96th Academy Awards | Top Winners: Oppenheimer 7x, Poor Things 4x

WildAmerican

Just saw STRANGE WAY OF LIFE and POOR THINGS at the New York Film Festival. Truly both masterpieces :jonny5:

Both incredibly well shot films. On the latter, the raves are well earned. Yorgos Lanthimos best film yet, Emma Stone's best performance on film yet, Oscar worthy turns from Ruffalo & Dafoe, and beautiful production design. 

Edited by Hector

• 2 weeks later...

• Replies 5.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• hausofdave

• WildAmerican

• Donquizote

• Almodusa

Strange Way of Life was bad, Pedro's acting was laughable and the writing was terrible

PS: Anatomy of a Fall has been leaked online

• Like 2

love these 3 and their lists

My top 10 favorite films from the New York Film Festival (do regret missing The Killer last weekend though):

01 All Of Us Strangers - this movie is going to stick with me forever. I want it to go the distance this awards season

02 Poor Things - Yorgos' best film yet & Emma Stone's best performance on film yet with great performances by Dafoe & Ruffalo. Would make a great Best Picture winner. 

03 Maestro

04 Anatomy Of A Fall

05 Strange Way Of Life

06 The Taste Of Things

07 May December

08 Priscilla

09 Ferrari

10 The Zone Of Interest - a movie I appreciate for its' direction more than personally loved. Prefer The Taste Of Things but this is clearly going to win International Feature Film.

Can't wait for Killers Of The Flower Moon in 3 days and The Holdovers next week :duca: 

Edited by Hector

The amount of movies I've been waiting for that I can finally tune in to in the next few months :duca: 

Hope this year will be saved because its been rough.

• Like 1

Pretty huge (currently 2nd in the Animated Feature race behind Spiderverse):

KOTFM this past weekend, Anatomy of a Fall and The Killer next weekend, we're eating GOOD awards girls :gaycat1:

On 10/17/2023 at 2:47 PM, Hector said:

Pretty huge (currently 2nd in the Animated Feature race behind Spiderverse):

Seems rather white, but ig at least there's some Asian voice talent for the dub.

And we can always watch the sub

All of us strangers was kinda meh, it’s going nowhere besides a nom for Andrew Scott maybe.

The Holdovers was AMAZING, so warm, beautiful, timeless, honestly at least nominations for Paul Giamatti, Best Original Screenplay, Photography, Score, and even supporting.

KOTFM was great, best film so far this year, noms for Scorsese, Leo, Lily, DeNiro and some technicals too, but for the acting ones I only see Lily as the strongest.

Will watch May December, The Killer, Poor Things, Anatomy of a fall, Zone of Interest, Fallen Leaves, La Chimera and Memory this week in a film festival, but it seems like Best International Film will be a strong category again.

From the past films this year I feel like Damon could get BA for Air… and of course noms for Oppie and Barbie, but from those I only see Blunt for BSA, Cillian in BA but Leo did it better and Margot and Ryan could get one too but they ain’t winning.

• Like 1

2023 Gotham Award nominees

Best Feature

Passages

Past Lives

Reality

Showing Up

A Thousand and One 

Best International Feature

All of Us Strangers

Anatomy of a Fall

Poor Things

Tótem

The Zone of Interest

Best Documentary Feature

20 Days in Mariupol

Against the Tide

Apolonia, Apolonia

Four Daughters

Our Body

Breakthrough Director Award

Raven Jackson, All Dirt Roads Taste of Salt

Georgia Oakley, Blue Jean

Michelle Garza Cervera, Huesera

Celine Song, Past Lives

A.V. Rockwell, A Thousand and One

Best Screenplay

All of Us Strangers

Anatomy of a Fall

May December

R.M.N.

The Zone of Interest

Outstanding Lead Performance

Aunjanue Ellis-Taylor, Origin

Lily Gladstone, The Unknown Country

Greta Lee, Past Lives

Franz Rogowski, Passages

Babetida Sadjo, Our Father, The Devil

Andrew Scott, All of Us Strangers

Cailee Spaeny, Priscilla

Teyana Taylor, A Thousand and One

Michelle Williams, Showing Up

Jeffrey Wright, American Fiction

Outstanding Supporting Performance

Juliette Binoche, The Taste of Things

Penélope Cruz, Ferrari

Jamie Foxx, They Cloned Tyrone

Claire Foy, All of Us Strangers

Ryan Gosling, Barbie

Glenn Howerton, BlackBerry

Sandra Hüller, The Zone of Interest

Rachel McAdams, Are You There God? It’s Me, Margaret

Charles Melton, May December

Da’Vine Joy Randolph, The Holdovers

Edited by Almodusa

Ryan Gosling nominated for Barbie is a big news when no other actor from the movie or from Oppenheimer or from Scorsese movie got a nomination

Edited by vale9001

38 minutes ago, vale9001 said:

Ryan Gosling nominated for Barbie is a big news when no other actor from the movie or from Oppenheimer or from Scorsese movie got a nomination

No, killers and Oppenheimer didn't submit because they're not desperate enough to block indie movies from getting attention from an awards show built for indie films.

Other films can submit now but it is a bad look tbh

Edited by fridayteenage
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, fridayteenage said:

No, killers and Oppenheimer didn't submit because they're not desperate enough to block indie movies from getting attention from an awards show built for indie films.

Other films can submit now but it is a bad look tbh

If they changed the rules why It's desperate.

They still nominate Gosling (while not Barbie related in any other category) so good thing for him. 

Edited by vale9001

gotham awards? i just know kim's character from ahs delicate is HITTING the phones today :dies:

• Haha 2

Priscilla RISES :jonny5:

Gotham still found a way to nominate Lily Gladstone so i'd take that as a sign she has strong support. I'm gonna be annoyed if De Niro wins and she doesn't. 

Montclair Film Festival Awards:

Spoiler

DO NOT EXPECT TOO MUCH FROM THE END OF THE WORLD directed by Radu Jude was awarded the festival’s Fiction Feature Prize with a Special Jury Prize for Direction awarded to Lila Avilés for TÓTEM.

Audience Awards

The Audience Award for Fiction Feature was awarded to THE HOLDOVERS directed by Alexander Payne.

The Audience Award for Documentary Feature was awarded to AMERICAN SYMPHONY directed by Matthew Heineman.

The Audience Award for World Cinema was awarded to THE TASTE OF THINGS directed by Trân Anh Hùng.

The Audience Award for Short Film was awarded to OUTSIDER directed by Ted Haimes.

Junior Jury

Each year, The Montclair Film Festival welcomes our Junior Jury, made up of fifteen area high school students representing twelve area schools. The Junior Jury awarded their top prize to PERFECT DAYS directed by Wim Wenders. Award for Andrew Haigh for Screenwriting for ALL OF US STRANGERS. The Junior Jury also awarded a Special Jury Award for for Andrew Haigh for Screenwriting for ALL OF US STRANGERS.

Just saw The Holdovers yesterday and it was excellent :clap3: I see now why it's considered the frontrunner in Original Screenplay and Supporting Actress. The writing was great and Da'Vine Joy Randolph was sublime adding in both warmth & humor in her comedic and dramatic scenes. Giamatti was great adding humanity to his character and won't be surprised to see him nominated. :clap3:

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.