Eurovision Song Contest 2024 | Switzerland wins!

Queen Conchita

“The EBU has introduced a series of changes to the Junior Eurovision 2023 rules. It specifies that the performances on stage must be carried out live. In addition, no processor will be allowed for pitch corrections or full-screen insertion of video clips as part of stage performances.”

This would be the first time that pre-recorded vocals are banned at Junior Eurovision.

https://wiwibloggs.com/2023/05/31/junior-eurovision-2023-all-vocals-must-be-performed-live/277573/

No more backing tracks allowed girlies. This is BIG. I'm sure ESC 2024 will adapt this rule too, this was just introduced by the EBU and I just know some delegations are shaking from not being able to reproduce the shenanigans we've seen for the past 3 years. :gaycat5:

Edited by igninton

• Replies 16.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Pendulum

• Funhouse

• Fevesy

• illia

21 minutes ago, igninton said:

https://wiwibloggs.com/2023/05/31/junior-eurovision-2023-all-vocals-must-be-performed-live/277573/

No more backing tracks allowed girlies. This is BIG. I'm sure ESC 2024 will adapt this rule too, this was just introduced by the EBU and I just know some delegations are shaking from not being able to reproduce the shenanigans we've seen for the past 3 years. :gaycat5:

Some “singers” are shaking in their boots :coffee:

I am indifferent to backing tracks. It opens up the genre of music a bit but I also like the limitations because it forces creative staging, especially paired with the 6 people on-stage limit. I love seeing the backup dancers sing tbh

1 hour ago, igninton said:

This is a bit cruel on the kids

1 hour ago, igninton said:

I honestly hate this rule. Imagine songs like Cha Cha Cha, In Corpore Sano, or Qami Qami with 100% vocals? It would be less powerful

35 minutes ago, nathanspears said:

This is a bit cruel on the kids

31 minutes ago, ZIVERT said:

I honestly hate this rule. Imagine songs like Cha Cha Cha, In Corpore Sano, or Qami Qami with 100% vocals? It would be less powerful

They'll just have to get backing singers to do the live backing track which is not really that hard to do and it's how it used to be prior to 2020.

Doesn't mean that voice effects aren't allowed so they'll just have to focus more on putting on a LIVE performance rather than a choreographed lip sync for your life with occasional live vocals, me thinks. 

I don't mind backing tracks being banned but ONLY as long as the number of people on stage will be more than 6

The huge ESC stages look so empty with 2 back-vocalists and only 3 dancers + 1 singer :rip: Are we in the 60s or what?

I don't mind the backing track but too many people abused it.

10 minutes ago, igninton said:

They'll just have to get backing singers to do the live backing track which is not really that hard to do and it's how it used to be prior to 2020.

Doesn't mean that voice effects aren't allowed so they'll just have to focus more on putting on a LIVE performance rather than a choreographed lip sync for your life with occasional live vocals, me thinks. 

I know that’s how it was before, but I didn’t like it then either. For example, Saara Alto’s Monsters performance was ruined by the squeaky background singers trying to replicate the children’s-chorus vocal effect right before the drop. It made the performance and song sound cheap, so I’m not looking forward to more of this :dancehall: 

Unrelated note, I’m lowkey excited for Israel to return to this NF concept. It was so unique and fun

https://twitter.com/escdiscord/status/1665633624799019010?s=46&t=jV5qWZ2-WAmndCkzDaNIIg

Thank god for that. I don't mind prerecorded vocals being used for stylistic purposes like In corpore sano and I would hope that the EBU would consider them in some capacity for that reason but some artists have been straight up fraudulent using them. Plus imo it makes performances a bit too manufactured, people need to stop trying to recreate music videos onstage and just deliver a good performance

• ATRL Moderator

I wish there was a way to still allow/encourage the originality that comes with performances like In Corpore Sano or Cha Cha Cha but be able to penalize entries like Cyprus this year for their blatant lip syncing. 

1 hour ago, khalyan said:

I wish there was a way to still allow/encourage the originality that comes with performances like In Corpore Sano or Cha Cha Cha but be able to penalize entries like Cyprus this year for their blatant lip syncing. 

So "clowns lip syncing" >>>> "lip syncing"? 

ok!

• ATRL Moderator
1 minute ago, Paola Bracho said:

So "clowns lip syncing" >>>> "lip syncing"? 

ok!

I could always hear the vocals being performed by Kaarija and Konstrakta (outside of Konstrakta's intro)

There were times were I could not hear any vocals being performed by Andrew 

3 hours ago, ZIVERT said:

Unrelated note, I’m lowkey excited for Israel to return to this NF concept. It was so unique and fun

https://twitter.com/escdiscord/status/1665633624799019010?s=46&t=jV5qWZ2-WAmndCkzDaNIIg

I remember when the US tried to make this show a thing, Kesha was one of the judges. It wasn't bad but it didn't take off. I think they thought they could replace X-Factor USA but that show died for a reason. So they've only ever done that one season over the summer of 2014.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rising_Star_(American_TV_series)

4 hours ago, khalyan said:

I would almost rather them just go back to live vocals again, since it's so hard to create a consistent rule around this.

I know they de-emphasized the vocal performance in the jury instructions this year, but I wish there was like a consideration for 'Use of Effects' or something that did what you said: Penalize lip syncing and promote creative use of effects. I wouldn't trust this stodgy group of jury members to effectively apply it though. Juries should be larger and much more 'expert' and more diverse in expertise overall also.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Fevesy said:

Unicorns get in here!

:jonny:

The way this is better than Unicorn. We were truly robbed of seeing her perform a Hebrew BOP

Lol, the Danish twink dropped a new song too. I think this is better than his ESC song

On 6/5/2023 at 12:38 AM, JennyWayne said:

The way this entry ended the rest of the competition in 2001 (and Helena's solo entry in 2005 too)

I love the mix of traditional Greek instruments with Swedish pop production

The way Nina allegedly had a meltdown and changed the entire concept before the jury show :rip: Still one of my fave Croatian entries

On 6/5/2023 at 2:53 PM, khalyan said:

but be able to penalize entries like Cyprus this year for their blatant lip syncing. 

Wasn’t there a mic feed that proved Andrew absolutely killed it vocally? :skull:

4 hours ago, Hurem said:

Wasn’t there a mic feed that proved Andrew absolutely killed it vocally? :skull:

This one?

59 minutes ago, fiercE said:

This one?

The one I saw was one Twitter with much clearer feed. You can still hear backing vocals in this one.

That being said, his backing vocals were too loud for sure, but it was not to hide his vocal abilities cause the guy can sing :michael:

Israel 2017 singer Imri came out as gay..shocking :gaycat3:

Imri-Ziv-interview-at-the-semi-final-the

also, I just read that Marija Šerifović and Slavko Kalezić (Montenegro 2017 hair ghey) pretended to be a couple after her victory at Eurovision, is that true? :deadbanana4:

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.