Moana | June 27, 2025 | Live-action remake

mystery

HOLLYWOOD REPORTER: Live-Action ‘Moana’ in the Works from Dwayne Johnson, Disney

And, up until now, it has not remade any title from the 21st century, preferring to keep some distance from animated and classic versions. But the studio’s strategy now seems to be in its latter stages and it may not be long before movies such as Frozen or Tangled are targeted next.

Already a Lilo & Stitch movie is in pre-production for a summer shoot. Fan response has been one reason for the distance but Disney is betting half a dozen years isn’t that short in a nostalgia-fueled culture that cycles through idea faster than a girl on a camakau escaping coconut pirates.  

Disney’s strategy is now also inspiring some other studios with animation libraries to look into their catalogs to find titles for live-action remakes. Universal is prepping to film this summer a remake of How to Train Your Dragon, it’s beloved and now-classic movie from 2010.

Edited by mystery

• Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Lovett

• Da Vinci

• fridayteenage

• mystery

Isn't it a bit too soon like jeez :deadbanana2:

The Rock really said "Ain't no other pacific islander dude going to play that character but me" :deadbanana2:

Edited by Cloudy

One of the most patently stupid decisions this company has made in a long time.

do they truly have such little confidence in their animation department :deadbanana2:

The OG film came out like yesterday ... there is no way this isn't going to be a cheap looking CGI-driven mess :redface:

12 minutes ago, Gui Blackout said:

this movie is not even 10 years old :deadbanana:

Like- :rip:

1 minute ago, AdamL44 said:

One of the most patently stupid decisions this company has made in a long time.

do they truly have such little confidence in their animation department :deadbanana2:

The OG film came out like yesterday ... there is no way this isn't going to be a cheap looking CGI-driven mess :redface:

Completely agree, they appear to be going in a direction where animated films will become obsolete for them.

We can safely assume that Tangled is next and a Frozen remake will be released before the decade ends as well.

What is troubling for them is that they do appear to be running out of ground with their existing content and what they can milk from that. Marvel is headed for a big slup as well. Their most popular and easily bankable hero (Spider-Man) isn't even owned by them. Might not be a good decade for them overall.

It looks like Nicole Scherzinger will also probably be part of the live-action film of Disney, like her in the original film.

I guess it makes sense to remake it now while Auli’i Cravalho is still young, but it’s only been seven years what   :deadbanana4:

These Disney live action remakes are a joke and need to stop. They never better the originals. Besides, isn't the original Moana only a few years old? lol

I love the original movie but considering these are always nostalgia plays, definitely way too soon 

…..The movie isn’t even a decade old tf.

Why not just release a sequel instead.

19 minutes ago, Yzma said:

Creatively bankrupt :rip: 

Yep. Sadly, general audiences are dumb and will still flock to see this :clown:

They're truly running out of ideas. They're going to end up remaking the remakes.

35 minutes ago, Gui Blackout said:

this movie is not even 10 years old :deadbanana:

34 minutes ago, Cloudy said:

Isn't it a bit too soon like jeez :deadbanana2:

27 minutes ago, AdamL44 said:

Obviously I wasn't alone in this being my first thought :skull: Disney is a cancer in this world I'm sorry

This has to be a late April Fools joke

But the Rock is also unbelievably greedy and egotistic (see: The Fast and Furious movies) so I'm not THAT surprised

now they can fix the biggest mistake of the original, bring the pig instead of the chicken on the trip :bird:

• Haha 1

Why not make a sequel first like Frozen and Zootopia :deadbanana4:

The Rock literally just wants to portray the character in person with his actual face while he's still young? The level of egotism :deadbanana2:

The CGI will be so bad ugh imagine if they waited for 2030/2040 CGI instead when Avatar level CGI is the new norm UGH not to mention the nostalgia

I'm kinda melting down over a kids movie LMAO

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.