Warner Bros considering sale of its music library

mystery

FINANCIAL TIMES: Warner Bros Discovery weighs sale of music library to pare debt

Warner Bros Discovery is exploring a sale of its music library that could be valued at more than $1bn, according to people familiar with the matter, the latest move by chief executive David Zaslav to reduce debt at the sprawling Hollywood empire. 

The Warner Bros movie studio created a music division in the 1950s. In 2004 parent company Time Warner sold the music division, but the group retained its copyrights to a trove of songs, such as the soundtracks to the Batman films. Warner is shopping around this catalogue to potential buyers as it tries to capitalise on a hot market for music copyrights, said three people familiar with the matter. The assets could be worth more than $1bn, one of the people said.

The process is in early stages and any deal would hold stipulations over access to and use of certain soundtracks, said one person close to the situation. The move comes after Zaslav’s team has axed prominent projects such as the CNN Plus streaming service, JJ Abrams’s HBO series Demimonde and the movie Batgirl during the final stages of its production.

Edited by mystery

Does that mean there is no budget for DL3? :chick2:

Girl needs budget.. We need bops

Edited by Johnny Jacobs

2 minutes ago, Johnny Jacobs said:

Does that mean there is no budget for DL3? :chick2:

Girl needs budget.. We need bops

This isn't related to the label. 

Funny seeing the financialization of the world take an even more ridiculous turn. I can't wait to see how the market for ''music copyrights'' goes. 

This merger is quite literally destroying Warners. As an old Hollywood fan, I'm extremely concerned about this merger doing a number on their massive collection of classics. :dancehall3: I assume the music rights their auctioning off include all of their old Hollywood stuff which would be a disaster if it got into the wrong hands. :!ohno:

Edited by Miss Show Business

Just now, Miss Show Business said:

This merger is quite literally destroying Warners. As an old Hollywood fan, I'm extremely concerned about this merger doing a number on their massive collection of classics. :dancehall3: I assume the rights their auctioning off include all of their old Hollywood stuff which would be a disaster if it got into the wrong hands. :!ohno:

I am thinking that they are probably doing all of this to strip the company to the bones then sell it to someone else.  

This could just be the alarmist in me but why is this giving me end times vibes 

Genuinely curious here, who the hell do we complain to about David Zaslav cancelling literally everything that Warner Brothers was doing well? CEO’s can be removed and this out of touch old white **** needs to go. 

The Snyder cult want Warner to sell DC/the SnyderVerse to Netflix :rip:.

Netflix cancels filmed superhero series without showing an episode

Jupiter's Legacy cancelled: Superhero series axed by Netflix after just one season

They should sell DC to Amazon, not Trashflix. The Boys and Invincible are two of the best superhero projects ever.

WB can’t catch a break :rip:

that Zaslav or whatever guy is truly ……. making **** so much worse and apparently no one can stop him :skull: 

7 hours ago, Miss Show Business said:

This merger is quite literally destroying Warners. As an old Hollywood fan, I'm extremely concerned about this merger doing a number on their massive collection of classics. :dancehall3: I assume the music rights their auctioning off include all of their old Hollywood stuff which would be a disaster if it got into the wrong hands. :!ohno:

thank you!! these are my exact thoughts, I feel like no one thinks about classic movies and importance of such a historic studio. I hope that the Warner Archive releases won’t be shut down (they seem to be safe for now)

but the worst part is that it’s practically confirmed that Zaslav is doing all this to make WB financially attractive to other buyers, and Universal will most likely end up buying the studio in 2024. it will be like Fox all over again :dancehall3:

21 hours ago, qurl said:

that Zaslav or whatever guy is truly ……. making **** so much worse and apparently no one can stop him :skull: 

to play devil's advocate, he's trying to fix the **** others had done before him

The company has a total debt of $50.4 billion, with just $2.5 billion of cash on hand

u6lvq5ja3juq.gif

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.