Why the queen of pop's biggest song on spotify only has 300M streams?

Xder

I know her hits weren't released in the streaming era but the king of pop Michael has a song with 1.2b streams and many songs over 300m streams on spotify.

Are Madonna's (lqueen of pop) hits forgotten? even Cyndi has song with 700m streams...

I'm gonna need you guys to stop making Spotify the be all end all metric for "iconic" and "remembered" hits. Just to fit your narratives might I add :toofunny3:

6 minutes ago, Xder said:

I know her hits weren't released in the streaming era but the king of pop Michael has a song with 1.2b streams and many songs over 300m streams on spotify.

Are Madonna's (lqueen of pop) hits forgotten? even Cyndi has song with 700m streams...

Answered your own question. 

Because people have the albums and listen to it. And the gen Z listen to the cd of their parents.

2 minutes ago, mintpasty said:

Answered your own question. 

Yes, but Michael and Cyndi's hits are also from the 80s/90s

3 minutes ago, Xder said:

Yes, but Michael and Cyndi's hits are also from the 80s/90s

And is Cyndi or Michael about to go on a global stadium tour?

15 minutes ago, Xder said:

Mj top catalog sounds classic.

Madonna top catalog (the 80s catalog) sounds more dated and some of that was so big only because of marketing and controversy to sell them. Her better and really top quality material wasn't big as the 80s catalog even during its release era.

Mj, Abba, Elton and artists a lot more streamed than her have musical, movies and tribute shows about them. Let's see if her biopic can give her a catalog boost (I think so).

Also bad choice not touring in arenas and stadium since 2016 (some countries since 2015)

For this classic acts a big live exposure it's the best way to get newer and younger fans. 

Edited by vale9001

Cause the last time she wore that crown was last century.. The title isn't permanent 

Literally who cares. I've never heard of anyone discussing "300M" streamed songs. Sounds like the dumbest criteria for measuring success I've seen on here. 100M streams for a song released decades ago is impressive enough.

La Isla Bonita music video also has 660,000,000 views on YouTube and that doesn't even include the private upload that also had over 100M streams or other uploads with millions of views.

16 minutes ago, MotoPapi said:

Who cares? She’s the most successful female artist of all time. 

This. Like she has so many hits and she's sn icon who cares about spotify:rip:

If a song is big on Spotify it means it's an hit now and i was an hit in the past.

I don't see what it's so wrong to talk about music legacy. 

If i see Uk album chart this week we have greatest hits albums from Elton John, Abba, Queen, Fleetwood Mac, Beatles, Elvis, Michael Jackson. Whitney, Bob Marley, George Michael, Billy Joel.

It's not so scandalous to ask why Madonna is not there when she was as if not bigger than them in the same era. :coffee2:

"...her hits weren't released in the streaming era."

This is not rocket science. 

She hasn't had a streaming era hit, if she does her streaming could get better. She also hasn't been culturally relevant in a while, maybe if her Superbowl Halftime show happened when streaming was a force it would be a different story.

Her fanbase might not be into streaming, hell even some Britney fans refused to use streaming when Glory was released, her fans are even older. :skull:

If Madonna stopped releasing bad music she would probably have better streaming stats tbh 

This thread is made every month I think. 

She is picking up. 20% of her total streams on Spotify are from 2022.

Her streaming power has gotten better but her playlisting is not good. She has songs here and there in some 80s playlists but don't dare searching for her 90s and 00s songs in playlists from those decades because you won't find her :rip: 

I would love to say it's a combo of age and misogyny because it is a factor in most things but Tina, Cher and Cyndi are all senior citizen women and have at least 1 song with more than 300M streams... but then again, none of them were ever as polarizing as Madonna was to the public/industry and opposed to settling down in old age, she's only gotten more polarizing. That being said, her streaming is coming around. 

Edited by Soda Pop Queen

Her classic song isn’t bigger than any of those songs mentioned :giraffe:

For songs released in pre-streaming era:

More streams = bigger classic

Her monthly listeners are huge though and her catalogue is so widespread that she doesn't really have just a few signature songs 

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.