SNL monologue calling out lack of black people in Friends goes viral

naval23

How has this gotten so much coverage for being a joke?  I saw the clip earlier today and didn’t think anything of it.  And it was a harmless joke at that. Wow.

• Replies 124
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• MadonnasBoyfriend

• san784

• Hot Volcano

Not a single soul cares :rip: it’s been off air for nearly 20 years. Get new jokes.

MadonnasBoyfriend
2 minutes ago, Hooligan said:

How has this gotten so much coverage for being a joke?  I saw the clip earlier today and didn’t think anything of it.  And it was a harmless joke at that. Wow.

Because the media has a hard on for any mention of freinds

24 minutes ago, GraceRandolph said:

Why do Friends fans get so worked up over people’s (valid) criticisms of that dated sitcom. :deadbanana2:

The users telling on themselves in here :ahh: 

It's obviously a response to Aniston's recent comments. 

what a hilarious and and not at all dated "joke"

1 hour ago, fridayteenage said:

does her show have latinx and asian people? 

Yes, children and adults.

I never got the complain about Friends not having black people. I mean there were also black sitcoms with a full on black cast just as popular as Friends like The Fresh Prince of Bel-Air and there's nothing wrong with it.

1 hour ago, Hot Volcano said:

This is such a tired narrative :zzz:

I'm from Eastern Europe, I grew up on Family Matters and Fresh Prince reruns, those were as popular as Friends. So there was africanamerican representation during that time. And keep in mind that during the 90s, like 7% of the US population was black, its quite normal for some shows to have just white characters when the population is overwhelmingly white :rip:

Not in New York City. 26% of its population was black in 2000 :rip:

17 minutes ago, Hooligan said:

Jennifer Aniston recently said that Friends would’ve gotten canceled if it aired today because it’s politically incorrect. A lot of people on social media dragged her because shows like It’s Always Sunny and South Park are still on air, so she was just complaining for no reason. 

i’m 99% sure Quinta made the joke because it’s an easy headline.

7 minutes ago, JoJo said:

:rip:

I mean, it's just a joke it's not that deep :skull:

But it is kinda interesting that this commentary continues around Friends to this day and has become a running gag atp, yet so many other sitcoms and TV shows from that era (Seinfeld, Frasier, Will & Grace, SATC) also all had all-white main casts and literally nobody cares :rip:

Jennifer is somewhere out there screaming and throwing up :jonnycat:

1 hour ago, fememeist said:

Honestly yes and severely overrated. My racist co worker likes this show and praises the fact it’s relatable and there’s no black people so that tells you about the others who stan this show

Wait… your coworker praises the fact that “friends” had no black people in it? Wow! To be so boldly racist as work is something else. 

Edited by san784

17 minutes ago, Miichael said:

I mean, it's just a joke it's not that deep :skull:

But it is kinda interesting that this commentary continues around Friends to this day and has become a running gag atp, yet so many other sitcoms and TV shows from that era (Seinfeld, Frasier, Will & Grace, SATC) also all had all-white main casts and literally nobody cares :rip:

The main argument wasn’t that friends had an all white main cast. Lots of shows had all white casts and even today there are still shows with all white main casts. The argument was that there was never a black guest star or even black extras in the background. It was literally lily white. You couldn’t see a black person (or any other race) anywhere, not even sitting in the coffee shop or on the street, which you would expect if they were trying to accurately portray NYC. The show only started having black guest stars and extras after they were complaints. The other shows did not have that issue, so people assumed that “friends” was deliberately not hiring non-white actors or extras. 

Edited by san784

15 minutes ago, san784 said:

The main argument wasn’t that friends had an all white main cast. Lots of shows had all white casts and even today there are still shows with all white main casts. The argument was that there was never a black guest star or even black extras in the background. It was literally lily white. You couldn’t see a black person (or any other race) anywhere, not even sitting in the coffee shop or on the street, which you would expect if they were trying to accurately portray NYC. The show only started having black guest stars and extras after they were complaints. The other shows did not have that issue, so people assumed that friends was deliberately excluding anyone who wasn’t white. 

I don't think it's completely accurate to say there was never anybody who wasn't white on the show in the earlier seasons (Jennifer Lewis and Sherri Shepherd's characters spring to mind, and Julie being Ross's girlfriend in season 2). But I totally agree the show wasn't diverse enough and thankfully that wouldn't fly today.

1 hour ago, My Tears Ricochet said:

She desperately want clout for her flop show

How's Abbott Elementary a flop show when it has won several Emmys, Golden Globes and other awards...? :bibliahh:

1 hour ago, suburbannature said:

The users telling on themselves in here :ahh: 

It's obviously a response to Aniston's recent comments. 

The fact that the same people who defended Jennifer's comment are worked up over this joke :deadbanana4:

I guess she was right, ironically

Edited by Mr. Blue_Shirt

1 hour ago, Marvin said:

The show was based New York which was just 40% white and nearly 30% black in the 90s… they weren’t in the middle of Iowa :rip:

1 hour ago, JoJo said:

53 minutes ago, GraceRandolph said:

:rip:

Yea but you guys are acting as if 26% is 60%. There were still large same-race groups of friends :rip:

the friends' cult are on par with the trumpsters it's hilarious...

queen said what she said and no lie was spotted, that tragic throwback mess and it's cast hasn't managed to breakaway from the show's shadow which shows how one dimensional they were and that the show aged like milk, nothing that cult says can change that

12 minutes ago, Mr. Blue_Shirt said:

The fact that the same people who defended Jennifer's comment are worked up over this joke :deadbanana4:

I guess she was right, ironically

Mr. Blue_Shirt

source? 

for a friend... :redface:

18 minutes ago, Michael196 said:

queen said what she said and no lie was spotted, that tragic throwback mess and it's cast hasn't managed to breakaway from the show's shadow which shows how one dimensional they were and that the show aged like milk, nothing that cult says can change that

Spill!

spacer.png

She's right

44 minutes ago, Hot Volcano said:

Yea but you guys are acting as if 26% is 60%. There were still large same-race groups of friends :rip:

spacer.png

45 minutes ago, Michael196 said:

Aged like milk while its still one of the most streamed and watched shows WW earning the cast millions on a yearly basis even tho it ended 19 years ago? Delusional to say the least :ahh:

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.