K-Pop Thread: 2023 Archive

Ryan

9 minutes ago, Ryan said:

Charts chasing them with as many times as they top it. Lmao

yeah like getting crazy playlisting when your song is not even on the top 100 of Spotify global but yeah they aren’t chasing the charts. Doing a whole western release in order to chart on BB100 but they aren’t chasing the charts?

Edited by Adama

• Replies 132.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Save-Me-Oprah

• Pluto6

• Witnessed ET

• illia

Top Posters In This Topic

2 minutes ago, Sugden said:

why you guys acting like new jewans flooped they did pretty good

anyways the people who used them to drag new jeans must feel silly

Tweet is deleted for a reason :deadbanana4:

9 minutes ago, Ryan said:

Charts chasing them with as many times as they top it. Lmao

Clear

So short yet impactful reply 

spacer.png

2 minutes ago, Sugden said:

why you guys acting like new jewans flooped they did pretty good

anyways the people who used them to drag new jeans must feel silly

This is just 1 hour of tracking though

The full day is 618k

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Flomik said:

This is just 1 hour of tracking though

The full day is 618k

That's not bad at all :eek:

3 minutes ago, Adama said:

yeah like getting crazy playlisting when your song is not even on the top 100 of Spotify global but yeah they aren’t chasing the charts. Doing a whole western release in order to chart on BB100 but they aren’t chasing the charts?

keep it cute. a group can retain artistic integrity while also being mindful of a global release strategy. kpop is a business after all - you can do both without seeming desperate 

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, SandyJeans said:

keep it cute. a group can retain artistic integrity while also being mindful of a global release strategy. kpop is a business after all - you can do both without seeming desperate 

Then they don’t have to say that they don’t care about the charts!  That simple  :cm:

« artistic integrity » in Kpop  lol :dies:

Edited by Adama

29 minutes ago, fauxtography said:

It seems intentional tho. They still aren't youtube magnets either.

Maybe it was just coincidence but it feels like they intentionally aren't going for big "kpop comeback" type marketing and instead want the music to do better longterm.

I think that's the biggest reason why i can't fully get into them even though their music is objectively progressive, fun and fresh

I came to Kpop for bangers, experimental bops, high-energy music and creative/extravagant visual concepts (which is severely lacking in the Western world). And i feel like that's what defines Kpop as a genre as opposed to "pop music from korean idols".  

some people are so weirdly pressed by NewJeans having competent team and amazing music :rip: just stan them instead of dreaming your fave group could be like them, get their treatment and material lol 

• Like 10
  • Thanks 1
  • Thumbs Down 1

pretty much everything surrounding NewJeans is creative and artistic and ador geos so much further with it than other companies

but it seems like KTRL only deems something "experimental" when it's blatant noise :chick1:

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 4

1 minute ago, Adama said:

Then don’t say that they don’t care about the charts that simple as if they were above :cm:

« artistic integrity » in Kpop  lol :dies:

fair. I know others specifically mentioned charts, I disagree and personally think ADOR is mindful about charts and expanding into the global market intentionally while also remaining true to what they've deemed the NJ sound and image

also there's plenty of artistic integrity in Kpop - just because its a business doesn't mean it's not art 

no artistic integrity is that TXT x Jonas Brothers collab and Bang PD saying they need to chart on the Hot 100 :toofunny2:

spacer.pngspacer.png

i miss my man :'(

ot: and the twitter links are not working nnn

Edited by hallucinate
  • Like 1

6 minutes ago, Sept said:

I think that's the biggest reason why i can't fully get into them even though their music is objectively progressive, fun and fresh

I came to Kpop for bangers, experimental bops, high-energy music and creative/extravagant visual concepts (which is severely lacking in the Western world). And i feel like that's what defines Kpop as a genre as opposed to "pop music from korean idols".  

i think that's fair and valid. if more people just admitted that instead of needlessly bashing NJ and their sound we would all be much happier. self-awareness :heart:

4 minutes ago, ItsJustMe. said:

this was kpop's artistic peak btw

also this self-produced HIT by Wonder Girls :bird: a summer anthem

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Witnessed ET said:

A very weird comparison because Twice is not a dance group, it has 3mix who are capable vocalists and Itzy has nowhere near the success or career that Twice has. 

TWICE have good studio vocalists, as much as I love Sana and Nayeonce. I just don’t see the girls lasting too long without strong vocals to fall back on, and we can already see that in the digitals.

