K-Pop Thread: 2023 Archive

Ryan

speaking of XG i feel like both of their recent releases aren’t doing well :skull:

hope the title track lives up to the hype of their previous era

• Replies 132.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Save-Me-Oprah

• Pluto6

• Witnessed ET

• illia

Top Posters In This Topic

Like the original is already the best Kpop song but the Japanese version is mopping the floor with ease  :cm:

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, hallucinate said:

speaking of XG i feel like both of their recent releases aren’t doing well :skull:

hope the title track lives up to the hype of their previous era

Streaming-wise both songs kicked off better than Tippy Toes and Mascara but yeah it's not Shooting Star/Left Right level YET (although I see a lot of TGIF Tiktoks, maybe it will go viral we'll see)

• Like 2

41 minutes ago, Magdalene said:

this is a very fair point, i would love to get to a point where singing in English isn’t necessary and radio loses its xenophobia 

there are so many excellent kpop songs that would fit perfectly on current radio, it’s just that language barrier

i feel like so many people passively listen to radio where if it’s a good enough melody to hum along to it shouldn’t matter the language, a bop is a bop! 

You also see this with Japanese discographies of most kpop groups. I always find that most kpop songs sound much better in korean than their japanese or english versions because they don't know what the **** they are singing and just try to imitate the sounds of the lyrics.

That being said, there are many english pop songs by east asian stars that i think are excellent.:heart:

Edited by naomi24

43 minutes ago, Flomik said:

This is still the best K-pop music video of the year

Not you picking their most basic MV they released this year when Shooting Star, GRL GVNG and TGIF is right there :deadbanana:

27 minutes ago, Chemist said:

BGs can't make music like this anymore :sadviolin:

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Down 3

6 minutes ago, naomi24 said:

That being said, there are many english pop songs by east asian stars that i think are excellent.:heart:

Don't Speak is such a bop, deserved to be a worldwide hit :ghostface:

Edited by Pluto2022
  • Like 1

Kpop/korean singers really knows how to do whatever this genre of RnB is called ...

If this side of korean music had more exposure they would be eaten up western audience.

Edited by naomi24
  • Like 1

45 minutes ago, Chemist said:

This is the unit I want for Doyoung and Jaeh, not Jungwoo. One of my favorites songs from them.

Lisa truly secured that billionaire dick. good for ha! not that she needs it but still

Somi securing that viral tiktok hit. 

the gays are loving over there.

57 minutes ago, Magdalene said:

i don’t know how to really explain it but any time I hear a kpop english song on the radio it sounds like the tier of pop is on the level of like tate mcrae, jax, jvke and not like the main pop girls 

even i enjoy seven but it sounds kinda unremarkable on the radio, like filler

i kinda need min heejin to keep doing her thing with V because newjeans’ sound is trendy but still refreshing to american audiences

i need an idol to work with max martin on their next english song or something, like let’s make some S+ pop music if we’re going full english 

One of the things I noticed while listen to actual FM analog radio is that the kpop songs weren't being mixed correctly for the way FM radio compresses songs.  Now, it has gotten better with "Left Right" and "Cupid" sounding as good as possible, but even the mix they're using for "Super Shy" is not doing as well as it should. 

Of course, better than when "Boy With Luv" was put into rotation with a mix that exposed radio station employees don't listen to the radio, either.

:cm:

22 minutes ago, Pluto2022 said:

Don't Speak is such a bop, deserved to be a worldwide hit :ghostface:

:superman:i was so obsessed with it when it came out

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Magdalene said:

i don’t know how to really explain it but any time I hear a kpop english song on the radio it sounds like the tier of pop is on the level of like tate mcrae, jax, jvke and not like the main pop girls 

even i enjoy seven but it sounds kinda unremarkable on the radio, like filler

i kinda need min heejin to keep doing her thing with V because newjeans’ sound is trendy but still refreshing to american audiences

i need an idol to work with max martin on their next english song or something, like let’s make some S+ pop music if we’re going full english 

I mean K-pop is K-pop because of the idol trainee system, Korean lyrics, visuals, fan interaction 

If it were just the same music but in English it’s literally just that…

It’s Western demo’s tweaked with Korean lyrics :skull:

12 minutes ago, naomi24 said:

Kpop/korean singers really knows how to do whatever this genre of RnB is called ...

If this side of korean music had more exposure they would be eaten up western audience.

Oh you came through with the deep cuts :clap3:

It’s been too long since I listened Whale (or anything from that album, actually), a spin is in order 

1 hour ago, Chemist said:

Impeccable song!

NCT Golden Age will bring this level of excellence back :1stplace:

SUPER excited for the Better Things release, it will surely be the final nail in aespa’s coffin :alexz:

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, motherpills said:

[KOREAN] TOGETHER WE DEM GIRS WE DEM GIRS WE DEM GIRS

The biggest teaserfish ever 

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, levi_valvi said:

Oh you came through with the deep cuts :clap3:

It’s been too long since I listened Whale (or anything from that album, actually), a spin is in order 

that akmu album was it :superman:chantey Freedom Moon Whale Shouldvr loved you more

• Like 1

I like V's song a lot, but most of all I like that MHJ had the good sense to put her foot down and EXILE whoever BTS's usual vocal producer is. She said NOT on my watch and thank God she did. He sounds like a human being for possibly the first time since 2015 :deadbanana2:

SJJD was truly spectacular. A lighting-in-the-bottle alignment of excellent pop songwriters and a legendary group in their absolute prime. 3 brilliant albums that have aged extremely well despite now all being a decade old. I wanted them to release more music but looking back there is something iconic about the fact that they released a trilogy of classics and then dipped

I will never forgive Universal Japan for the fact that the albums still arent on Spotify :deadbanana2:

• Like 7

Taehyung’s voice sounds so much better than in most of BTS’s recent output where it’s audio tuned to death. I was liking the song until the English chorus, the song’s okay but I usually prefer more uptempo music. He looks fine as f*ck though as usual!

• Like 1