How would you go about tackling the obesity crisis?

cockatoo

7 hours ago, thetea said:

you're so right. a lot of the people in this thread have no valuable opinions or solutions on how obesity can feasibly be tackled. 

It would be curious to know if people in this forum have ever lived on their own, been in a serious relationship, had to be financially responsible for themselves, work a full time job-- basically be independent and on top of their exercise/doctor appointments/occasional car repair/groceries. 

When you reach a certain age, your free time shrinks, so fast casual/fast food becomes the norm if you don't have the time to cook all the time. 

I think some people (not all, obviously) on here live with parents who cook them food, maybe work part-time, and survive off of heaps of coffee and other stimulants/appetite-suppressants, which isn't sustainable. 

Edited by zasderfght

• Replies 130
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• thetea

• cockatoo

• duybeeGAshantiGA

• zasderfght

4 hours ago, TiaTamera said:

Chocolate and potatoes can stay, it just depends on how they are made.

I started drinking flavored seltzer water instead of soda and now I cannot even drink regular juice without watering it down and I barely drink soda anymore, and if I do it’s ginger ale and very rarely Vanilla Coke (if there’s no ginger ale). Ginger ale has the lowest sugar content out of all the sodas & I drink it when I feel like I’m low on sugar and/or need a carbonate beverage.

lowering my sugar and salt intake made me realize how sweet and salty things are now.

That’s what I’m doing now! My boyfriend is Brazilian tho so it’s hard for me to get him to use less salt in his cooking :( 

2 hours ago, zasderfght said:

It would be curious to know if people in this forum have ever lived on their own, been in a serious relationship, had to be financially responsible for themselves, work a full time job-- basically be independent and on top of their exercise/doctor appointments/occasional car repair/groceries. 

When you reach a certain age, your free time shrinks, so fast casual/fast food becomes the norm if you don't have the time to cook all the time. 

I think some people (not all, obviously) on here live with parents who cook them food, maybe work part-time, and survive off of heaps of coffee and other stimulants/appetite-suppressants, which isn't sustainable. 

that's exactly what i'm thinking. it's hard trying to start to eat healthy, especially since in a lot of cultures (including my own), people have been conditioned through colonisation and foreign contact to gravitate towards unhealthier food. it's become a part of the culture and way of living, which is really hard to undo in people.  it's curious to see how a lot of people are using this thread as an opportunity to bash body positivity, and make disparaging remarks about obese people. 

• 2 weeks later...

As much as I love fast food… fast food adverts shouldn’t be allowed or should at least be severely restricted. Idk about y’all but here in the UK you see McDonalds/Burger King ads any and everywhere:deadbanana4:

Allow health insurance providers to charge obese people higher premiums

Do more research into weight loss medication like Ozempic and Mounjaro, lessen the side effects, and make them cheaper and more available to the masses.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.