Will Label Steer Away from Nov/Dec Releases?

Sinister

It’s been something I’ve been think about a lot this past week. With Xmas songs gaining stronger holdings on the chart and their impact coming a lot earlier this year then previously, I feel like label will steer away from releasing so close to the holidays. At least for major acts because they want those top 10 debuts

10 years ago, this was the HOTTEST time for new releases. Black Friday was a major thing, but all that has changed which has been a fascinating phenomenon to witness

and now with Sza releasing her highly anticipated sophomore album this week, I can’t help but wonder what the damage could’ve been had she just waited til January

or maybe I’m just overthinking it 

That already happened :cm:

It will only make Xmas music even stronger tho... a sad time for new music lovers

But physicals CDs/Vinyls are still a thing so probably not. Physicals sell well during holidays. Streams can be gained over a period of time but no one would be breaking their heels in January to buy CDs from their nearest stores. 

Probably. Another less important reason that only really matters from a marketing standpoint: most award shows and “Best of” lists end eligibility a month or two before the calendar year ends (who wants to read a list of 2022’s best albums in 2023?) leaving many Nov/Dec albums eligible for “Best of” lists or awards for the following year or just barely being eligible for the current year. Which means the albums are so old they won’t be at the top of mind, or so new they won’t receive fair consideration because the album hasn’t aged. 

Again, that’s not a super important reason, but now that we all have computers in our pockets and are constantly engaging with content, people read those lists a lot more now and it makes sense you’d want to be on them. It’s just another reason to avoid Nov/Dec. 

My life is consumed by Christmas music and Christmas music only this time of year so I don’t mind :gaygacat5:

But having new albums release in December so I have something to make the post-Christmas depression easier is always a plus! SZA and Lana are gonna save me :gayalipacat5:

i think billboard needs to remove christmas songs from its chart 

it just ends up looking like the streaming playlists people are playing these songs from

1 hour ago, coolblue said:

But physicals CDs/Vinyls are still a thing so probably not. Physicals sell well during holidays. Streams can be gained over a period of time but no one would be breaking their heels in January to buy CDs from their nearest stores. 

I know vinyls have been growing increasingly, but again that’s for the major acts. And considering they are the ones debuting songs high when they release their albums, I think October is as close as they might be willing to release

Autumn/fall has always been the general time for seasoned artists to put out their music in anticipation of that holiday season. It's why lesser-known, newer artists usually occupy the earlier months of the calendar year for their releases.

Yeah, it was different in the physical and digital eras. You could purchase it now and listen to it later. Now, with streaming, the consumer has a finite amount of time available, and that's going to be filled with personalised year-end lists and Christmas music. 

Yeah, but then I think that will inherently create a window of opportunity for people to stand out as new music will be sparse 

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.