Kesha - 'Gag Order'

josesuxx

The queen is back. The high road was sooo good, can’t wait for her comeback. Loving the cover and name as well.

• Replies 5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• TomTom

• CroNich

• SmittenCake

• josesuxx

On 3/21/2023 at 9:31 AM, gloamingtheplain said:

She’s dragging this out. I’m guessing she’s just waiting for a quiet period. 

I doubt she’s gonna have a hit but this is also her last chance to have one I guess. 

Who said it’s gonna be her last chance for a hit? We’re in the streaming age/TikTok she, anything can happen.

and also, no one expects from Kesha to do big numbers anyway.

smoore95GAGA
31 minutes ago, KeshaSwift said:

The high road was sooo good

spacer.png

Just now, smoore95GAGA said:

spacer.png

It was a great album with some songs not being greatly produced. But the strong melodies vocals and hooks are still there :clap3:

OT; I’m sooooo perched.

So I guess we’re never getting that folk album. For shame. 

31 minutes ago, KeshaSwift said:

Who said it’s gonna be her last chance for a hit? We’re in the streaming age/TikTok she, anything can happen.

and also, no one expects from Kesha to do big numbers anyway.

What I mean is, this is her last album with RCA I believe and I doubt after the hell she’s been through she’s going to sign with someone else. So it’s her last chance to get a hit with a major label. 

That said after hearing the material, it’s clear she’s just making music shes passionate about rather than radio friendly so she’s probably not trying to make hits anymore. But I guess I’ll reserve full judgement until I hear the album. I think High Road not doing the rounds that Rainbow did kind of made her realise she should focus on her artistry rather than being a “pop star” but that’s just the vibes I get from the snippets. 

5 minutes ago, gloamingtheplain said:

I doubt after the hell she’s been through she’s going to sign with someone else.

I wouldn't be sure about that at all. 

Kesha never had any issues with RCA, the issue was always Luke and the former Sony executive that protected him. She could totally re-sign with RCA on better terms without Luke as intermediary or with another major label.

In fact, it's not far-fetched to believe RCA spent so much money on a Rick Rubin-produced album in exchange for her staying with them after Gag Order is released. Not saying that's gonna happen for sure, but I wouldn't be surprised if that was the case - especially considering so many female artists left them that Kesha and P!nk are basically the only moderately successful veteran artists remaining there.

22 minutes ago, TomTom2288 said:

Kesha never had any issues with RCA, the issue was always Luke and the former Sony executive that protected him. She could totally re-sign with RCA on better terms without Luke as intermediary or with another major label.

In fact, it's not far-fetched to believe RCA spent so much money on a Rick Rubin-produced album in exchange for her staying with them after Gag Order is released. Not saying that's gonna happen for sure, but I wouldn't be surprised if that was the case - especially considering so many female artists left them that Kesha and P!nk are basically the only moderately successful veteran artists remaining there.

I've never thought about that but that's a good point. No disrespect to Kesha as I've always been a massive stan and she's one of my most played artists, but I was wondering about how she managed to get Rick Rubin to produce her entire album. I doubt her label would funnel that money into a post-High Road project for no reason, and it's not like she's even been renowned as a singer or writer - the "wow, she's actually got talent" narrative she gained during Rainbow was pretty short-lived, so I also doubt Rubin was dying to work with her. I can only imagine he gave her a discounted rate because of her situation, or the label wanted to keep her on board once her contract is up. 

Regardless, I'm glad he's on board because I think this album will be Kesha reaching her near full potential and really delivering a solid creative vision

I can see her signing to a label like Dead Oceans or Rough Trade, one of those bigger indie labels that take in more popular artists and offer them a lot of creative freedom

29 minutes ago, TomTom2288 said:

2 minutes ago, HeavyMetalAura said:

I've never thought about that but that's a good point. No disrespect to Kesha as I've always been a massive stan and she's one of my most played artists, but I was wondering about how she managed to get Rick Rubin to produce her entire album. I doubt her label would funnel that money into a post-High Road project for no reason, and it's not like she's even been renowned as a singer or writer - the "wow, she's actually got talent" narrative she gained during Rainbow was pretty short-lived, so I also doubt Rubin was dying to work with her. I can only imagine he gave her a discounted rate because of her situation, or the label wanted to keep her on board once her contract is up. 

Regardless, I'm glad he's on board because I think this album will be Kesha reaching her near full potential and really delivering a solid creative vision

true! I didn't really consider that, that could definitely be a factor

I also think it's possible that Rick Rubin was wanting to work with Kesha since Rainbow and they had previously been in contact. I feel like even though what I bolded is pretty accurate, I do think that there's been more respect put unto her name in the past few years and in songwriter circles it hasn't quite gone away. besides, High Road was more of a flop than Rainbow was, it almost went under the radar in certain parts of the pop world...

