Kesha - 'Gag Order'

josesuxx

on All I Need Is You and I’m already in love with this album just as I knew I would be :heart:

• Like 1

• Replies 5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• TomTom

• CroNich

• SmittenCake

• josesuxx

Very ambitious, cohesive, raw, mature album. She’s such a talent, and Rick Rubin was a great choice of collaborator. :clap3:

not feeling it first listen, but it's very different and very emotional so she did well.

I still love Eat The Acid :heart:

8 minutes ago, Pink Whitney said:

Too Far Gone is so gorgeous & relatable :chick3:

+1

it’s my keep coming back track atm

Really enjoying this album and it's experimental wasn't expecting that. Going to give it a second listen. 

THE DRAMA :jonny3: this song feels like it has all the incredible parts of her more offbeat unreleased songs like Frenzy and Aliens Invading but just coalesced into some beautiful, epic art pop centerpiece!!! I LOVE IT

• Like 1

THE OUTRO OF TOO FAR GONE PLEEEEASE i’m ABOUT TO CRY :jonny4:

WOW OH WOW, this is so much better than I was expecting, and the bar was already in heaven with ETA :jonny5:

Not a single song I disliked or felt iffy about, but let me listen obsessively until I can form cohesive thoughts again :jonny5:

• Like 1

great and now i’m shaking my damn jewish tuchas to f*ckin PEACE & QUIET YESSSSS :katie2:

oh Hate Me Harder is so much better as a piano ballad holy bajeeeezus :sosad:

One of my favorite albums this year for sure, this is a GAG literally :jonny:

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, JoeAg said:

oh Hate Me Harder is so much better as a piano ballad holy bajeeeezus :sosad:

I thought the same, it hit so much harder and works so well within the album!

was she playing stray while recording The Drama because I swear the cat sound effects is from that game :laugh:

37 minutes ago, madonnas said:

She should have scrapped HMH though, that was ass. 

:bibliahh:

okay time for my review after my first listen:

Spoiler

wow. ok holy sh*t wow. so first of all, whenever I listen to a new album I typically like to heart the songs that stand out the most on first listen. however, sometimes, on a rare album where I feel there’s nothing that stands way higher than everything surrounding it, I heart nothing. those albums, in my eyes, are f*cking skip-free. and Kesha just gave us one of those albums. goddamn. where do I even start? Something to Believe In and Happy are perfect bookends, couldn’t have asked for better ones! Eat the Acid is obviously an all-timer for me, it’s just avant-pop at its finest. Living in My Head, though slightly out of place, is a lowkey stunner and a song I NEED to cover like asap. Only Love Can Save Us Now and Peace & Quiet are obviously strobe light party pop jewels, but there’s some bangerness to The Drama as well that makes it a charmer. And the ballads. Holy f*ck are they marvelous or what! This album is nowhere near as dark & stormy as I was expecting it to be. Not quite as minor key. The melodic dissonance rattles me to my core when I read those incredibly potent lyrics. I believe this will indeed rival Rainbow as her magnum opus. There’s so much to dissect, to digest, so I just hit play again. One thing’s for sure: I  love Kesha so f*cking much and I’m so proud to be an Animal right now!!

• Like 3

4 minutes ago, Allday said:

was she playing stray while recording The Drama because I swear the cat sound effects is from that game :laugh:

Her 3 cats are credited on the song haha

Just now, bearman said:

Her 3 cats are credited on the song haha

wait that's actually really cute :laugh:

• Like 1

3 hours ago, CroNich said:

Are we listening to the same album? How can album with the drama, only love can save us now, all I need is you and peace and quiet sound one note?

One note as in it’s one mood, one story, one side. I personally love the album as a body of work, but I’m not drawn to a singular song. All the songs you mentioned are fragments of Kesha’s mental state the past few years and while I enjoy them, I don’t really relate to them which isn’t a problem as I don’t relate to a percentage of songs I enjoy,  but also means I don’t see myself really wanting to reach for any song in particular and may only want to listen to the actual album once in a blue moon.

I just found the experience kind of flat as the whole album reflects one piece of what she can offer as an artist and that’s a piece that I think is artistically great, but one that I can’t really connect to or find reasons to want to reach for it. I’m glad I got to experience it but I doubt if I will want to again more than every now and then. Meanwhile with Warrior and Rainbow, they became essential parts of my most played albums. 

3 hours ago, TomTom2288 said:

But this versatility and individual charisma for each song was the whole theme of the album (Rainbow) itself and not simply an artistic choice. The breadth of the record reflects the rainbow it is supposed to showcase.

The whole premise of this album is different because it’s genesis is not breadth, but depth. It reveals the unvarnished truth of Kesha‘s state of mind in a way none of her previous albums did, so this degree of cohesiveness and recurring themes/emotions is a feature of the album itself (and not a bug).

That doesn’t necessarily have to be everyone’s personal preference, but it makes perfect sense in the context of the album.

It does make sense and I can respect it the same way I go to an art gallery to view art. Did I enjoy going to the art gallery and experiencing what was on offer? Absolutely. Do I want that art in my house? Absolutely not. 

This album kind of feels like that. It’s an artistic piece of work, much like the Rainbow film. It’s not really the type of album like her past works that I think are meant to be enjoyed the same way. 

4 hours ago, collin said:

Love this. Totally agree. I also think she will have even more to give after this. I really hope she signs with a major alternative/indie label.

I really hope she does too she deserves so much better

3 hours ago, TomTom2288 said:

But this versatility and individual charisma for each song was the whole theme of the album (Rainbow) itself and not simply an artistic choice. The breadth of the record reflects the rainbow it is supposed to showcase.

The whole premise of this album is different because it’s genesis is not breadth, but depth. It reveals the unvarnished truth of Kesha‘s state of mind in a way none of her previous albums did, so this degree of cohesiveness and recurring themes/emotions is a feature of the album itself (and not a bug).

That doesn’t necessarily have to be everyone’s personal preference, but it makes perfect sense in the context of the album.

I love that you said this! :clap3:

• Like 1

finished the album and My Trinity will have to be Peace & Quiet, Something to Believe In & Eat The Acid :heart:

• Like 2

Favorite song is All I Need Is You. Enjoy The Drama, Too Far Gone & Happy.