Dr. Luke v. Kesha: Oral argument at New York's highest court on April 18

TomTom
Ryan
Message added by Ryan,

Don’t even consider trolling this thread. You will be permanently banned from ATRL if you do. 

On April 18 at 2 PM EST, Kesha and Dr. Luke will square off at the New York version of the US Supreme Court - the New York Court of Appeals - for oral argument on two appeals by Kesha, setting the stage for an epic showdown and preliminary peak of Dr. Luke's 9 year-long defamation lawsuit against Kesha.

The outcome of these appeals will drastically affect the upcoming jury trial of Dr. Luke's defamation lawsuit, currently scheduled to begin in July 2023, and have profound impact on defamation law and First Amendment rights in New York and potentially the US as a whole.

The oral argument, taking place in New York State's capital Albany, will be live-streamed on Youtube.

See below for more details.

Spoiler

Self-made FAQ about the background and nature of the appeals with images and links (12 pages): 

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1aC8mcizJlUfs5L1mte3AhTjJJ-RPbVDM/view?usp=sharing

Official case summary of the appeals made by New York's highest court: 

https://www.nycourts.gov/ctapps/summaries/Daily/2023/April18.pdf

Briefs:

- sealed at New York's highest court, available for the lower courts / amicus briefs partially public -

Related ATRL threads (related pre-2022 ATRL threads currently unavailable due to the server updates):

Docket and case snapshots:

j7gnyuI.png 

iFnsf8r.png

GPdUu3Y.png

KHKyKNj.png

Recording:

Edited by TomTom2288

• Replies 146
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• TomTom

• suburbannature

• SmittenCake

• undermyskin

witches of atrl light your candles its time to get kesha closer to justice :heart:

we need the WORLD to tune in the way they did for Amber and Johnny

12 minutes ago, XtianB said:

Let's hope the world treats Kesha much kinder than they did Amber 

Oh, I thought they were actually gonna argue. I hope Kesha doesn't have to come near Dr. Luke. 

3 minutes ago, Cherish said:

Oh, I thought they were actually gonna argue. I hope Kesha doesn't have to come near Dr. Luke. 

The lawyers, not them. But they could theoretically attend the oral argument (though I don't think that's going to happen).

Edited by TomTom2288

1 minute ago, TomTom2288 said:

The lawyers, not them. But they could theoretically attend the oral argument (though I don't think that's going to happen).

Oh, I thought they had to attend. My bad. 

16 minutes ago, Blue Monday said:

Let's hope the world treats Kesha much kinder than they did Amber 

Agreed

Well organized OP :clap3:

The larger implications of this trial are surreal. Of all parties and conflicts to have that kind of impact I didn’t expect it to be this one.

Sen. Brad Hoylman’s involvement really took this whole thing to another level.

4 minutes ago, Espresso said:

Well organized OP :clap3:

Thank you! :hug:

6 minutes ago, Espresso said:

The larger implications of this trial are surreal. Of all parties and conflicts to have that kind of impact I didn’t expect it to be this one.

Sen. Brad Hoylman’s involvement really took this whole thing to another level.

Spot-on! :clap3:

45 minutes ago, XtianB said:

And Britney

jesus…

Free Kesha ✊🏻 you’ll win this queen, we have faith 

1 hour ago, XtianB said:

That would be horrible for Kesha, though. Society is so quick to vilify female accusers regardless of how credible their claims are (e.g. Heard having 12 legally-verified instances of abuse during the London trial).

Praying for Kesha :dancehall:

Thank you TomTom!! (and shout out to Ryan for the dedicated thread message :heart2:)

Can we expect the outcome to be reported on the same day? 

2 minutes ago, fountain said:

Can we expect the outcome to be reported on the same day? 

No, the decision will arrive a month later approximately (provided there is no deadlock among the judges).

This is one of the questions that I answered in the FAQ that I linked in the OP.

Edited by TomTom2288

Wow OP your dedication to this is truly commendable, Kesha deserves more fans like you. Sending all my wishes to Kesha in hopes she receives her due justice against this pig-man.

5 minutes ago, visions said:

Wow OP your dedication to this is truly commendable, Kesha deserves more fans like you.

3 minutes ago, keshasfillers said:

The thread is so good thanks to TomTom:clap3: 

Thanks for the kind words! :hug:

i can't wait for her to be free. i can't imagine how she feels right now. would love to give her a hug.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.