Sam Smith to perform in Isreal

SmittenCake

2 hours ago, N.M.K. said:

I'm sorry for the loss of your friend and for @Communion cherry-picking tragedies to fuel their own hatred.

Why does Israel under Zionism need to ensure its demographics are artificially above 50% of one dominant master race, leading to things like violating UN peace deals and exiling Palestinians into the borders of other countries? Why are you afraid to answer this question? Why can't you stand proudly next to the ethno-supremacist mission of Israel?

Edited by Communion

• Replies 226
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Jjang

• Yog

• SmittenCake

• Richmond

Top Posters In This Topic

Mess :rip:

Sucks for the fans that live in the region, but if I was an artist I could never in good conscious perform in, and give money too, a country who's government like Israel's. But they need all the money they get after their last album bombed so no surprise.

13 minutes ago, bad guy said:

Mess :rip:

Sucks for the fans that live in the region, but if I was an artist I could never in good conscience perform in, and give money too, a country who's government like Israel's. But they need all the money they get after their last album bombed so no surprise.

Artists get their revenue from Touring, Labels care more about the tour income than Album 

8 hours ago, Last Boy on Earth said:

Who you tryna fool with your broke ass? :rip:

:rip:

8 hours ago, Last Boy on Earth said:

:deadbanana4:

1 hour ago, Yog said:

Artists get their revenue from Touring, Labels care more about the tour income than Album 

Well they aren’t a touring act and can’t sell albums so it’s no wonder this decision was made :michael:

38 minutes ago, bad guy said:

Well they aren’t a touring act and can’t sell albums so it’s no wonder this decision was made :michael:

their previous tours were successful and this current tour is will be no different..:coffee2:

You don't really need ongoing hits to sell tickets, just a popular catalog in general which Sam has :coffee2:

Edited by Yog

Calum Scott, Sam Smith and Robbie Williams? Snooze-fest.  :coffee2:

On 3/14/2023 at 5:04 PM, Orsay said:

this "pinkwashing" phrase in one of the tweets in the OP makes no sense... y'all don't get to make every chain of sounds that pops into your heads into a buzzword :deadbanana2: 

Pinkwashing is not a new concept :ace:

I cannot at some users blaming his whiteness for this as if there aren't plenty of top selling artists of color who happily play concerts in countries with oppressive regimes. :deadbanana2:

44 minutes ago, Headlock said:

Pinkwashing is not a new concept :ace:

it is relatively new afaik unless you can find an instance of it being used before 2010

I understand how Israel cynically uses its support for LGBT rights to gain the upper hand against Palestinians and position themselves as more liberal, but by using the term "pinkwashing" you're ultimately critiquing a country for promoting gay rights. We need to encourage governments to embrace gay rights, not find a way to problematize it. :deadbanana4:  There's a way to point out Israel's performative activism without using such terms

Edited by Orsay

6 hours ago, Orsay said:

it is relatively new afaik unless you can find an instance of it being used before 2010

I understand how Israel cynically uses its support for LGBT rights to gain the upper hand against Palestinians and position themselves as more liberal, but by using the term "pinkwashing" you're ultimately critiquing a country for promoting gay rights. We need to encourage governments to embrace gay rights, not find a way to problematize it. :deadbanana4:  There's a way to point out Israel's performative activism without using such terms

Pinkwashing is not critiquing a country for promoting gay rights :rip:

It is critiquing a country/organization for USING their promotion of gay rights IN ORDER TO DISTRACT from other actions. It is a way for organizations/countries to market themselves as progressive despite their actions saying otherwise. It is using the gay community as a facade of progressivism.

Israel is critiqued in this way because they frequently promote themselves as a progressive country USING their gay rights record (which already is mainly just centered in Tel Aviv) TO DISTRACT FROM their negative human rights record regarding Palestine.

22 hours ago, Last Boy on Earth said:

:rip:

11 hours ago, computer.boy said:

Calum Scott, Sam Smith and Robbie Williams? Snooze-fest.  :coffee2:

Robbie has the bops tho :supaspaz:

On 3/16/2023 at 1:33 AM, Orsay said:

Do you think it's promoting gay rights when Israeli officials call for the lynching of gay Palestinians when committing pogroms? Do you think the acts of horror committed by places like Rhodesia wouldn't have been as bad if they had things like same-sex unions? 

Edited by Communion

On 3/14/2023 at 1:52 PM, dumbsparce said:

And? Do Israeli LGBTians not deserve a concert?

Do Russian LGBTians not deserve a concert ?

1 hour ago, Mhoum said:

Do Russian LGBTians not deserve a concert ?

You already know the answer to that. LGBT people from all over the world shouldn't be chastised for their governments' ill will towards them :rip:

5 hours ago, dumbsparce said:

You already know the answer to that. LGBT people from all over the world shouldn't be chastised for their governments' ill will towards them :rip:

Yes, and it's being hypocritic to boycott one and not an other

Isreal has been killing children and civilian for years and years now. And everybody agrees

A country that doesn't support basic human rights shouldnt be supported in any way

3 hours ago, Mhoum said:

Yes, and it's being hypocritic to boycott one and not an other

Isreal has been killing children and civilian for years and years now. And everybody agrees

A country that doesn't support basic human rights shouldnt be supported in any way

I don't count giving a concert for a specific marginalised group of people as showing support for the country it's taking place in but I see where you're coming from. It's ignorance from the artists' part for sure though.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.