FTC seeks to block Microsoft’s acquisition of Activision Blizzard

tiagol88

The Federal Trade Commission is seeking to block technology giant Microsoft Corp. from acquiring leading video game developer Activision Blizzard, Inc. and its blockbuster gaming franchises such as Call of Duty, alleging that the $69 billion deal, Microsoft's largest ever and the largest ever in the video gaming industry, would enable Microsoft to suppress competitors to its Xbox gaming consoles and its rapidly growing subscription content and cloud-gaming business.

In a complaint issued today, the FTC pointed to Microsoft's record of acquiring and using valuable gaming content to suppress competition from rival consoles, including its acquisition of ZeniMax, parent company of Bethesda Softworks (a well-known game developer). Microsoft decided to make several of Bethesda's titles including Starfield and Redfall Microsoft exclusives despite assurances it had given to European antitrust authorities that it had no incentive to withhold games from rival consoles.

"Microsoft has already shown that it can and will withhold content from its gaming rivals," said Holly Vedova, Director of the FTC's Bureau of Competition. "Today we seek to stop Microsoft from gaining control over a leading independent game studio and using it to harm competition in multiple dynamic and fast-growing gaming markets."

Source

And this is in America...MS's own country. UK is even more reluctant to let this deal go through and EU has yet to give their own decision as well :chick1:

Can’t believe FTC is actually doing their job for once :clap3:

Edited by Navy4Life

I almost feel bad for Micro****. They degraded themselves, compared themselves negatively to Sony, and cut a deal with Nintendo to get their support... all for the FTC to turn around and say NO.

It'll go through. FTC has been losing so many court cases as of late and they just keep trying. :deadbanana4: Microsoft is extremely confident.

Imagine wasting tax payers money just to lose in court yet again :deadbanana4: Are they dumb?

I can see the deal still going through despite of this. If not then Microsoft will just use that $70 billion for other things (perhaps smaller acquisitions). 

It would be interesting to see how the business relationship would fare between Activision Blizzard and Sony if they miss out on a $70 billion payout b/c of Sony's direct opposition. 

1 hour ago, Luner45 said:

I can see the deal still going through despite of this. If not then Microsoft will just use that $70 billion for other things (perhaps smaller acquisitions). 

It would be interesting to see how the business relationship would fare between Activision Blizzard and Sony if they miss out on a $70 billion payout b/c of Sony's direct opposition. 

This. While it's likely the deal will be fine and go through, Sony continues to do irreversible damage to their own reputation here. 

9 hours ago, Marla Singer said:

I almost feel bad for Micro****. They degraded themselves, compared themselves negatively to Sony, and cut a deal with Nintendo to get their support... all for the FTC to turn around and say NO.

9 hours ago, kawk said:

good :clap3:

9 hours ago, jadeabove said:

:gaycat1:

Microsoft must be fuming.

9 hours ago, Reginald said:

Good. :celestial:

:santa:

6 hours ago, Afterglow said:

This. While it's likely the deal will be fine and go through, Sony continues to do irreversible damage to their own reputation here. 

This is a good move and an acquisition like this should be blocked. 

I don’t think the acquisition is being blocked and like others are saying if it does Acti/Blizzard will just keep their games off PS anyways for ******* up the bag :skull: and I say this as an original Sony Stan 

13 hours ago, mystery said:

This is a good move and an acquisition like this should be blocked. 

For what reasons? The FTC is using smoke, mirrors and a shred of hope here.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.