1 hour ago, fauxtography said:

NewJeans lead the pack because of their streaming relevance alone.

It’s not really a fair comparison because HYBE uses Discovery Mode. IVE, Aespa, G-IDLE and ITZY are all getting curb-stomped by LSF on Spotify, too, even though LSF have yet to release a national. Artists without Discovery Mode cannot compare.

2 hours ago, lauvender said:

SM probably feels dumb for not trusting MHJ’s vision and giving her more creative control. For a company that’s supposed to be creative and artsy they sure have been bland asf lately.

HYBE is laughing 🤭 

It’s nice to see SM losing. After all of the fuckery they’ve pulled on the women in the label, this feels like just desserts!

2 hours ago, Ryan said:

I was still easing my way back into ATRL during that time. I’ve been in rehab since last September so my internet was spotty. 

My bad, sis. Hope things are going well for you. 

1 hour ago, Century said:

Same thing happened with Blinks who thought Teddy's **** was new for them too when we had all played it out 5 years earlier. Get up has been Pink Tape 2 conceptually. :dies: I think NJ are the brightest rising stars that I've ever seen since becoming a fan during mid 2nd gen though and I think you're downplaying that more than a bit with these takes. Also while they've been stuck in their sound for several singles in a row, that sound was still very fresh a year ago and didn't sound like anything RV, fx, or SNSD ever did.

I can see how new K-pop fans would be gagged, but it just gets annoying when we already saw it a decade ago. MHJ’s ideas are timeless, but the music needs a little more personality and kick.

And I’m not shitting on NewJeans, but I’m not overhyping them, either. They’re A-level performers, A-level visuals and C-level vocalists. They have the top creative mind ever backing them, but they’re in one of the worst labels musically right now and they’re rehashing for the third comeback in a row. It’s disappointing for the people who were rooting for them to come out and really do something unique.

35 minutes ago, Pluto2022 said:

The thing with NewJeans is that all their songs either feels like they are pre-releases or just b-sides, but none of their songs actually fells like an actual title track if that makes sense? Like every song feels like a pre-release to something big that's about to come, that never comes btw and it's just another chill basic song, even if I like some of their songs. 

more like all of their songs having amazing quality and being single worthy, their material being enjoyable from start to finish 

that’s something different that regular kpop messy title and throwaway weak b-sides

21 minutes ago, fauxtography said:

Hypeboy was viral and OMG did pretty bad on youtube. (its not even seen as the video anymore since the choreo vid has 5x the views.) :rip:

They just aren't doing the "grand" first week release with the imminent drop. Its less about release and more about stretching the era's.

you’re making things up at this point

they don’t use any ads there yet OMG have mv at 132m (dp, but named „official mv” if you missed it), long ass video with 25m and audio over 130m 

they are literally the most streamed artist on yt in SK in the the past year :rip:

they are about to hit 2b in a year there, again, without ads 

actually they are above any 4th gen group in the past year:rip: including Stray Kids 

24 minutes ago, Adama said:

I’m literally a BLINK lol! I’m more used to hiatus than you lol 

No, cause I used to be huge Blink as well and BP got me into Kpop to begin with. I kinda moved on from BP due to their long hiatuses and I discovered other groups, but I still love my girls especially Jisus :heart:

However a BP hiatus and a EVERGLOW hiatus are not the same, cause BP are usually on hiatuses for fun! However a group like EVERGLOW or any other group that are having an almost 2 year hiatus means that something serious is going on behind the scenes and could result to disbandment.

AND I CAN'T WAIT ANYMORE, AND I'M TIRED OF WONDERING IF EVERGLOW ARE GOING TO DISBAND OR NOT

mad-girl-mean.gif

24 minutes ago, SandyJeans said:

beautiful gowns (trailer) but then they proceed to release the weakest follow up to smash-hit Antifragile with Unforgiven :toofunny2:

also something about their concept. it's takes itself too seriously sometimes you have to roll your eyes because it's slightly pretentious (I blame Bang PD and his influence since parts of that can be seen with BTS and TXT lore concepts and branding)

Unforgiven is literally SOTY along with Shooting Star! :fish2:

5 minutes ago, fauxtography said:

It seems intentional tho. They still aren't youtube magnets either.

Maybe it was just coincidence but it feels like they intentionally aren't going for big "kpop comeback" type marketing and instead want the music to do better longterm.

