Most albums sold in a single decade?

Trav

Does Celine have this title for her sales in the 1990s? Seems she sold around 120 million albums worldwide 1990-1999.

Well between 1985 and 1995 Michael probably pushed more, but it depends how strict you wanna be about when we measure a decade :lakitu:

Also I could be wrong, he could fall short of Celine. I don’t actually know any of the figures. I’m just spitballing here 

I think it's Celine for the 90s

Which was impressive af because she didn't have her breakthrough era until 1994 with The Colour of My Love 

The Colour of My Love - 20M WW

D'eux - 10M WW

Falling Into You - 32M WW

Let's Talk About Love - 31M WW

These Are Special Times - 12M WW

All The Way...A Decade of Song - 22M WW

I think probably the Beatles back in the 60s only.

Someone check Eminem’s and Garth Brook’s collective albums too - they may have tipped the scale. 

Michael and Celine (and Mariah and Whitney) sold a boat load of albums but I don’t think either sold 100 million in the respective decade…. they’re up there now due to catalog sales

eg. Off the Wall (15m), Thriller (50m), Bad (25m) = 90m {I don’t think any pre-Epic or music-video album would’ve pushed him over 10m}

eg. Celines FIY/LTAL again probably reached 20-25 million copies each in the 90s, but racked up catalog sales over the 00s and 10s. 

Whitney Houston 20.9M

Whitney 19.8M

I'm Your Baby Tonight 9.9M

The Bodyguard 41.1M

Preacher's Wife 5.3M

Total 118.3M

2 hours ago, Trav said:

Does Celine have this title for her sales in the 1990s? Seems she sold around 120 million albums worldwide 1990-1999.

2 hours ago, WeFoundTrouble said:

Well between 1985 and 1995 Michael probably pushed more, but it depends how strict you wanna be about when we measure a decade :lakitu:

Also I could be wrong, he could fall short of Celine. I don’t actually know any of the figures. I’m just spitballing here 

2 hours ago, naval23 said:

I think it's Celine for the 90s

Which was impressive af because she didn't have her breakthrough era until 1994 with The Colour of My Love 

The Colour of My Love - 20M WW

D'eux - 10M WW

Falling Into You - 32M WW

Let's Talk About Love - 31M WW

These Are Special Times - 12M WW

All The Way...A Decade of Song - 22M WW

1 hour ago, Sweet Sexy Savage said:

Celine dominated mariah

It may be Celine, but it may also technically be Mariah if you mean albums actually sold within that decade since All the Way...A Decade of Song was released in mid-Nov 1999. 

It comes out to:

Mariah

Debut: 14 million

MTV Unplugged: 6.5 million

Emotions: 8 million

Music Box: 26 million

Merry Christmas: 13 million

Daydream: 20 million

Butterfly: 10 million

#1s: 16 million

(Rainbow: 7 million)

= 113.5 million pure sales plus probably ~3 million sold for the more front-loaded Rainbow. It was certified for 3.8 million units in US, Europe, Japan by the end of the decade. We'll shave that to 3 million to account for shipments and for the sake of argument. So 116.5 million

Celine

Unison: 3.5 million

Dion Chante Plamondon: 2 million

Celine Dion: 6 million

The Colour of My Love: 17 million

D'eux: 7 million

Falling into You: 28 million

Let's Talk About Love: 30 million

S'il Suffisait D'Aimer: 4 million

These Are Special Times: 12 million

(All the Way...A Decade of Song: 22 million)

(I've rounded up quite a bit on several of Celine's.)

= 109.5 million pure sales. Compilations are slower sellers. For instance, the compilation was not certified 2x platinum until 2002. For the sake or argument, we'll assume that she sold 6 million in 6 weeks (unprecedented for a compilation and not reflected in any sales figures in 1999 for the album). That would put her at 115.5 million.

So even with these overly-safe adjustments taking off a bit from Rainbow and adding a bit too much to All the Way, it's pretty safe to say that Mariah outsold Celine within the 1990s decade despite the latter winning overall when you look at figures for all 90s releases. The answer to the OP is going to be contingent on how you define sales for a decade.

Edited by suburbannature

9 minutes ago, lonnie said:

Whitney Houston 20.9M

Whitney 19.8M

I'm Your Baby Tonight 9.9M

The Bodyguard 41.1M

Preacher's Wife 5.3M

Total 118.3M

It's:

Whitney Houston: 22 million 

Whitney: 20 million

IYBT: 10 million

The Bodyguard: 41 million

The Preacher's Wife: 5 million

= 98 million pure

1 minute ago, suburbannature said:

It's:

Whitney Houston: 22 million 

Whitney: 20 million

IYBT: 10 million

The Bodyguard: 41 million

The Preacher's Wife: 5 million

= 98 million pure

You're right.

If by decade you mean ten years. I think it's Madonna. 1982-1992

Madonna: 10M

Like a virgin: 21M

True Blue: 25

Who's that girl: 6M

You can dance: 5,6M

Like a prayer: 15M

I'm breathless: 7M

The immaculate collection: 30M

Erotica: 6M

Total: 125.6M 

:giraffe:

NVM Madonna was released in 1983. So yes it's 1983-1993

Edited by Harsh2256

Yup it's Celine:

The Colour of My Love: 20 million

D'eux: 10 million

Falling into You: 32 million

Let's Talk About Love: 31 million

= 142.5 MILLION

Edited by ninetiesceline

1 hour ago, suburbannature said:

It may be Celine, but it may also technically be Mariah if you mean albums actually sold within that decade since All the Way...A Decade of Song was released in mid-Nov 1999. 

