LGBT Films 🏳️‍🌈📽

feelslikeadream

Just watched Spoiler Alert and Firebird on Amazon Prime.  I thought both were great films and I loved that they were based on true stories. :clap3:

• Replies 641
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• feelslikeadream

• noonbob

• X~MoviePoP

• Katamari

• ATRL Moderator
39 minutes ago, BeenTheShit said:

Just watched Spoiler Alert and Firebird on Amazon Prime.  I thought both were great films and I loved that they were based on true stories. :clap3:

I haven't seen Spoiler Alert yet cause I find Jim Parsons so annoying :gaycat7: How was he in this? What he giving Sheldon?

38 minutes ago, feelslikeadream said:

I haven't seen Spoiler Alert yet cause I find Jim Parsons so annoying :gaycat7: How was he in this? What he giving Sheldon?

I thought he did a great job in the film and Sheldon didn't even cross my mind honestly while watching it. :michael:

I ended up watching Akron (Amazon Prime) last night.  Overall I thought this was a great movie as far as the characters and plot.  However, the ending fell short in my opinion.  Has anyone else seen it?

The ending of the movie felt unrealistic and rushed in my opinion.  In one scene near the end, Benny's mother is balling her eyes out saying she can't accept ever Christoper because of what his mother did to her son.  Then in the next, she's forgiven Christopher, invites him over to dinner, and the movie ends with everyone smiling around the dinner table.

I think Benny's mother should've had much more character development in terms of self-reflection.  She spends the entire movie blaming everyone else for her son's death when in actuality it's somewhat her fault he wandered off when she wasn't paying attention.  It would also be interesting to explore Benny's mom eventually forgiving Christopher's mom for accidentally running her son over, especially if their sons moved in together and got married.

On another note, it was refreshing to see a gay movie that isn't completely centered around coming out or acceptance.  The characters were already out from the beginning and no one batted an eye at them being a gay couple.  However, while this was nice, it did feel a little unrealistic since it was set in Akron, OH which is very rural. 

Edited by BeenTheShit

• ATRL Moderator

I watched Soft Lad on Prime Video today and sistren :toofunny3: :toofunny3: :toofunny3: :gaycat7:

spacer.png

It was sooo messy. I feel like I can't exactly recommend it, but if anyone's looking specifically for a messy, melodramatic gay movie, you might like it. The leads are attractive and have good chemistry, but the script is bad and there are technical issues (like some dialogue is practically inaudible). I feel like it'd be really entertaining to watch with friends nnnn.

On 7/3/2023 at 9:55 AM, BeenTheShit said:

I ended up watching Akron (Amazon Prime) last night.  Overall I thought this was a great movie as far as the characters and plot.  However, the ending fell short in my opinion.  Has anyone else seen it?

Reveal hidden contents

The ending of the movie felt unrealistic and rushed in my opinion.  In one scene near the end, Benny's mother is balling her eyes out saying she can't accept ever Christoper because of what his mother did to her son.  Then in the next, she's forgiven Christopher, invites him over to dinner, and the movie ends with everyone smiling around the dinner table.

I think Benny's mother should've had much more character development in terms of self-reflection.  She spends the entire movie blaming everyone else for her son's death when in actuality it's somewhat her fault he wandered off when she wasn't paying attention.  It would also be interesting to explore Benny's mom eventually forgiving Christopher's mom for accidentally running her son over, especially if their sons moved in together and got married.

On another note, it was refreshing to see a gay movie that isn't completely centered around coming out or acceptance.  The characters were already out from the beginning and no one batted an eye at them being a gay couple.  However, while this was nice, it did feel a little unrealistic since it was set in Akron, OH which is very rural. 

I had those issues with the ending as well, but it seems you liked the movie better than I did overall. (I only gave it 1.5 stars :mandown:) I thought the pacing was really bad, some of the acting was stiff, and there were a lot of tonally "off" moments. Like they did a pretty bad job dealing with the more tragic aspects of the film imo. (I'm being vague because I watched it a while ago and don't remember a lot of detail, but remember having those issues with it.)

Nice, little, quiet gay movie (with very little dialog) Spanish film.

Watched Mario (2018) last night and I really enjoyed it. Didn't love the ending but whew the chemistry between the two guys :WAP: I suddenly want a gay football MAN.

Also seen this one recently and I liked it too. It's far from being perfect but I loved the exploration of the complexities of the diaspora/migrant experience while being part of the LGBTQ community. Aaand the lead actor is so adorable. :smitten: 

• Like 1

• ATRL Moderator
On 7/13/2023 at 9:30 PM, harwee said:

Nice, little, quiet gay movie (with very little dialog) Spanish film.