Hence why their music is so easily replayable cause it makes the listener wanting for more, since their songs are so short and doesn't leave a big impact upon 1 listen only while being very easy to listen to. MHJ is kinda a genius when you think about it

1 minute ago, Take Me Apart said:

you're just too used to overproduced mess,

on a good album, every song is equally good and you shouldn't be able to tell the title track apart

Title tracks are usually songs that stand out and leaves a big impact on the listener, but that doesn't mean the title tracks are always better than b-sides etc.

Like if we look at IVE's latest album, then I prefer most of the b-sides than the title track, but "I Am" is definitely the song that leaves the biggest impression and it totally makes sense why it's the title track. 

2 minutes ago, Flomik said:

Idk, Hypeboy and OMG felt pretty "grand" to me if that's the right word?

Only Hype Boy and that's for their standards only. I feel like most groups would've released Hype Boy as a b-side if they were to release it.

Hype Boy is still one of the best Kpop songs of all time though, like I don't know what they have put in the song, but I still listen to it at least 5 times daily since it's release, and itøs been 11 months :rip:

Hot take but I think Somi should consider redebuting with that mythical The Black Label GG at this point… them trainees truly been in the dungeon as long as her atp and it seems like people have forgotten about her being an artist and skipped right to her being an IT girl :monkey:

the hype for Baemon is kinda tanking too with this wait so they need to think of something quick soon, Blackpink can’t carry that company forever :redface:

• ATRL Administrator
1 minute ago, Eternium said:

My bad, sis. Hope things are going well for you. 

It’s going better. Basically I got hurt last July, was in multi organ failure and was in a coma for a bit. When I got better I wasn’t able to walk so I’ve been in a rehab place getting stronger and learning how to walk. It’s been a one hell of a year. 

• ATRL Administrator
Just now, starstruckaj said:

Hot take but I think Somi should consider redebuting with that mythical The Black Label GG at this point… them trainees truly been in the dungeon as long as her atp and it seems like people have forgotten about her being an artist and skipped right to her being an IT girl :monkey:

the hype for Baemon is kinda tanking too with this wait so they need to think of something quick soon, Blackpink can’t carry that company forever :redface:

Somi debuting in a girl group would be the best thing. The chaos fan in me wants her to go to Modhaus and join ARTMS with OEC+Heejin & Haseul. 

longest top 10 Melon weekly hit for a reason

ADOR dgaf about YouTube views there's like 20 versions of Hype Boy - they drive listeners to Melon and Spotify instead :heart:

• Like 3

2 hours ago, lily42 said:

I recognize jealousy and bitterness when I see one and no "I like NJ too" statement can hide that btw.

NewJeans might release a track with fart sounds only and that troll will claim it's Red Velvet demo :rip:

Maybe being SM sheep since SNSD era might have permanently damaged the brain cells. It's time to seek help before it's too late :heart: 

Anyways, stream Super Shy to get to know sounds from decade ago :gaycat:

The irony in here. You hate SM because Taeyeon was the one 2nd gen female that outdid IU and now you’re stanning their creative director just because she left the label. 

You’re like a reverse Mel, fake-stanning MHJ just because she’s no longer with the label that you’re so pressed about. When NewJeans overtake IU’s career the way SNSD did (well, SNSD were never below her), you’ll turn on them, too.

Enjoy trying to dickride SM’s creative talent, though, sis. :toofunny2: 

• Haha 1

not that Discovery Mode **** again, can people on this site stop making things up? we don’t have access to the info about its users

I literally still get Queencard after every kpop song I listen to, same happened with Moonlight Sunrise, with Spicy and the list goes on :rip:

you better think about how all of those groups use yt ads yet get outstreamed by „yt flop” NewJeans and for that we actually have source to prove it’s a fact

• Like 5

8 minutes ago, Hazy said:

more like all of their songs having amazing quality and being single worthy, their material being enjoyable from start to finish 

that’s something different that regular kpop messy title and throwaway weak b-sides

you’re making things up at this point

they don’t use any ads there yet OMG have mv at 132m (dp, but named „official mv” if you missed it), long ass video with 25m and audio over 130m 

they are literally the most streamed artist on yt in SK in the the past year :rip:

they are about to hit 2b in a year there, again, without ads 

actually they are above any 4th gen group in the past year:rip: including Stray Kids 

You clearly misunderstood and jumped into the conversation without context. :rip:

• Haha 1