K-Pop Thread: 2023 Archive

Ryan

18 minutes ago, armink said:

the lack of reading comprehension :rip: no I do not

Like I said, you need to think about BOTH the raw overall numbers and the peaks of the song. Even though both songs have similarish spotify streams, Bboomx2 obviously has the way higher peaks so you felt the popularity more. My point is that money and L&R have similar raw numbers AND similar peaks, so yes they are comparable hits.

Anywhere outside of Spotify and maybe Apple music Money is obviously bigger. As I said streams aren't everything.

• Thumbs Down 1

• Replies 132.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Save-Me-Oprah

• Pluto6

• Witnessed ET

• illia

Top Posters In This Topic

4 hours ago, LuneMon said:

The only real kpop hits are gangnam style, dynamite and cupid. the rest are mostly carried by kpop fans. GP doesn't know any bts or blackpink members, at least not yet. :deadbanana4:

:clap3:

The delusion kpop stans have with inflated #s meaning this or that is a global hit is crazy

2 minutes ago, Get said:

Anywhere outside of Spotify and maybe Apple music Money is obviously bigger. As I said streams aren't everything.

maybe if you live exclusively inside tiktok :rip: 

I already agreed its slightly bigger, you're the one pretending like they aren't even comparable :deadbanana:You have still not provided any evidence of it being "obviously bigger" by a huge margin, and no1curr about how you "feel" about the songs

worms for brains I fear :monkey:

3 minutes ago, Get said:

Outside of Spotify, Apple Music, bunch of world charts... You mean TikTok + your feelings, I guess? 

12 minutes ago, Green Tea Is Green said:

:clap3:

The delusion kpop stans have with inflated #s meaning this or that is a global hit is crazy

The real delusion is with kpop stans pretending like nothing from the genre can be a real hit unless every person in bumfuck alabama can also sing along. It's a very america/eurocentric mindset and it honestly comes off as very condescending to the entire genre. I think what most people mean when they say this is that there are no huge hits (probably with the exception of Gangnam style, Dynamite, and now Cupid), but that distinction needs to be made.

There have been plenty of minor/moderate hits that not EVERYONE or even the majority of people will know but are still decently successful globally: Butter, Pink Venom, HYLT, My Universe, Money, L&R, D4, Kill this Love, BWL, OMG/Ditto, and even stretching back to earlier generations to a lesser extent with I am the Best and The Boys. Not everything needs to be Blinding Lights or Shape of You to be considered a hit. The same people would probably consider songs like abcdefu, astronaut in the ocean, and without you to be minor/moderate hits but I guarantee the vast majority of the public cannot tell you who Gayle, Masked Wolf, or Kid Laroi are. It's very interesting that this same grace cannot be extended to kpop groups, even by most kpop fans.

Like do ya'll even really like this genre if you insist on constantly putting it down so much?

• Like 9
  • Thumbs Down 1

2 hours ago, fais_2311 said:

Polaroid Love crossed 200m :clap3:

:jonny6:

Is the Monthly Listeners current or is it for overall? Cuz why Enhypen and TxT above Skz? 

14 minutes ago, armink said:

The real delusion is with kpop stans pretending like nothing from the genre can be a real hit unless every person in bumfuck alabama can also sing along. It's a very america/eurocentric mindset and it honestly comes off as very condescending to the entire genre. I think what most people mean when they say this is that there are no huge hits (probably with the exception of Gangnam style, Dynamite, and now Cupid), but that distinction needs to be made.

There have been plenty of minor/moderate hits that not EVERYONE or even the majority of people will know but are still decently successful globally: Butter, Pink Venom, HYLT, My Universe, Money, L&R, D4, Kill this Love, BWL, OMG/Ditto, and even stretching back to earlier generations to a lesser extent with I am the Best and The Boys. Not everything needs to be Blinding Lights or Shape of You to be considered a hit. The same people would probably consider songs like abcdefu, astronaut in the ocean, and without you to be minor/moderate hits but I guarantee the vast majority of the public cannot tell you who Gayle, Masked Wolf, or Kid Laroi are. It's very interesting that this same grace cannot be extended to kpop groups, even by most kpop fans.

Like do ya'll even really like this genre if you insist on constantly putting it down so much?

EAT THEM UP FOR ME :ahh:

• Like 1

Flower was MASSIVE on TikTok with already 3.1M videos made 

38 minutes ago, WeFoundWill said:

Flower was MASSIVE on TikTok with already 3.1M videos made 

Eyes Closed by Ed had more than 1M videos and it's nowhere near being a hit

Cardboard Box by Flo had more than 1M videos and it didn't chart anywhere and didn't do anything to their careers either

People need to remember that TikTok =/ the charts. Just because a song being used as a meme doesn't mean people like it or willing to listen to it outside of TikTok purposes. Most TikTok "hits" are forgotten in like a few months or a year (Gaga's Bloody Mary is the prime example)

56 minutes ago, aesthetic bih said:

Is the Monthly Listeners current or is it for overall? Cuz why Enhypen and TxT above Skz? 

SKZ are coming though. 1 week ago they were at 7,8M monthly listeners and now they are at 8,5M million. 