My 2nd fave Marco Berger movie! Have you seen The Blonde One?

5 hours ago, State of Grace. said:

Watched Mario (2018) last night and I really enjoyed it. Didn't love the ending but whew the chemistry between the two guys :WAP: I suddenly want a gay football MAN.

Also seen this one recently and I liked it too. It's far from being perfect but I loved the exploration of the complexities of the diaspora/migrant experience while being part of the LGBTQ community. Aaand the lead actor is so adorable. :smitten: 

I haven't heard of Beyto somehow, but just added it to my watchlist :celestial4:

Speaking of gay rugby films, have you seen In From the Side yet? I enjoyed Mario and am excited to see IFTS (once it's streaming for free somewhere).

14 hours ago, feelslikeadream said:

My 2nd fave Marco Berger movie! Have you seen The Blonde One?

No I haven't.  Ashamed to say I actually don't even know him.  :redface:

But based on what I saw, I'll definitely check it out, thanks.

• ATRL Moderator
20 minutes ago, harwee said:

No I haven't.  Ashamed to say I actually don't even know him.  :redface:

But based on what I saw, I'll definitely check it out, thanks.

He's def one of my faves, though his movies lately have been more about eye candy than strong plot nnn.

Imo, his best are The Blonde One, Hawaii, and Plan B. If you're just looking for eye candy, go with Taekwondo and Horseplay.

15 hours ago, feelslikeadream said:

I haven't heard of Beyto somehow, but just added it to my watchlist :celestial4:

Speaking of gay rugby films, have you seen In From the Side yet? I enjoyed Mario and am excited to see IFTS (once it's streaming for free somewhere).

IFTS has been on my watchlist for a while but I havent seen it yet. It looks good though :jonny:

Spoiler

I saw it on fmovies so I might watch it soon :redface:

In From The Side is just alright. The rugby match scenes are SO badly filmed, it's the thing that is most stuck in my memory. :michael:

• ATRL Moderator
1 hour ago, Alyssa Edwards said:

In From The Side is just alright. The rugby match scenes are SO badly filmed, it's the thing that is most stuck in my memory. :michael:

Do they have good chemistry?

4 minutes ago, feelslikeadream said:

Do they have good chemistry?

I... guess so ? I don't remember that much (which already tells you something)
I think it's better you judge by yourself ! Just don't except too much before seeing it because you might be disappointed like i was.

Recently watched Firebird, And Then We Danced and Of An Age and they're incredibly good..

Waiting for Le paradis and Stranizza d'amuri

I really loved Of An Age :chick3: I understand some of the lashings but I'm sucker for a cute coming-of-age story.

I think it captured that particular experience so well too. :michael:

Spoiler

this review on letterboxd sent me though:bibliahh:

"gorl, it was one gobbie 11 years ago,,,,
it not that serious........"

I'm seeing And Then We Danced or IFTS tonight :duca: 

Edited by State of Grace.
  • Haha 1

And Then We Danced is one of the best gay films I've seen. I highly recommend it.

• Like 1

• ATRL Moderator
On 7/24/2023 at 6:26 AM, MrLovett said:

This looks really cute.

I had to stop watching the trailer halfway through cause I felt like I was starting to get spoiled, but this does look cute/funny!

And I'm so glad to see Taj Cross getting roles after Pen15 (my favorite show ever :'()

Peridot

Its an interesting story, overall good performances, the production values seems very pro that's rare in LGBT films.

But i'm just over a gay lead playing a prostitute

Watched these like over a month ago and really enjoyed them.

Los Fuertes: I LOVED it, They were so good together and hot, the ending pissed me off and hurt my soul :cries:

Of An Age: Great too, The last scene in the hotel everything Kol said is me. I was down for weeks after that :skull:

Reminds me how pathetic my life is.

I love these kinda movies, but I always end up really down and wanting to kms.

Same thing happened with Firebird, Free fall, Mario, The Way He Looks, Moffie, God's Own Country.

:cries:

• Like 3

Rewatched Summer of 85 (I liked it the first time with some of my friends but I needed to see it again alone) and I can really say it's one of my faves from this decade. :'(

Some other films I've seen recently for the first time:

Los Fuertes (2019) - There's not really much going on here and it's been done several times before but I still loved it. It felt so authentic, realistic, and passionate. Also, the leads had great chemistry and the locations were so beautiful.

