Underrated and overrated U.S. states

Bears01

What states in the U.S. do you think are often overlooked for how nice they are, or often get overrated for how good they are? 

My choices for underrated: Maine. Very pretty and vibey. Not that terrible politically (legal weed, not as progressive as I’d like but not really conservative) 

Colorado: absolutely gorgeous. The people there give off happy vibes. Very good policies. 

Montana: for a red state, they’re not as terrible as they could be. Stunningly beautiful, legal weed etc. 

Overrated: Florida. Awful polices. Awful people. Lunatics all over the place.  The good basically starts and ends with the weather 

California: awful traffic. Incredibly overpriced 

Underrated: Most of the great lakes region

Overrated: most of the south.  

Overrated texas for obvious reason.

Underrated Connecticut, Maine and Minnesota. :clap3: 

40 minutes ago, byzantium said:

Underrated: Most of the great lakes region

Overrated: most of the south.  

I hate that I live in probably the worst part of the Great Lakes region (Indiana). Otherwise, yeah Michigan, Illinois and WI are pretty awesome 

1 minute ago, Bears01 said:

I hate that I live in probably the worst part of the Great Lakes region (Indiana). Otherwise, yeah Michigan, Illinois and WI are pretty awesome 

Oh yeah,  I kind of forgot about Indiana.  I was definitely only referring to Minnesota, Wisconsin, Illinois, and Michigan.  Ohio is just fine.  

Just now, byzantium said:

Oh yeah,  I kind of forgot about Indiana.  I was definitely only referring to Minnesota, Wisconsin, Illinois, and Michigan.  Ohio is just fine.  

My part of Indiana is the only tolerable part of the state imo (the northwest part). The rest of the state is TRAGIC. 

9 minutes ago, Bears01 said:

My part of Indiana is the only tolerable part of the state imo (the northwest part). The rest of the state is TRAGIC. 

Honestly the same can be said for Illinois too.  Love the part close the the lake, but the rest is basically the south. 

Overrated: NEW YORK :rip: 

8 minutes ago, byzantium said:

Honestly the same can be said for Illinois too.  Love the part close the the lake, but the rest is basically the south. 

Agreed. Illinois outside of the northeast corner and Champaign is basically Indiana :rip:

Maine, New Mexico, South Dakota are all underrated in my opinion :) 

California is such a big place that it's hard to generalize the state as "overrated" or "underrated" and it depends more on the region of California. The San Francisco Bay Area is definitely overrated and I want to leave this place ASAP. :rip: But Monterey and Santa Cruz are some of the most beautiful places I've ever been to and are highly underrated. I think Los Angeles (and SoCal overall) are rated exactly as they need to be, some people do end up hating LA but that's because they only focus on places like Hollywood.

Edited by Jotham

1 hour ago, Cheers said:

NY is fairly rated.  I get saying NYC is overrated, but the state of NY is actually beautiful.

3 hours ago, Cheers said:

Yeah, New York City, absolutely, but upstate (especially once you get past Westchester county) is beautiful and is super underrated. 

4 hours ago, Helios said:

Overrated texas for obvious reason.

Underrated Connecticut, Maine and Minnesota. :clap3: 

Texas became overrated once the California refugees came and ruined the pricing

7 minutes ago, boneyard said:

Texas became overrated once the California refugees came and ruined the pricing

Texas has had high property taxes forever. Dont blame those horrible laws on Californians. :skull: 

4 hours ago, Bears01 said:

Cool to see other atrl’ers nearby to me. I live in Chicago and commute to NW Indiana for work :matty:

Overrated:

New York for the rats, the trash, the evil property tax, demonic rent & the personal army of the rich (NYPD).

Florida, because you know why, the WORST neighborhood animals (Gators & mosquitoes), being a breeding ground for lunatics and overcrowded beaches. \

California (mainly HELL-A), the astronomical price for a home (Good God), no parking spaces and the unearthly traffic. The reason I hate stroads.

Underrated

Texas: The countryside is lovely and the accent. 

Mississippi: for the cuisine, the marshes, the swamps, the trees, the people, and the culture. The buildings and churches, beautiful. I love New Orleans

Illinois for the Galena alone, look here is a taste of the most beautiful landscape of Illinois.

Spoiler

eSER_RF_PC_172_w.jpg

colorfulgalena-1440x366.jpeg

I've never been to Cali BUT is it really all it's cracked up to be? every single song in the world is about it :skull:

I live in Colorado and it's actually pretty overrated. everyone is so fake nice, it's not nearly as diverse as I wish it'd be (I grew up in the DMV for the love of god lol), and the general attitudes aren't as happy and optimistic unless you're in Boulder. I lived in Boulder for 7 years and the Boulder hippies are unbearable tbh. I live in Denver now and it's definitely better but at the same time I'll probably be ready to head somewhere else by the time the decade rolls around to a close (if I haven't left already by then)

in addition to that, my home state, Maryland, is EXTREMELY overrated. 

for underrated, I gotta say:

- Massachusetts. absolutely beautiful part of New England. I may be biased cause it's a second home to my family, but b*tch, Cape Cod is to DIE FOR! the ponds > the beaches I must say

- Michigan. there's really a lot to love there, and about the great lakes region in general

- North Carolina. out of all the southern states, there's a lot of beauty in the Carolinas and North Carolina in particular has a lot of lowkey places that are v nice to chill in

- Delaware. it's everything Maryland THINKS it is, plus stunning beaches

- Virginia. it's everything Maryland THINKS it is, plus lovely mountains and incredible forests

- Pennsylvania. DUTCH COUNTRY? I mean COME ON! the beauty is something to behold. Philly is an underrated town in general, it's come a long way

- Arizona. ok yes, the heat can be appalling. but if you're a fan of that or don't mind, Arizona has a lot to love. probs the best part of the southwest

I think there's a lot of beauty in the southern parts of the Appalachians, from West Virginia and Virginia to North Carolina, Tennessee and Georgia. And the climate there is pretty nice too, arguably the best climate of the eastern US.

On 4/24/2023 at 3:15 PM, Phaunzie said:

Overrated:

New York for the rats, the trash, the evil property tax, demonic rent & the personal army of the rich (NYPD).

Florida, because you know why, the WORST neighborhood animals (Gators & mosquitoes), being a breeding ground for lunatics and overcrowded beaches. \

California (mainly HELL-A), the astronomical price for a home (Good God), no parking spaces and the unearthly traffic. The reason I hate stroads.

Underrated

Texas: The countryside is lovely and the accent. 

Mississippi: for the cuisine, the marshes, the swamps, the trees, the people, and the culture. The buildings and churches, beautiful. I love New Orleans

Illinois for the Galena alone, look here is a taste of the most beautiful landscape of Illinois.

Hide contents

eSER_RF_PC_172_w.jpg

colorfulgalena-1440x366.jpeg

New Orleans is in Louisiana though. I think Louisiana might be my favorite of that region (LA/AR/MS/AL).

Wyoming underrated af but I doubt any of you have even been there 

I would love to visit Utah. Pioneer history mixed with the niche Mormon culture, as well as beautiful nature, it looks very interesting. So I would say that Utah is underrated

Edited by ZIVERT

On 4/23/2023 at 10:39 PM, Bears01 said:

Excuse me. Carmel is nice. The Beverly Hills of Indiana

Indiana also has the dunes national park and some very unique hikes in the south

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.