Ed Sheeran - ‘Subtract’

inmymendes

ummmm since when did he know that the trial would be this week? isn't it a little bit suspicious that it was the same week as the album release?

I mean, if he knew in advance and placed the release date the same week for the shake of the promo... and days before he was playing the pity card saying he would retire if he lost the case...

if that's the case he went just too far...

• Replies 342
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Nefertiti0

• Aslan

• inmymendes

• Starkboy

I'm halway.

First tracks are underwhelming (lyrics are nice but the production is so boring for Salt Water etc) but it start gaining interest. I loved End Of Youth.

Curtains >>>>> Eyes Closed

The 1st part of the album was sooo dark & depresing :jonny2: I was not expecting this to be sooo personal & sad

Then it got more friendly but still more like a healing

I see why this album wotn get that much promo, this feels more like a personal album less ambitious compared to the rest of Ed albums :clap3:

Overall this album is really great, my only complain is that is too long I will deaf remove 3-4 songs but this is better  & different than "="

My Faves are:

- Coulour Blind :jonnycat:

- Life Goes On

- Curtains

- End Of Youth

I Will watch the visuals for this 4 songs for sure when they get released by morning  :gaycat5:

The production is also great less comercial & it feats well with the theme of the album 

Curtains should of been the lead imo :ninja:

Salt Water should have been the lead, the perfect song to lead the album. It's so emotional, and captures the mood of the album.

Eyes Closed is honestly very out of place on the album, should have been a bonus track.

:beatfreak:

Edited by Pop Tartlet

"Salt Water", "Eyes Closed", "Boat" and "Stoned" were the highlights for me. The rest didn't work for me. :gaycat6:

He should've pushed "Salt Water" as the lead, could've been his "cardigan"-type moment

I actually like it a lot. It's definitely better than "=". The lyrics are very personal, however I'm not too sure about the production on some tracks.

Salt Water, Curtains and Life Goes On are my top 3 so far, End Of Youth is so close though. 

End of Youth, Curtains, Spark are really beautiful.

But to be honest I'm surprised about the bonus tracks, they are all really beautiful songs. Wildflowers touched me so much, and Moving is so good. Stoned is so sad. :weeps: 

This album is what I wanted, I'm so happy as to how raw and sad the songs are. Ed you did great. :clap3: 

• ATRL Moderator

No Dusty fans in here? :pfff:

I've only listened to the first 5 tracks so far, but 1-4 felt pretty generic to me. Dusty was the first one that stood out.

This is such a beautiful album. The lyrics are so personal and deep, and I like how raw the production is. I love every song on it. Good job, Ed!

I'm really surprised that they picked Eyes Closed as a lead when it doen't represent the sound of the entire album. :dies: I guess they were hoping for a Bad Habit / Shivers type of smash to carry the album? :dies: 

This is actually a really solid album :clap3: it won‘t have a massive debut week but I‘m sure the GP will **** with it, I can see it having better longevity than =

1 hour ago, feelslikeadream said:

No Dusty fans in here? :pfff:

I've only listened to the first 5 tracks so far, but 1-4 felt pretty generic to me. Dusty was the first one that stood out.

Dusty is top 3 for me, but this album is insanely good!

On first listen, minus sounds more “ed” than his latest few records- more raw, more singer-songwriter vibes that made him famous in the first place. Less of the McDonald pop- cookie cutter stuff he has been putting out in the last few years, which is a step up IMO.

That being said, the album has a few misses for me. On songs that sound personal, some of the lyrics just read “generic and applicable to the masses”. Perhaps I’m too used to Taylor’s style of writing VERY specific lyrics to tell a personal story - whilst Ed used too many metaphors to describe feelings, making his personal songs feel less personal. 

The tracklist doesn’t make sense. Boat > salt water built up the emo feels, then eyes closed spoilt the momentum. Why tack on a generic sounding pop song at an attempt of getting a pop hit, on a “personal” album? Salt water >>>> and should have been the lead single to introduce this album. 

Dusty as track 5 also breaks the momentum that tracks 1,2,4 and 6 were trying to create. A clear skip for me- the production is terrible and the whole sound is too “bright” in the context of the album. 

Colourblind has a very beautiful melody, but lyrics are cheese.

Curtain is overall great but I don’t like the repetitive part, though I can see it being pushed as a single (he doesn’t have many choices of a pop hit on this album, though I think that cannnn be a good thing). 

Borderline, spark and Vega are very emotional - and are the strongest row of tracks on the album IMO. 

Didn’t like sycamore, no strings and the hills of aberfeldy. 

Overall: this isn’t a folklore moment for him. Whilst it is overall a stronger effort compared to equals or the terrible collaboration project, there’s still many parts that make me go “hmmm, he’s trying to sound relatable, this doesn’t feel that genuine”. 

It does contain some of his stronger tracks like boat, salt water, life goes on though. 

I'm 4 tracks in and what a bored, not feeling any of them, lyrics may be cute but those melodies do nothing for me.

I'm actually enjoying this. It seems more like a fall album though, he should have released it then

Ed Sheeran’s Apple Music Live performance will debut on Wednesday, May 10, at noon PST on Apple Music at apple.co/AMLEdSheeran.  
In the intimate live performance, Sheeran will showcase his brand-new album, - (pronounced “subtract”), in full for the first time alongside a 12-piece band that includes Aaron Dessner of The National. 
https://www.apple.com/newsroom/2023/05/apple-music-live-returns-for-a-brand-new-season-with-ed-sheeran/

1 hour ago, inmymendes said:

come on work ethic :clap3: 

2 hours ago, UnusualBoy said:

I'm 4 tracks in and what a bored, not feeling any of them, lyrics may be cute but those melodies do nothing for me.

Coming for that erasure on ur signature. 

41 minutes ago, Ger-55 said:

Coming for that erasure on ur signature. 

Lmao, it kinda picked up steam from the the middle and onwards so no, Edward is safe for now.

does he have a shivers level bop on the album or is it just Aaron rejects that sound like a poor man's folkmore?

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.