Spoiler

That cgi fox though wth:bibliahh:

And Then We Danced (2019) - I can't believe I waited all these years to see this? I loved everythinnnng about it. This will be one of those classics that I rewatch multiple times a year methinks. Well-developed, emotional, raw, energetic, visually stunning, etc. OSCARSSS! :ghostface:

Spoiler

The Honey scene???  :jonny5::jonny5::jonny5:

The dancing/staring during Take A Chance On Me:jonny5::jonny5:

When Merab had a mental breakdown and took down ALL his posters except the Spirited Away one :jonny2:

The scene with his brother :jonny:

Merab's last dance :jonny:

In from the Side (2022) - It could have been way shorter. It had no business being 2h14m when this could have been done in like 1h. I read that the director also co-wrote, edited, photographed, wrote/performed the music for it and.....it made so much sense nn. :toofunny3: The man definitely has some talent but could have benefited from some help. I liked the trailer so I was a bit let down though. Overall, I still think it's enjoyable for a debut indie (?) feature film and I loved how it wasn't yet another story about gay guys struggling with their sexuality. They're just ******* who play rugby from the start. :michael:

Handsome Devil (2016) - Was kinda a chore to sit through but I ended up liking it pls. It's such a chaotic mess. Hot Priest was easily the best thing about it. End the toxic masculinity for me king. :gaycat2:

Spoiler

Props for making it about a platonic gay friendship and avoiding the cliché of two highschool boys falling for each other in a homophobic school :cm: 

Edited by State of Grace.
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

• ATRL Moderator
On 7/28/2023 at 1:31 PM, harwee said:

Peridot

Its an interesting story, overall good performances, the production values seems very pro that's rare in LGBT films.

But i'm just over a gay lead playing a prostitute

Just watched this tonight after seeing your post (hadn't heard of it before) and enjoyed it.

Some thoughts:

Spoiler

- More movies should be 64 minutes

- I thought Gabriel's acting wasn't always the best, but he was hot, so it's OK. (The actor also wrote and directed the film, so I guess it was a passion project and he wanted to be the lead too.) They should have showed dong tho :noparty:

- When the author started dancing to the record :cute: It was giving "try not to say mother"

- How was Gabriel so bad at his job? :dies: The way he spent half his shifts in bathrooms, acted disinterested with clients, habitually stole, I—

- I thought it was a little weird that Gabriel didn't know about the son after reading her autobiography. Like, she didn't write about that at all? :huh:

- I'm not sure this was even an LGBT film :laugh: Was Gabriel gay? I feel like he was just gay-for-pay.

@Katamari, in case you're wondering, there is a scene of the characters frolicking in water :swim2:

• ATRL Moderator
On 7/28/2023 at 8:03 PM, State of Grace. said:

In from the Side (2022) - It could have been way shorter. It had no business being 2h14m when this could have been done in like 1h. I read that the director also co-wrote, edited, photographed, wrote/performed the music for it and.....it made so much sense nn. :toofunny3: The man definitely has some talent but could have benefited from some help. I liked the trailer so I was a bit let down though. Overall, I still think it's enjoyable for a debut indie (?) feature film and I loved how it wasn't yet another story about gay guys struggling with their sexuality. They're just ******* who play rugby from the start. :michael:

Oh dear, looks like @Alyssa Edwards spilled about this one :redface:

I'm still gonna watch eventually just because there are so few gay films with high production value, so I just watch all of them :toofunny2:

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

3 hours ago, feelslikeadream said:

Just watched this tonight after seeing your post (hadn't heard of it before) and enjoyed it.

Some thoughts:

Reveal hidden contents

- More movies should be 64 minutes

- I thought Gabriel's acting wasn't always the best, but he was hot, so it's OK. (The actor also wrote and directed the film, so I guess it was a passion project and he wanted to be the lead too.) They should have showed dong tho :noparty:

- When the author started dancing to the record :cute: It was giving "try not to say mother"

- How was Gabriel so bad at his job? :dies: The way he spent half his shifts in bathrooms, acted disinterested with clients, habitually stole, I—

- I thought it was a little weird that Gabriel didn't know about the son after reading her autobiography. Like, she didn't write about that at all? :huh:

- I'm not sure this was even an LGBT film :laugh: Was Gabriel gay? I feel like he was just gay-for-pay.

@Katamari, in case you're wondering, there is a scene of the characters frolicking in water :swim2:

Of course there is :redface: it’s a conspiracy at this point 

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.