Sam’s album debuts with 10M (Unholy: 5M, Calvin collab: 2M)

Michael196

46 minutes ago, Michael196 said:

:priceless:

31 minutes ago, UnusualBoy said:

The numbers are between bad and decent. Unholy is such a smash but it didn’t translate into interest for the album. 

In the long run it will probably end between 2-3 billion but Sam will need another hit to get there.

I agree.

”Unholy” became incredibly annoying to me, extremely fast, and I feel as though I lost interest in them as a whole this era. 

This opinion isn’t towards him, personally, because I understand that they’re in a place where they feel free, confident and exhilarated, but the music is lacking substance and SCREAMS “TikTok/Meme’s”. 

:wave:

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Yog

• Bentley

• family.guy123

• PopFan1996

Top Posters In This Topic

It’s been said about so many other artists in the last year so it’s only fair to say it about Sam too. They all but showed hole on Instagram for these numbers? Half of y’all said they’re so brave & inspiring. Couldn’t inspire people to stream the album, though

omg, you would think that having a hit like unholy pre-album would make people interested in listening to his album

I think the album being called Gloria was a misstep. Also interludes should be a thing of the past. 

2 hours ago, James_Dean said:

Dreadful numbers :deadbanana4:  too bad they don't have 5 recent collabs they can tag onto the end of this album just like their last 

Sis….I’ve been in three other threads about Sam and you’re being negative in them all. Please grow up, I beg.

-

Not bad, and I don’t quite know what I expected, but these aren’t bad numbers. As already mentioned, Sam is a slow burn type of artist and there’s easily two more single worthy tracks that could carry the album throughout its cycle. Promotion would also help, but I’m just glad the album turned out to be a step up from Love Goes.

3 hours ago, Yog said:

People need to realize, Sam Smith is an slow burn type of artist when it comes to Spotify streams…

Thrill Of It All debuted at 15M (3.03B now)

Love Goes debuted at 12M (4.657B now)

Gloria will reach 1B pretty soon

But go ahead with the drags when it clearly has huge stability on ITunes & AM

spacer.png

spacer.png

When all you have left is... iTunes :rip: 

"Stability' when it's been out for... a day :rip: 

It's a flop, move on

3 minutes ago, Squall said:

When all you have left is... iTunes :rip: 

"Stability' when it's been out for... a day :rip: 

It's a flop, move on

And APPLE MUSIC, it’s literally #1 in on both accounts in the global side and it will go #1 in their home country, so not an complete flop 

Edited by Yog

21 minutes ago, Yog said:

And APPLE MUSIC, it’s literally #1 in on both accounts in the global side and it will go #1 in their home country, so not an complete flop 

Because it's the first day of release and it's driven by Unholy, stop playing dumb, you know how it works :dies: 

4 hours ago, Yog said:

People need to realize, Sam Smith is an slow burn type of artist when it comes to Spotify streams…

Thrill Of It All debuted at 15M (3.03B now)

Love Goes debuted at 12M (4.657B now)

This is so dishonest. Those albums debuted low but have a high total because of the songs released BEFORE the album (in Love Goes case those songs were +1 year old :deadbanana4:). You're right that this album will get a big total, but that is because of Unholy's success. It will literally be 90% of the album streams :redface:

4 hours ago, R.E.M. said:

is Solana's crown safe? :doc: that 8th week at #1 would be cute

WHo the **** is that :rip:

Sam is currently in a weird spot where their image is no longer catering to the AC crowd, but the music hasn't made the same (full) leap forward. Who is looking forward to a Sam Smith album in 2023? They're too outwardly queer for their old AC audience, but, probably due to label interference, still try to cater to them with stuff like the Ed Sheeran track.

Couple that with the (bigoted) Twitter backlash they get every time they do literally anything, a weak pre-release track, and the fact that the album is really short, and you have the recipe for numbers like these.

They need to give us an album with Disclosure.

Edited by ATWK

• ATRL Moderator
35 minutes ago, ATWK said:

Sam is currently in a weird spot where their image is no longer catering to the AC crowd, but the music hasn't made the same (full) leap forward. Who is looking forward to a Sam Smith album in 2023? They're too outwardly queer for their old AC audience, but, probably due to label interference, still try to cater to them with stuff like the Ed Sheeran track.

Couple that with the (bigoted) Twitter backlash they get every time they do literally anything, a weak pre-release track, and the fact that the album is really short, and you have the recipe for numbers like these.

They need to give us an album with Disclosure.

MTE

6 hours ago, family.guy123 said:

Very good numbers!! Millions of aspiring artists would literally kill for this type of success 

SZA will probably bounce back to #1. It's a kpop group. It'll free-fall like a rock

1 hour ago, Machete said:

This is so dishonest. Those albums debuted low but have a high total because of the songs released BEFORE the album (in Love Goes case those songs were +1 year old :deadbanana4:). You're right that this album will get a big total, but that is because of Unholy's success. It will literally be 90% of the album streams :redface:

I agree about Love Goes but not about Thrill of Art. That one has good streams in it's album tracks

25 minutes ago, PopFan1996 said:

I agree about Love Goes but not about Thrill of Art. That one has good streams in it's album tracks

Literally good chuck of the album tracks has 100+ streams 

Edited by Yog

A Massive Flop

Not Solar Power, Smile and Holy **** outselling :rip:

32 minutes ago, PopFan1996 said:

SZA will probably bounce back to #1. It's a kpop group. It'll free-fall like a rock

I’m referring to Sam

This is bad, but not surprising. Sam has basically become a singles artist this decade, Love Goes has almost 5B streams but the numbers are mainly coming from the singles, I don't think that album has one non-single track with over 50M streams.

I still think they can get another hit from Gloria and give the album a nice amount of streams when it's all said and done.

Unholy is not the type of song that will bring interest in the artist like Miley’s flowers or Harry’s AIW. So the fact it does not translate in the album success is predicted. I hope he will snag another hit as he deserves. 

But with streaming, whoever can still sell album should be respected, it’s so hard for the GP to stream the whole album these days let alone buying them.

37 minutes ago, Scars said:

This is bad, but not surprising. Sam has basically become a singles artist this decade, Love Goes has almost 5B streams but the numbers are mainly coming from the singles, I don't think that album has one non-single track with over 50M streams.

I still think they can get another hit from Gloria and give the album a nice amount of streams when it's all said and done.

You know what **** it, I’ll accept that in fact in this streaming age, singles are more essential than most albums..

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.