Paris Saint-Germain Support Gay Rights

BOOMBAYAH

That's a nice move. I was just kiing at the meltdowns from football fans under PSG/Mbappé/Hakimi's posts :dies:

On the other hand, I do hate how performative this is ngl because most of these football players don't really speak up against the homophobia/transphobia and hate crimes happening in their countries whether due to them being queerphobic themselves or being scared of alienating their macho fans. So this all comes off as "I'm really forced to do this please don't think I personally support these rainbow sick f@ggots". Idk maybe that's just me. :swan:

That said, I do hope that we see more of this with football players actually standing up against homophobia (especially since it's a huge issue within the community itself where several players have to spend most of their lives in the closet) and hopefully supporting some local organizations, etc.

Edited by State of Grace.

1 minute ago, State of Grace. said:

That's a nice move. I was just kiing at the meltdowns from football fans under PSG/Mbappé/Hakimi's posts :dies:

On the other hand, I do hate how performative this is ngl because most of these football players don't really speak up against the homophobia/transphobia and hate crimes happening in their countries whether due to them being queerphobic themselves or being scared of alienating their macho fans. So this all comes off as "I'm really forced to do this please don't think I personally support these rainbow sick f@ggots". Idk maybe that's just me. :swan:

That said, I do hope that we see more of this with football players actually standing up against homophobia (especially since it's a huge issue within the community itself where several players have to spend most of their lives in the closet) and hopefully supporting some local organizations, etc.

I think some players do genuinely support gay rights, but their personal management are telling them not to make statements or acknowledge the day (see how most of the PSG players didn’t really acknowledge it and just posted photos like they would any other match). I remember 2 years ago they also got rainbow numbers for the same day, and Mbappe posted a photo of his rainbow top with “Respect” and got a bunch of hate comments :rip: ever since then he hasn’t posted anything, but it’s nice to know he does support it and isn’t just wearing it because the club is making him. 

https://www.instagram.com/p/CO8VyuqlXVR/?igshid=MmJiY2I4NDBkZg==

It does seem performative from the club, but I still think it’s better than nothing. It’s funny seeing the football stans fume in the comments whilst the footballers go about their lives. :wave: 

3 minutes ago, BOOMBAYAH said:

I think some players do genuinely support gay rights, but their personal management are telling them not to make statements or acknowledge the day (see how most of the PSG players didn’t really acknowledge it and just posted photos like they would any other match). I remember 2 years ago they also got rainbow numbers for the same day, and Mbappe posted a photo of his rainbow top with “Respect” and got a bunch of hate comments :rip: ever since then he hasn’t posted anything, but it’s nice to know he does support it and isn’t just wearing it because the club is making him. 

https://www.instagram.com/p/CO8VyuqlXVR/?igshid=MmJiY2I4NDBkZg==

It does seem performative from the club, but I still think it’s better than nothing. It’s funny seeing the football stans fume in the comments whilst the footballers go about their lives. :wave: 

Mbappe is a good example yes. I think he genuinely supports gay rights and he dated a trans model last year iirc. I still remember Idrissa Gueye missing the game because he refused to play the shirt with the rainbow though:rip: 

Football fans are sadly among the most toxic/hateful in any society but it's still better than nothing indeed. Hopefully, we'll see them do more outside of IDAHOBIT.

PSG is a business, it does not give a **** about gay rights. They would print literally any message on those shirts as long as it is profitable 

17 minutes ago, Dephira said:

PSG is a business, it does not give a **** about gay rights. They would print literally any message on those shirts as long as it is profitable 

(Genuine question) How would supporting gay rights as a business that’s target audience is straight men be profitable? Most of the players are receiving hate comments on their Instagram for wearing the shirts. I think that if a business does this, knowing a large portion, if not most, of their audience is homophobic straight men then they are doing it as an actual attempt at progressiveness and activism. 

Just to clarify something... there are sanctions against those who do not want to wear the outfit so some of them might be wearing it to avoid the sanctions. There are also several footballers and people from other sport categories that still refuse to wear it and that are supported by a s*** ton of their fans.

There are polemics about this every year but it is still nice to see the majority of them agreeing to wear the supportive outfit.

Edited by Erreur2 La Nature

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.