It comes out to:

Mariah

= 113.5 million pure sales plus probably ~3 million sold for the more front-loaded Rainbow. It was certified for 3.8 million units in US, Europe, Japan by the end of the decade. We'll shave that to 3 million to account for shipments and for the sake of argument. So 116.5 million

Celine

= 109.5 million pure sales. Compilations are slower sellers. For instance, the compilation was not certified 2x platinum until 2002. For the sake or argument, we'll assume that she sold 6 million in 6 weeks (unprecedented for a compilation and not reflected in any sales figures in 1999 for the album). That would put her at 115.5 million.

So even with these overly-safe adjustments taking off a bit from Rainbow and adding a bit too much to All the Way, it's pretty safe to say that Mariah outsold Celine within the 1990s decade despite the latter winning overall when you look at figures for all 90s releases. The answer to the OP is going to be contingent on how you define sales for a decade.

You really never fail to SERVE :deadbanana2::clap3:

Pretty sure its Celine. She had a slower start ofc, but was consistently getting bigger after 1992.

3 hours ago, Sweet Sexy Savage said:

Celine dominated mariah

wel..

1990 - 14 million - Debut

1991 - 8,5 million - Emotions

1992 - 7 million - Unplugged

1993 - 26 million - Music Box

1994 - 15 million - Merry Christmas

1995 - 20 million - Daydream

1997 -10 million - Butterfly

1998 - 16 million - #1's

1999 - 7,5 million - Rainbow

= 124 million with albums released in the 90s. 

8 hours ago, suburbannature said:

It comes out to:

Mariah

Celine

Falling Into You sold 32M WW so 28M for the 90s is way too low its closer to 30M. D'eux is certified for 8 million in Europe and sold 700k in Canada and 300k in the US alone so its at 9M at least.

All the Way sold 3M in the USA for 1999, was already certified Diamond in Canada for 1999 so 6M is reasonable.

So it would be 119.5 M for Celine vs. 116.5 M for Mariah. 

the biggest female seller in the 90s was celine, and the male I guess it was Garth Brooks, although I dont´t know eminem´s numbers

by the way, I will never understand how come I´m your baby tonight and Emotions that much less than their other albums. Both are amongst their best

Edited by promise to try

Probably?  She was massive and peaked at the height of music sales.  I think Mariah might be up there.  Overall I think MJ probably has the record for the 80.  Does anyone know how many records the Beatles sold in the 60s?  They have strong catalog sales so I am not sure how many they sold in their first decade. 

Thanks all, I was just genuinely curious - I just went by wikipedia numbers for albums released in a single decade for madonna, mariah, whitney, and celine as I figured those would be the only close ones for women at least. It seems celine had the highest for the 90s decade

MJ in the 80s? OTW peaked in early-1980, and Thriller and Bad were huge blockbusters. Does anybody have a breakdown of his sales by decade?

4 hours ago, naval23 said:

Falling Into You sold 32M WW so 28M for the 90s is way too low its closer to 30M. D'eux is certified for 8 million in Europe and sold 700k in Canada and 300k in the US alone so its at 9M at least.

All the Way sold 3M in the USA for 1999, was already certified Diamond in Canada for 1999 so 6M is reasonable.

So it would be 119.5 M for Celine vs. 116.5 M for Mariah. 

Some of Mariah's numbers are too low as well because those are verified pure sales. 119.5 vs. 116.5 would not be accurate for the reasons I explained. 

Also, I only said 6 million for extra padding for argument's sake - All the Way did not sell 6 million in 6 weeks as a compilation. That's highly inaccurate. 

17 minutes ago, suburbannature said:

Some of Mariah's numbers are too low as well because those are verified pure sales. 119.5 vs. 116.5 would not be accurate for the reasons I explained. 

Also, I only said 6 million for extra padding for argument's sake - All the Way did not sell 6 million in 6 weeks as a compilation. That's highly inaccurate. 

All The Way sold 3M alone in the USA in 1999 which was ~33% of its total sales (9.3M) especially when it also cleared a million in 1999 in Canada alone. So 6 million in 1999 with 22 million total is not "highly inaccurate" (6/22 = 27%) considering it was also #29 for Europe's biggest 1999 albums - you could even underestimate it even more to 5M, but with D'Eux and Falling Into You being 10M and 30M respectively, she'd still come on top.

Both Mariah's and Celine's are verified pure sales so that point is moot.

Edited by naval23

Using the current WW sales for all of these albums doesn’t really give an accurate reflection of how many of those were sold within one decade. 

7 minutes ago, naval23 said:

All The Way sold 3M alone in the USA in 1999 which was ~33% of its total sales (9.3M) especially when it also cleared a million in 1999 in Canada alone. So 6 million in 1999 with 22 million total is not "highly inaccurate" (6/22 = 27%) considering it was also #29 for Europe's biggest 1999 albums - you could even underestimate it even more to 5M, but with D'Eux and Falling Into You being 10M and 30M respectively, she'd still come on top.

Both Mariah's and Celine's are verified pure sales so that point is moot.

That's the issue - they didn't sell that much in the 90s.

Edited by suburbannature

Probably Madonna or Celine. Mariah likely very close but no cigar.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.