3 hours ago, fais_2311 said:

Polaroid Love crossed 200m :clap3:

:jonny6:

Soon SKZ and ENHYPEN will become the only 4th gen bgs to have multiple songs with 200m streams :clap3:

1 hour ago, armink said:

Well duh, faceless hits exist they don't gotta know who gayle is, just like people don't know what a fifty fifty is but know cupid, the differece is the likes of a flop like gayle don't have crazy fans mass streaming :lakitu:

If New Jeans can release this kind of quality for their 1st album, they can get all the Daesangs :jonny5::jonny5::jonny5:

• Like 6

People need to realize that pop culture is not like what it used to be. Everything is kinda a niche nowadays since people can now self choose everything they wanna see and hear. Just like how I recently found my own niche with Kpop 2 years ago, and haven’t really caught up with western music ever since. Like I can promise you that most of the global GP including myself do not know most of these artists that have topped the Hot 100 in the last 3 years. Everything is mostly carried by their niche groups nowadays. The bigger the niche group, the bigger the success. 

However TikTok is now the only place nowadays where artists can reach out of their niche base and reach new people, just like how Cupid and other Kpop songs did. I recently caught my str8 friends who have nothing to do with Kpop, singing along to songs like Money and HYLT, and when I asked them were they knew those songs from , they said because of TikTok.

In short, Charts do not reflect whether a song is a hit or recognized globally nowadays like they used to.

BP headlining Coachella without a single top 10 hit in the US is a proof of that.

Edited by Pluto2022
  • Thanks 1

17 minutes ago, Pluto2022 said:

Soon SKZ and ENHYPEN will become the only 4th gen bgs to have multiple songs with 200m streams :clap3:

Is it Maniac? My fave noise from SKZ so :clap3:

My album arrived yesterday. Did you get yours?

spacer.png

Seungmin failed to show up. Even though I pulled mostly the popular lines (Lee Know, Hyunjin, Felix), I’m still struggling to trade these to Seungmin photocard. He’s definitely in his most demanded era this time. Many fans are looking for his photocards. At least none of the 3Ratcha showed up :johnald: It’s impossible to trade pc if you got them :deadbanana4:

So when did SK dropped BT$? Bc they can’t even chart in Melon 24 hits top 10 anymore and all the solos flopped :redface: … Is it the first time that a top group don’t have any solo hits ? 

1 hour ago, armink said:

It’s not their faves that are achieving it

they're serving bitterness

30 minutes ago, karlo_98 said:

If New Jeans can release this kind of quality for their 1st album, they can get all the Daesangs :jonny5::jonny5::jonny5:

The way I don't use only 1 song from this full album :clap3::clap3:

once in a while i remember that Alyssa Milano (yes the actress) had a jpop career and also performed on an old Korean music show and it sends me for a few minutes

38 minutes ago, Green Tea Is Green said:

Well duh, faceless hits exist they don't gotta know who gayle is, just like people don't know what a fifty fifty is but know cupid, the differece is the likes of a flop like gayle don't have crazy fans mass streaming :lakitu:

Dedicated =/= crazy

Sasaeng (Nayeon for e.g) = crazy

Certain people in this thread stay obsessed with BTS and trying to downplay their success and impact:rip: Ngl, it’s kind of funny to witness

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Thumbs Down 1

2 minutes ago, siratakexxx said:

Dedicated =/= crazy

Sasaeng (Nayeon for e.g) = crazy

Whatever adjective you wanna use, it still applies to the point of #s being inflated due to fans :coffee2: 

And this doesn't just apply to the biggest groups obviously, it's a thing through the entire genre to different degrees :lakitu:

18 minutes ago, fais_2311 said:

Is it Maniac? My fave noise from SKZ so :clap3:

My album arrived yesterday. Did you get yours?

spacer.png

Seungmin failed to show up. Even though I pulled mostly the popular lines (Lee Know, Hyunjin, Felix), I’m still struggling to trade these to Seungmin photocard. He’s definitely in his most demanded era this time. Many fans are looking for his photocards. At least none of the 3Ratcha showed up :johnald: It’s impossible to trade pc if you got them :deadbanana4:

Maniac, Thunderous & Back Door are  pushing 200M, so they will soon tie NJ with having the most songs over 200M streams (4 songs)

FyNXz9yX0AID0TS?format=jpg&name=900x900

-----------------

The thing is that I have actually never bought an album in my entire life :rip:

But, you're lucky for getting the photocard trinity! 

I'm glad that Seungmin is getting some love as well though! :clap3:

Is Bang Chan really that unpopular with photocards though? :skull: He's literally the 3rd most popular member along with Lee Know? Chan is arguably the most recognized member along with Felix, and is basically the Soyeon of the group. 

17 minutes ago, Green Tea Is Green said:

Whatever adjective you wanna use, it still applies to the point of #s being inflated due to fans :coffee2: 

And this doesn't just apply to the biggest groups obviously, it's a thing through the entire genre to different degrees :lakitu:

That doesn't make them crazy, because they did not bring any harm to anyone. 

Dedicated fans is good for spirit of competition, they are the reason why Kpop survive and growing big.