Is Chris Pratt a Box Office magnet?

bjorn

Is Chris Pratt a Hollywood Darling?   

34 members have voted

1. 1. Is Chris Pratt a Hollywood Darling?

• Yes
    • No

Guardians 1 - $773,350,147

Guardians 2 - $863,756,051

The Lego Movie - $468,266,122

Jurassic World - $1,671,537,444

Jurassic World Fallen Kingdom - $1,310,466,296

Jurassic World Dominion - $1,001,978,080

Super Mario Bros - $1,100,000,000

Guardians 3 - $282,100,000 (so far)

Not including the Avengers movies

Well Atrl, is Chris Pratt a Hollywood Darling? A box office mega magnet? 

Discuss :fan:

Yes, it is, I fear.

Probably.

I’m an embarrassed fan, but I can’t believe the downwards trajectory of Jurassic World :rip:

As he should 

They are all franchises or have fan bases already built. Show his other movies 

Wait, how is this possible?

I thought ATRL cancelled him many years ago? :lakitu:

Yeah to a certain extent I think he’s somewhat bellowed for his parks and Recs roll!  That led him to book big rolls!  

Overall I think he makes good choices. He’s had some flops but after that he’s gone after pretty big franchises. (Those right choices lead to studios booking him even more)

• ATRL Moderator

No. It’s the IPs he’s attached to. No one is seeing a Marvel film because of Chris Pratt. No one is seeing Jurassic World for Chris Pratt (I’m betting the GP struggle to remember his character’s name in that franchise).

He is successful in acting mainly because he has a generic enough look to fit into a lot of IPs. That’s not a dog at him, it’s just what casting is evolving into. 

Here’s a good video essay diving into how Hollywood is less actor-driven and more IP-driven:

14 minutes ago, Shelter said:

This. :cm: 

No? He only stars in big franchises and superhero movies. I would like to see any original film that he did that didnt revolve around dinosaurs or space aliens. :dies: 

yes he is but he will low key start falling into the Dwayne The Rock Johnson category soon if he doesnt mix up his filmopgraphy soon. He is doing too many commercial films instead of working on his artistry on the side as an artist. He needs to do some more indie and low key roles where he challenges his acting skills tbh

Its obviously franchises/IP pulling people in, but it is still impressive to land lead role on so many major IPs :giraffe:

1 hour ago, Tylerbv said:

Probably.

I’m an embarrassed fan, but I can’t believe the downwards trajectory of Jurassic World :rip:

I mean when you look at it the Jurassic World franchise hasn't done that bad considering the reception, all the movies turned in a profit of more than 200m and it didn't drop that hard. Dominion is the worst movie the franchise has ever put out and it managed to turn a bigger profit than the previous film, which is even better when you consider that the pandemic significantly impacted its production cost and overall performance potential. 

A truly great movie in the Jurassic Park/World franchise has the potential to do absolutely huge numbers considering what they managed to get with these three. If you meant downwards trajectory of the quality then I definitely agree on that.

Jurassic World Trilogy

Jurassic World - 1,671,537,444 RT: 71%
Jurassic World: Fallen Kingdom - 1,310,466,296 (-21.61%) RT: 47%
Jurassic World: Dominion - 1,001,978,080 (-23.55%) RT: 29%
Total: 3,983,981,820
Overall drop: (-40.06%)

Profit:
JW - 474m (source)
JW: FK - 222m (source)
JW: D - 229m (source)
Overall: 925m

As for the question in the thread title. No Chris Pratt is not a box office magnet, he is a blank slate for a generic character that is easily replaced by an actor with a similar lack of personality and look (which there is an abundance of in Hollywood).

Edited by mystery

MadonnasBoyfriend

Talent beauty charisma and charm. Hell get old tho like everyone else

He’s an added value element to IP specific films but has yet to prove himself as a BISMS when it comes to non-IP film

(The Terminal List likely wouldn’t be as big of a show with, let’s say, Jai Courtney, in the lead role instead)

I feel like any white man could've played his role in the movies listed so :giraffe:

Passengers says hi. It also had another so called "magnet" J Law yet flopped.

13 minutes ago, Smarticle said:

I feel like any white man could've played his role in the movies listed so :giraffe:

7 hours ago, Shelter said:

This!

He just has a good agent to booked him for these roles. If any actors would take his place, the box office numbers would be the same

Like, they mean to tell us that people watching Mario movie because of Chris Pratt?? :skull:

mario is already at 1.1b???:deadvision:

The gays would love him more if he posted his big butt on Instagram. 

He is lucky big movie franchises always hire him because lbr he does not have the solo power to pull a box office. 

He is relatively unproblematic celeb and he was so hot in Parks & Rec so I'll him pass tho :giraffe:

Yes, he's the Ed Sheeran of movie but hotter and sexier

He's the hottest Chris in Hollywood despite his questionable personality..

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.