Katy Perry Thanks the LGBTQ+ Community for Her Legendary Career

midnightdawn

This California gurl continues to shine her light.

Ever since her pop debut in 2008 with "I Kissed A Girl," Katy Perry became a gay icon for generations to come.

Since then, the star has shattered records around the world, earned five number one singles off of one album (Teenage Dream), and solidified herself as a defining artist in pop and music overall.

Although Perry dominated the 2010s with nonstop hits, the current decade has been the most rewarding yet. The star welcomed her beautiful daughter Daisy Dove with her fiancé Orlando Bloom in August 2020. Just one year later, Perry kicked off her critically-acclaimed Las Vegas residency PLAY, with hundreds of thousands of fans from around the world attending her sold-out shows.

For any KatyCats who haven't seen the colorful and mind-blowing residency in person, now is the time to book tickets as her shows will officially conclude in November of this year.

"I'm just so proud of the show that we created and we put on. It is such a spectacular show that we love so much. It's almost like the greatest hits show! I call it all thriller, no filler. I wish I could bring it to the rest of the world, but it's just not technically possible to cart around OTT toilets and bathtubs. Closing a chapter on PLAY allows me to start a new chapter. I'm so excited for the potential of my story to continue," Perry tells Out.

Plenty of gays also love a campy moment — and PLAY is no exception. The show itself pays homage to the queer community throughout the show with dance-offs, rainbow imagery, and a ton of personable moments with Perry herself.

"First and foremost, I wouldn't be here without the gay community supporting me. They have been such big admirers and fans and influences for me. The fanbase that comes to this show is very much so that community. I would say it's probably like 50% of the audience. I think they feel connected to the music. I think they feel safe. I think they love the OTT of the show and it is a really hammy show. I would call this a show for the community. I am channeling my most Cher, my most Liza Minnelli, my most pop girly in this show. I am changing costumes constantly. I'm just giving them, I feel like, what they want."

Perry loves her LGBTQ+ fans so much that she even includes the gay anthem "Walking On Air" in every show's setlist.

"I feel like, they prayed to the gay gods and the gay gods listened!"

https://www.out.com/gay-music/katy-perry-vegas

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• shark_heather

• JayG

• AvadaKedavra

• bliaz

Ok…

…oh she about to drop some single… now it makes sense

Edited by BawwaB

You‘re welcome and now return the favor and release a BOP :celestial3:

cringe

She is definitely a gay icon now. She truly started becoming one in 2015. The gays were there for her when no one else was. Kind of like Iggy 

I'm so excited for the potential of my story to continue," Perry tells Out.

the story being another dated album that barely scraps the top 10 and becoming a full time republican :clap3:

I bought Teenage Dream, Prism, and Witness so I did support you and you're welcome

Edited by ThisNihilist

As someone who loves and always roots for Katy, a lot of her statements feel very contrived and pander-y. Not in a malevolent way, moreso in a very simple-minded way.

Giving the gays what they want and that being a Liza Minelli act or a long black wig on an Alesso feature is kind of a monolithic to see herself and her audience. And it renders a lot of the things she does inauthentic and lacking identity, almost like she plans them ahead because she (thinks she) knows who is going to like them. That contributed to the current state of things. She kind of needs to let go of a lot of those ideas and just give us herself, whoever that is.

Anyway

Legendary

:rip:

Edited by terrorblade

Now deliver a new bop :giraffe:

and now she's pandering to Republican soccer moms now that the Gays have abandoned ha :clap3:

You’re welcome, queen

we’ve seen your efforts and we appreciate your work supporting the LGBTQ+ Community :clap3:

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.