Mariah's "I'll Be There" was originally just a live cover but fans demanded a single

naval23

In 1992, Mariah was scheduled to perform on MTV Unplugged.

She was informed fairly last-minute that singers usually include 1 cover in their set, so she scraped together a cover of 'I'll Be There' by the Jackson 5.

Once the special aired, her label received so much demand for an official release of this cover that they clipped a radio edit from the live performance and released it as a single.

It shot to #1 on the Billboard Hot 100 and remains the only single from MTV Unplugged to go #1 and spent 8 weeks at #1 on radio

Shook?

Edited by naval23

Its a perfect live song and no surprise people gagged over it

:jonny: a live cover going #1 from the best-selling female live album ever. Who else but Mariah in her prime?

It’s pretty remarkable that a live performance of a cover went #1. Not many pl can say they have that

I mean, it's THAT powerful, the first time I heard it I was blown away, another beautiful song by the one and only Mimi.

Did we ever get a studio recording? 

It's a shame that we never got a studio recording of the song, it would've been perfect for Music Box and they could've released it as the fourth single before AYNAF.

everything about her and her career is just remarkable, yet so overlooked. she bagged so many records and milestones, but somehow she wasn't taken seriously enough and still isn't :chick3: 

it's such a great song. it's remarkable that this became such a huge hit, who else but mariah could do that. it ended up spending 5 weeks at #1 in my country and being the 5th biggest hit of 1992

Her power back then was insane.

She turned a quick cover into a global hit like it was nothing.

The demand for her during those years was absolutely insane, only THE queen could do that :clap3:

Not only was it a huge hit in the US it also became her biggest hit worldwide up until that point (until Without You came along :gayriahcat1:)

25 minutes ago, helpthomas said:

everything about her and her career is just remarkable, yet so overlooked. she bagged so many records and milestones, but somehow she wasn't taken seriously enough and still isn't :chick3: 

I don't really think that's the case anymore

• Like 1

her performance of that song was amazing, but most of the credit goes to michael himself, he made that song so powerful.

How about her sitting and hitting those G5s like it was nothing

https://www.google.com/search?q=mariah+ill+be+there+acapella&client=ms-android-verizon&ei=dhRsZOjbENmE0PEP34CQqAE&oq=mariah+ill+be+there+acapella&gs_lcp=ChNtb2JpbGUtZ3dzLXdpei1zZXJwEAMyBwghEKABEAoyBwghEKABEAo6CggAEEcQ1gQQsAM6AggpOggIIRAWEB4QHToFCCEQqwI6BggAEBYQHjoHCCEQqwIQCjoICAAQFhAeEAo6CAgAEAgQHhANSgQIQRgASgUIQBIBMUoFCEASATFQkQdYqiZgzSdoAXABeACAAaIBiAHYEpIBBDMuMTeYAQCgAQHIAQjAAQE&sclient=mobile-gws-wiz-serp#fpstate=ive&vld=cid:edf642ac,vid:Ye0FeizKzGU

As a Millennial, this is the version I grew up with. A classic.

spacer.png

This is why Ariana called her the Vocalist Queen. Because she really is :gaycat5:

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.