How many do you know?  

159 members have voted

1. 1. ?

• No one
    • Only 1 person
    • 1-5
    • 5-10
    • More than 10

I feel shoddy saying this but I feel like this is an internet thing?

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• Replies 89
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• TanjiroKamado

• CBC

• zach

• Frozen99

A few. Some adopted they/them pronouns for a sec & were very vocal about it until dropping them later (occurring simultaneously with other significant mental health struggles). I also know NB people who’ve had top surgery & gone on hormones who truly need gender affirming care for dysphoria. There’s a lot of stigma against being non-binary because of the former “type” (somebody looking for help in the wrong ways by misappropriating a label) so there’s a misconception there isn’t a transition, that it’s symbolic/political. But I def know people who have meaningfully transitioned for their own inner peace & that shouldn’t be negated by the confused people who bandwagoned what they see as a trend for a hot minute. Even if it’s a situation where somebody’s “going through a phase” they’re going to grow out of, everybody deserves compassion, discovering yourself can be challenging. I wish people would recognize that both things are true. Some people are bs’ing, others really aren’t. V sensitive subject, don’t intend any offence :flower:

• Like 1

None (as far as I am aware of) and I'm in the USA

15 hours ago, CBC said:

how are non binary people supposed to present according to you?
ezgif-2-bea3dd5e2d.thumb.gif.0d28be6fa7c

OT: 3

Adrogynous

spacer.png

spacer.png

A lot. Including myself. 

In Germany, parents cannot call their non-binary children they. We call them he or she because we have to call them something. And when a non-binary child is called he or she, they die in 10 days. Even though you know your children are dying you still call them he or she.

On the internet like 9. Love my non-binary besties :gaycat4:

Here in my country face to face none.
I been noticing also how Transgender boys-girls are also rare here and not as common as the united states. 

Edited by AvadaKedavra

Two come to mind. One of my friends also uses she/her/hers. My other friend might go strictly by they/them, but I try to use they/them for both friends just to recognize, hey, you're non-binary and I respect/see you. 

Having non-binary friends is great because it shows you can look past differing genders and if you truly listen and advocate for your non-binary friends, you could do a lot of great ally-work. 

I will say, people that claim that non-binary people are in cis people's faces about their pronouns could not be further from the truth. Any time I accidentally misgendered one of the two friends I referred to at the beginning of my post, they were extremely nice about it. Our conversations also are rarely about gender. Our conversations are conversations I'd have with them with anyone else: careers, dating/love life, music, pastimes. 

I live in Florida so enough said. :deadvision: I'm actually the token queer non binary fairy in my friend group 

On 5/19/2023 at 4:51 PM, TanjiroKamado said:

Im from central Europe and Im wondering if this is an American thing bc I dont know anyone whos NB nor have I read about NB locals online.

Im from a city with 2 million people and its odd theres no NB here when in America theyre everywhere.

I'm from Central Europe and know plenty of nonbinary people there. The topic is usually not discussed in mainstream media like you said but they definitely exist.

OT: idk, a ton 

It’s (functionally, not emotionally) pretty easy to stay closeted as NB so it would anecdotally make sense that there would be less NB people who are out in environments where it isn’t accepted and people act like it’s a ‘strange’ phenomenon that doesn’t happen in their country. That’s hostile at worst and unwelcoming at best. 

Consequently people might conclude this means NB people don’t exist instead of the obvious answer which is: why the hell would they come out or remain in your city if this is the response they’ll get?

OT: I know plenty of NB people but I’m

not close friends with any. 

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.