Did Stole & Simply Deep cause Kelly not be a solo superstar?

Keeandga

She had Dilemma which was a huge hit, but then was set up (by Matthew? The label?) to rush out the album. Being Dilemma was signature rnb song did she throw of her audience with Stole & Simply Deep? Because the audience is we’re not expecting or wanting this from her. I love all the singles so I’m glad she has them in her catalogue, but was too late to course correct it with the subsequent album. 
though? 

ugh I guess

Stole is pop perfection though, that song remains criminally underappreciated :/ 

Love "Stole"...

Terrible first single/follow up to her solo success as a featured artist.

I think she was setup because she broke out before Beyonce. Her solo album wasn't so strong but still did well in the UK. What hurt her was the wait for the follow-up. In those days it felt like an eternity between eras.

12 minutes ago, XtinaStripped said:

I think she was setup because she broke out before Beyonce. Her solo album wasn't so strong but still did well in the UK. What hurt her was the wait for the follow-up. In those days it felt like an eternity between eras.

Possibly & the fact Bey had released her second album by then as well & material wasn’t top tier. 

Stole is more of a third single choice tbh

something else should have followed  Dillemma more in the vein of uptempo r and b

Imagine if she had a song like Family affair has her second single :jonny5:

Stole shouldn’t have been the first single. She should have came harder this is your debut single come on girl.

It feels like a set up honesty they knew that wouldn’t make no noise as lead.

Stole is one of the best pop songs ever. Such a sad track :'( but it's not the type of song you make a big debut from lol

I just think it was obvious Beyonce's dad sabotaged the other girls in some ways. She needed a legit BOP banger like Crazy in Love for a big splashy debut and then Stole could have been her Me Myself and I

29 minutes ago, Katamari said:

Stole is more of a third single choice tbh

something else should have followed  Dillemma more in the vein of uptempo r and b

exactly

Do you think they should of lead with either Can’t Nobody or Past 12 or something more rnb leaning? 

20 minutes ago, Keeandga said:

Do you think they should of lead with either Can’t Nobody or Past 12 or something more rnb leaning? 

Deep doesn't have a strong song for lead single material

I think rushing the album was right decision, it was perfect timing to take advantage of Dilemma buzz

Can't Nobody would flop worldwide

Past 12 lacks a memorable melody

IMO The only alternative to Stole is  'Havent Told You' but they need to remix it more R&B (smth similar to Mary J Blige's Be Without You)

Ultimately Stole was the only option suitable as lead single

Stole

Haven't Told You (R&B mix in US, original for international markets)

Can't Nobody

Train on a Track

12 minutes ago, reymiu said:

Deep doesn't have a strong song for lead single material

I think rushing the album was right decision, it was perfect timing to take advantage of Dilemma buzz

Can't Nobody would flop worldwide

Past 12 lacks a memorable melody

IMO The only alternative to Stole is  'Havent Told You' but they need to remix it more R&B (smth similar to Mary J Blige's Be Without You)

9 minutes ago, reymiu said:

Ultimately Stole was the only option suitable as lead single

Stole

Haven't Told You (R&B mix in US, original for international markets)

Can't Nobody

Train on a Track

Yes, I agree. I think stole was the way to go.  I love Haven’t Told You as well but I’m not too sure that would of worked either. I think rushing it was curse more than anything because the material/some of the songs could of been stronger. 

How is is a setup to strike when you are doing well. The way yous blame everyone else because she didn’t live up to Dilemma success. Blaming Mathew when she dropped him and still wasn’t big after it, who is to blame for that then.  :deadbanana2:

2 minutes ago, Keeandga said:

Yes, I agree. I think stole was the way to go.  I love Haven’t Told You as well but I’m not too sure that would of worked either. I think rushing it was curse more than anything because the material/some of the songs could of been stronger. 

Agree that songs could have been stronger. At the same time the album was a hit

If there's any mistake, it's that Kelly should have pushed more EU / pop support in follow-up albums tbh !

Worldwide audience like her a lot with the right sound (Work Freemasons Remix, When Love Takes Over, Commander etc) Even during Simply Deep era she got a better commercial performance in UK / AUS than in US

Just skimmed the album but the production isn’t good. I like stole but it wasn’t lead single worthy. can’t nobody should’ve been the lead single with stole as the second single. 

honestly it is a weak album. Her later music is MUCH better. Tbh this album compared to dil is like schizophrenic by jc chaez to Justin’s justified. Great singers with bad material. 

12 minutes ago, reymiu said:

Agree that songs could have been stronger. At the same time the album was a hit

If there's any mistake, it's that Kelly should have pushed more EU / pop support in follow-up albums tbh !

Worldwide audience like her a lot with the right sound (Work Freemasons Remix, When Love Takes Over, Commander etc) Even during Simply Deep era she got a better commercial performance in UK / AUS than in US

It felt like anytime she would focus on the UK something would happen in America then she would refocus there and run out of steam here. 

"Set up" to rush the album?

If she didn't release it to capitalize on the success of Dilemma and had the same success the album had anyway, people would be saying she was "set up" to delay her album and didn't capitalize on the success of Dilemma.

No, Kelly’s inconsistency as an artist caused her not to be a superstar.  Don’t even get me started…

2 minutes ago, swissman said:

If she didn't release it to capitalize on the success of Dilemma and had the same success the album had anyway, people would be saying she was "set up" to delay her album and didn't capitalize on the success of Dilemma.

Right.  The excuses run like the wind when it comes to Kelly’s solo career.  Truth is…she’s mad inconsistent.  

Even when she was partially responsible for Dance music wave in the US, she went back to R&B.  Like…?

Her lack of success seems much more deep rooted, tbh.  Especially with all the poor single choices (before and after Mathew).  

Someone needs to do a case study on Kelly’s career. :skull: 

8 minutes ago, swissman said:

I’m taking “Set Up” as rushing the album, to put out material that wasn’t as up to par as it could’ve of been, if given more time. Obviously though like you said , after the success of ‘Dilemma’ they had no choice. 

8 minutes ago, professor2000 said:

No, Kelly’s inconsistency as an artist caused her not to be a superstar.  Don’t even get me started…

This too, she is very inconsistent. I was reffing too this first two eras mainly, but especially the debut. 

Kelly is a prime example of self sabotage. It's shitty decision after shitty decision with her and honestly, she never really had the kind of drive that makes an artist big. 

Edited by SpaceOddity

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.