I have high hopes for this album, i think it could be her best album yet, so excited :duca:

does anyone know if the singles will be released at midnight US time or local time?

16 minutes ago, HeavyMetalAura said:

I doubt her label would funnel that money into a post-High Road project for no reason, and it's not like she's even been renowned as a singer or writer - the "wow, she's actually got talent" narrative she gained during Rainbow was pretty short-lived, so I also doubt Rubin was dying to work with her. I can only imagine he gave her a discounted rate because of her situation, or the label wanted to keep her on board once her contract is up. 

Yeah, exactly! It would really make sense if there was a long-term perspective from RCA‘s side for making such a big investment.

Though I do think Kesha has a reputation as a strong songwriter in industry circles, she considers herself to be a songwriter first and foremost and it’s not a coincidence she wrote so many songs for other artists.

I can actually see Rick Rubin being interested in working with Kesha. She is so versatile that she can do virtually any genre which sounds like a dream from a producer perspective and coupled with her strong writing skills, there is a lot of potential. It probably wasn’t his idea and RCA surely did a lot to make that happen, but I don’t believe it’s completely one-sided (the Rolling Stone piece stated that Kesha and Rick bonded spiritually).

16 hours ago, Alaska. said:

I've been listening to Praying a lot again and it's still such an incredible piece of art. The Grammys were so wrong for not giving her the award and instead give it to that chart obsessed gremlin and his terrible overplayed song.

If this album is well received I wonder if it will get some noms.

grammy nominations & wins have become so random lately with the removal of the committee & the expansion of number of nominees so i think it's possible for her to get nominated if the album is critically acclaimed

39 minutes ago, HeavyMetalAura said:

Kesha is very highly regarded and respected by people in the industry so I wouldn’t be surprised if Rick did want to work with her

Just now, Superbitch said:

I wonder if we’ll get a praying moment here :duca:

I don’t think either single will necessarily be a big commercial success. I think they’re hoping more for the album to be commercially successful and acclaimed. 

1 hour ago, gloamingtheplain said:

So I guess we’re never getting that folk album. For shame. 

Let's not lose our hope just yet :gaycat4: She's hopefully got a long career ahead of her, there's still time to explore all the genres she loves and excels at. I'm sure we will get an alt/rock album down the line, as well as a folk one. I can even see her getting into her Hare Krishna bag like George Harrison someday :rip: And I would eat it up!!!

But I feel like this is exactly the type of album she should be releasing right now and I'm very happy about it despite having begged for a full on folk/country record for years lol

What song do y’all think you’ll listen to first out of Fine Line and ETA?

47 minutes ago, HeavyMetalAura said:

Or they simply met and connected on a personal level idk. They seem to share similar views and could have developed a friendship based on that, and it evolved into making music together. Rubin seems so chill, I doubt money/recognition is a key factor in choosing who he works with at this point in his career.

Also, his podcast is so great. I hope he invites K for an episode soon, I'd love that so much :alexz:

Edited by Child of the Moon

1 minute ago, CroNich said:

Fine Line, I think.

1 minute ago, Child of the Moon said:

Or they simply met and connected on a personal level idk. They seem to share similar views and could have developed a friendship based on that, and it evolved into making music together. Rubin seems so chill, I doubt money/recognition is a key factor in choosing who he works with at this point in his career.

Also, his podcast is so great. I hope he invites K for an episode soon, I'd love that so much :alexz:

Well the rolling stone article says their both pisces and sensitive souls so I definitely they would’ve just clicked on a personal level.

Just now, CroNich said:

Well the rolling stone article says their both pisces and sensitive souls so I definitely they would’ve just clicked on a personal level.

Yes exactly :heart: I'd love to hear more about how they found each other and about their working relationship

1 hour ago, JoeAg said:

true! I didn't really consider that, that could definitely be a factor

I also think it's possible that Rick Rubin was wanting to work with Kesha since Rainbow and they had previously been in contact. I feel like even though what I bolded is pretty accurate, I do think that there's been more respect put unto her name in the past few years and in songwriter circles it hasn't quite gone away. besides, High Road was more of a flop than Rainbow was, it almost went under the radar in certain parts of the pop world...

how was rainbow a flop????

46 minutes ago, CroNich said:

if its a release like Kelly's Mine / Me 2-track single release i'd go for whichever is track 1

but if theyre separate, ill go for ETA :jonnycat:

smoore95GAGA
1 hour ago, JoeAg said:

I can see her signing to a label like Dead Oceans or Rough Trade, one of those bigger indie labels that take in more popular artists and offer them a lot of creative freedom

What popular artists have those labels signed? I’m not aware of any :gaycat6: