Eras where the #1 song wasn't the biggest hit single

Jeremiah

Can you name an era that had a #1 song but said song wasn't the biggest hit off the album?

A very obvious example would be Britney's Femme Fatale, where Hold It Against Me (#1) got overtaken by Till the World Ends (#3) (and potentially I Wanna Go (#7) too).

Which other?

KVS50CT.thumb.gif.1ee32be8adaf0e9017c5e4

Renaissance as Cuff It proved to be a bigger song in the end

definitely Femme Fatale!! Till the World Ends was MASSIVE compared to Hold It Against Me

oh wait not OP posting that too lol

Red

I Knew You Were Trouble (#2) is bigger than We Are Never Ever Getting Back Together (#1)

Isn’t Stay bigger than Diamonds in the US? I might be wrong about that but I remember it being a bigger hit years ago. 

7 minutes ago, KatyPrismSpirit said:

Renaissance as Cuff It proved to be a bigger song in the end

. Cuff It will be hitting a billion spotify streams in 2024 probably, while Break my Soul will be struggling to hit 400 million 

23 minutes ago, Relampago. said:

Isn’t Stay bigger than Diamonds in the US? I might be wrong about that but I remember it being a bigger hit years ago. 

I see why you're saying it but no. Diamonds was way bigger. 

Stay was just massive as well

Halo -----> Single Ladies

Cuff It ----->Break My Soul

I think those are the best examples.

Single Ladies (#1) vs. Halo (#5). Both huge hits but Halo has inched ahead of it as time passes.

Maroon 5's Payphone (#2) vs. One More Night (#1). The former has 1.4 billion on Spotify to the 674 million of the latter and sold more.

I might be delusional but is there a case to be made that Work (#1) has been slightly overshadowed by Needed Me (#7) or Love on the Brain (#5)? At least stateside? Work feels like a bigger chart hit but the other 2 feel way more enduring. :deadbanana:

Red: IKYWT > WANEGBT

1989: it had multiple #1s but Style & WD are both much bigger than Bad Blood after all these years 

reputation: an argument can be made for Delicate being as big as LWYMMD, and DBM is coming to be bigger than both :skull: 

Thriller (#4) is bigger than both Billie Jean (#1) and Beat It (#1)

All 3 are massive tho

2 minutes ago, Kyle-x said:

Single Ladies (#1) vs. Halo (#5). Both huge hits but Halo has inched ahead of it as time passes.

Maroon 5's Payphone (#2) vs. One More Night (#1). The former has 1.4 billion on Spotify to the 674 million of the latter and sold more.

I might be delusional but is there a case to be made that Work (#1) has been slightly overshadowed by Needed Me (#7) or Love on the Brain (#5)? At least stateside? Work feels like a bigger chart hit but the other 2 feel way more enduring. :deadbanana:

I’m pretty sure Needed Me and LOTB (the latter especially) have much better recurrent stats than Work, which has very low numbers for a 9-week #1 from as recent as 2016. And LOTB has had great numbers for a while, even before SBHTS.

Hot N Cold (#3) -- 8x Platinum

I Kissed a Girl (#1) -- 6x Platinum

8 minutes ago, Cefh said:

All 3 are massive tho

I don't have the numbers but I'm confident La Isla Bonita is bigger than any of the other True Blue singles

#1 Live to Tell

#1 Papa Don't Preach

#1 Open Your Heart

#3 True Blue

#4 La Isla Bonita

12 minutes ago, Kyle-x said:

Not a Rih stan but I swear to god before I got into charts that Needed Me was like her MEGAHIT!

She gave birth to the whole trap pop r&b sound that Ariana ran with tbh! Halsey's Now or Never another smash hit is a complete derivative of Needed Me!

I heard that song EVERYWHERE! Rih truly is a hitmaker!

16 minutes ago, Holiest Dreams said:

1989: it had multiple #1s but Style & WD are both much bigger than Bad Blood after all these years 

reputation: an argument can be made for Delicate being as big as LWYMMD, and DBM is coming to be bigger than both :skull: 

Bad blood is a terrible song it’s no question those other 2 songs in the long term would be bigger and surpassing it. It only got big because of the mv and drama behind it during that time period other wise the song would no doubt be a major flop for Taylor.

16 minutes ago, Holiest Dreams said:

Blank Space annihilates anything from 1989. 

20 minutes ago, Kyle-x said:

Oh I absolutely agree with you. Also, I would argue that Unfaithful turned out to be bigger than SOS in the end as well.

21 minutes ago, Cefh said:

All 3 are massive tho

I disagree.

Idk but I feel like Adore You is bigger than Watermelon Sugar.

Femme Fatale for sure.

Maybe Ciara’s debut? I feel like 1,2 Step was bigger than Goodies overall (both were huge, though)

It's not a weekly #1 but Levitating aka the biggest hit of 2021 didn't feel as big as Don't Start Now.

Maybe it was bigger worldwide

Smooth Criminal is bigger and more remembered than all the other 5 number one singles from Bad. 

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.