes ago, reymiu said:

Here got the excellent In Common, don't put it in same sentence with GOF :rip:

Oh that's the other mistake. How did she release In Common and then scrap whatever project that was meant to be part of and then give us Here?

1 hour ago, rmmas said:

Except Thank You was released first and Stan is an entirely different concept that interpolates Thank You.

ESOM is the same song just stripped down and with no rapping.

It's crazy how The Element of Freedom was her first album to miss #1 in the USA but it was her biggest era in Europe since "Songs In A Minor" - they really stanned this masterpiece :wanda:

Unthinkable, Try Sleeping With a Broken Heart, Wait Till You See My Smile are all gems 

Releasing this album was her first big mistake

Not releasing TSWABH as the first single from the purple album

• 1 month later...

I only listen to this version, the original one is awful :rip:

Also Try Sleeping With A Broken Heart felt like a big hit, i thought it went top 10.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.