Becoming more irrelevant: Coachella vs. Met Gala

Breathe On Moi

GP losing interest   

119 members have voted

1. 1. Which event the most?

• Coachella
    • Met Gala

all shade aside…everything’s hype dies down eventually :biblionny:

noticeably tho these two events were MAJOR moments yearly-but attention has dwindled- ppl forgetting it’s weekend 2 of Coachella for example….- Met Gala getting dragged for their irrelevant guests of the last few years etc etc..

so which is become obsolete more so than the other and becoming a fad? :sherlock:

6 minutes ago, Century said:

One of these is a FUNDRAISER. :rip:

:rip:

The Oscar's if were being honest 

Comparing it to its former glory and prestige? It's a literal shadow of its former self

Met Gala novelty faded once they allowed influnecers and ppl who can’t dress.

Coachella, much like the Super Bowl just needs bigger names and stronger headliners. 

4 minutes ago, rhaenyra said:

Comparing it to its former glory and prestige? It's a literal shadow of its former self

The Oscars is eons older than Coachella, and even older than the Met Gala. 

I think it has less to do with the events themselves and more of the fact that celebrities aren't that interesting now and they're way too accessible. I honestly feel like a 22 year old living in Salt Lake City probably has more of an interesting life than some of the celebs we talk about on ATRL. So I'd say all of the above (Coachella, MET, Oscars).

35 minutes ago, rhaenyra said:

It was at a three year high in ratings this year. Still low compared to its glory days, but it's definitely not on its way out.

Celebrity culture in general.

We live in an era where anyone can become an influencer in their own tiny way, anyone can have access to luxury clothes/vehicles, anyone can rent or airbnb a fancy mansion (with their friends). We're all celebrities in our own head now.

2 minutes ago, elevate said:

It was at a three year high in ratings this year. Still low compared to its glory days, but it's definitely not on its way out.

girl ratings for the Oscars (and all awards shows pretty much) fell so low that atp there's no where to go but up tbh. ratings literally have been deep in ditch for years.

When there’s room for everybody (influencers) at these events, A and B list celebrities stop attending and the events turn irrelevant :swan:

Met Gala is about 2 weeks from now and I’ve already heard more about it and its attendees than Coachella DURING its first week 💀

1 minute ago, Zoomer said:

Met Gala is about 2 weeks from now

I **** you not I had NO idea it’s this soon :deadbanana4: I’m actually shocked 

Coachella will always be relevant. The average person can afford to go to Coachella. The Met is a fundraiser that you have to be invited to

I already knew Coachella was gonna go downhill after Bey headlined, nobody can compare!

Coachella’s cultural importance is nearly back to where it was pre-2010s and it’s attendance numbers will wane in coming years as another festival takes its place. The peak of Coachella was 2018, 2020’s cancellation was the beginning of the end, and 2023 was the final nail in the coffin. Even pictures of people on the grounds look very 2016.

That said, MET Gala worship has always been cringe but now even more so as everyone but chronically online stan’s have moved on.

Coachella has over 250 million views this year alone with Blackpink.

Coachella will never be irrelevant. 

met Gaga is super irrelevant lol

Coachella is over

This one will be the last Met Gala we'll talk about probably :toofunny2:

Edited by Pheromosa

1 hour ago, Domination said:

Coachella’s cultural importance is nearly back to where it was pre-2010s and it’s attendance numbers will wane in coming years as another festival takes its place. The peak of Coachella was 2018, 2020’s cancellation was the beginning of the end, and 2023 was the final nail in the coffin. Even pictures of people on the grounds look very 2016.

agreed. #BEYCHELLA has everyone in a chokehold to this day. I've probably seen more posts about people watching HOMECOMING or reminiscing about 2018 Coachella than clips and performances from this year on social media, lol.

OT: that said, I think Coachella is more "irrelevant" than the MET Gala. maybe it's because MET Gala doesn't have as many reference points, but it's still making a lot of noise for a local NYC museum fundraising gala, despite the declining quality of guests. Coachella has already turned into any ole music festival, even influencers aren't flocking to it anymore let alone celebrities. 

2 hours ago, Asparagus Spears said:

Coachella will always be relevant. The average person can afford to go to Coachella. The Met is a fundraiser that you have to be invited to

Umm… no? :huh: Even burning man is for rich assholes now…

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.