Mariah Carey - Charmbracelet | Turns 20

naval23

Before the release of Charmbracelet, Carey experienced a year of critical, commercial and personal struggles, following the poor reception of her debut film Glitter (2001) and its accompanying soundtrack, as well as her subsequent hospitalization. 

Carey's 2001 film debut Glitter was panned by movie critics,and earned less than eight million dollars at the box office.

Carey's $100 million recording contract was bought out by Virgin Records for $28 million. Carey checked into a hospital in Connecticut, following a controversial appearance on Total Request Live, in which she gave ice cream to fans, left troubling messages on her website and demonstrated what was considered by the media as "erratic behavior".

Carey said she had an "emotional and physical breakdown." After the hospitalization, Carey flew to Capri, Italy, where she stayed for five months and began writing and producing material for a new studio album about her recent troubles. She was signed by Island Records, and started her own imprint, MonarC Entertainment, for her intended "comeback" release, Charmbracelet.

It debuted with 241k sales in its 1st week, debuting at #3 on the Billboard 200 and was certified platinum.

Through The Rain is still that masterpiece :jonnycat:

The most boring and forgetful album by a ‘Grand Pop Girl’ along with “Just Whitney” and “One Heart” (although “OH” actually sold).

:skull:

I can never, truly, make it through this album because almost every song is a whisper. It’s just not a record that has many well-remembered qualities, musically speaking, but there are several lyrical highlights throughout. 

“My Saving Grace” and “Yours” are probably the best songs on the album.

Edited by GoodGuyGoneGhetto

Clown is a classic :clap3:

Underrated album. 

Lullaby

Yours

My Saving Grace

The One

You Had Your Chance

Subtle Invitation

Classic. Stone-groove smash wonders. A moment. 

34 minutes ago, GoodGuyGoneGhetto said:

The most boring and forgetful album by a ‘Grand Pop Girl’ along with “Just Whitney” and “One Heart” (although “OH” actually sold).

I can never, truly, make it through this album because almost every song is a whisper. It’s just not a record that has many well-remembered qualities, musically speaking, but there are several lyrical highlights throughout. 

“My Saving Grace” and “Yours” are probably the best songs on the album.

As much as I love her, I agree with everything you said. 

Anklemonitor sweetie you will always be famous :clap3:

I used to dislike it, but I realized it’s actually a pretty fantastic album. It’s more lowkey than a lot of her others. The only song I can’t get behind is Down the Drain

Boy (I Need You), My Saving Grace, Yours, The One, Irresistible, BOTHb, You Got Me - all stone grooves.

1 hour ago, GoodGuyGoneGhetto said:

The fact these three (+ American Life and Damita Jo, though the latter is somewhat underrated) all came out around the same time... 2002-2004 was NOT the time for 80s/90s divas :rip:

Just now, ATWK said:

The fact these three (+ American Life and Damita Jo, though the latter is somewhat underrated) all came out around the same time... 2002-2004 was NOT the time for 80s/90s divas :rip:

Not when Damita Jo and Charmbible eat. Plus Mariah gave us this classic:

2 minutes ago, ATWK said:

Damita Jo gave us sex bop "Just a Little While" so she's forgiven

16 minutes ago, ATWK said:

Don't forget Patience by George Michael too :'(

also 2002's Just Whitney and Celine's 2003 album One Heart were rough too :rip:

Both Alanis Morissette's 2002 and 2004 albums failed to re-capture her 90s commercial success too

Lullaby, Subtle Invitation and Sunflowers for Alfred Roy you will ALWAYS be famous.

24 minutes ago, ATWK said:

True. 

However, “One Heart” went on to sell 6M units WW and “IDAN” was a top ten AC/HAC hit. 

By far the biggest success, alongside “American Life”, even if it did underperform as a whole whereas “Just Whitney, Charmbracelet, Damita Jo” all bombed (although Carey would slay 2005+). 

Dion’s power in Europe was still so strong then. 

34 minutes ago, suburbannature said:

Not when Damita Jo and Charmbible eat.

Is there a 2nd Mariah album that starts with "Charm" that I don't know of?

A top 5 MC album but the Lambs aren't ready for this conversation. Boy (I Need You), Yours, BOTHb, Clown, Lullaby, Subtle Invitation >>>

16 minutes ago, ATWK said:

Is there a 2nd Mariah album that starts with "Charm" that I don't know of?

This album slays let's be real. The lead was just trash.

This is when she became obsessed with whisper-singing :rip: I like Through The Rain, I Only Wanted & My Saving Grace. 

22 minutes ago, FightDragonsWithMe said:

This is when she became obsessed with whisper-singing :rip: I like Through The Rain, I Only Wanted & My Saving Grace. 

She has always integrated whisper vocals (aka fifth octave breathy falsetto) into her singing. It's called being a versatile vocalist. 

1 minute ago, suburbannature said:

She has always integrated whisper vocals (aka fifth octave breathy falsetto) into her singing. It's called being a versatile vocalist. 

And I lied it started with Rainbow :eddie: but I like Mariah better actually belting instead of pretending to be Janet Jackson :coffee:

Just now, FightDragonsWithMe said:

And I lied it started with Rainbow :eddie: but I like Mariah better actually belting instead of pretending to be Janet Jackson :coffee:

No, she did it on her first albums as well.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.