Nintendo Q2 Results - Switch to Surpass PS4 Soon

Eternium

Nintendo just released their financial results for Q2 (July 1st - September 30th).

Nintendo Switch Hardware - 114.33M (+3.25M)
Nintendo Switch Software - 917.59M* (+54M)

Mario Kart 8 Deluxe - 48.41M (+1.59M)
Animal Crossing: New Horizons - 40.17M (+790k)
Super Smash Bros. Ultimate - 29.53M (+710k)
The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild - 27.79M (+650k)
Pokémon Sword/Shield - 25.37M (+870k)
Super Mario Odyssey - 24.40M (+470k)
Super Mario Party - 18.35M (+290k)
Pokemon Brilliant Diamond/Shining Pearl - 14.92M (+130k)
Ring Fit Adventure - 14.87M (+330k)
Pokemon: Let’s Go! - 14.81M (+150k)
Pokemon Legends: Arceus - 13.91M (+1.27M since March 31st, 2022)
Mario Party Superstars - 8.07M (+1.19M since March 31st, 2022)
Splatoon 3 - 7.90M
Nintendo Switch Sports - 6.15M (+1.31M)
Kirby and the Forgotten Land - 5.27M (+740k)
Mario Strikers: Battle League - 2.17M (+260k)
Xenoblade Chronicles 3 - 1.72M

With the Pokemon Scarlet/Violet OLED models shipping last Friday, Switch has unofficially passed PS4’s lifetime total of 117.2M consoles shipped AND Game Boy/Color’s 118.69M. We’ll get those numbers officially in February.

*Software excludes digital-only titles.

Edited by Eternium

Could see Switch in top 3 best selling consoles of all times when Scarlet and Violet dropped :jonny:

Miss Rona really gave AC a new peak :jonny:

Hope BOTW cross 30 million at some point. She deserves! 
And I think Splat3 sold around 7 or 8 millions from launch to now (?):jonny3:

Pokémon Sword/Shield - 25.37M (+870k)
Pokemon Brilliant Diamond/Shining Pearl - 14.92M (+130k)
Pokemon: Let’s Go! - 14.81M (+150k)
Pokemon Legends: Arceus - 13.91M (+1.27M since March 31st, 2022)

Very cute update for Legends. Will probably pass Let’s Go eventually and it’s probably already the biggest individual game in the series besides RBY. 

We love to see it! The super system (with better games) won! :clap3:

They're not letting this console die anytime soon, huh? :skull:

The hardware has been STRUGGLING for quite some time, but I don't think they're gonna bother with a successor right now. Not when they're pulling these numbers.

4 minutes ago, NicoleAMatty said:

They're not letting this console die anytime soon, huh? :skull:

The hardware has been STRUGGLING for quite some time, but I don't think they're gonna bother with a successor right now. Not when they're pulling these numbers.

The hardware literally could not be doing better. Only the DS and PS2 have outshipped it, and the PS2 had a production cycle of 12 years and three major revisions. The DS had a production cycle of at least 8 years and three major revisions. 

The Nintendo Switch will be 6 years old in March 2023 and only has two major revisions (the Lite and the OLED model). If they decide to do a third revision and keep it going through at least year 8, it will easily be the #1 biggest console ever. That’s a huge “if” though because we don’t know if Nintendo is ready to start their next generation or not.

• ATRL Moderator

Not MK8 selling in a quarter what many games fail to sell in lifetime sales :gaycat6: Why are people still buying this game? MK9 def never coming.

4 minutes ago, feelslikeadream said:

Not MK8 selling in a quarter what many games fail to sell in lifetime sales :gaycat6: Why are people still buying this game? MK9 def never coming.

the fact i have pretty much every mario spinoff game for the switch but not mk8 or odyssey :redface: mario November it is :redface: 

King Kirby becoming Nintendo 2nd biggest platforming franchise. 

I love Kirby getting MPG numbers, the game is super cute and casual well deserved!

4 hours ago, InventedGays said:

I think they are saying the performance of the hardware is struggling not the sales, as in it's not strong enough to keep up with modern games

I had a feeling, which is why I brought up the possibility of extending its life with a power revision. We’re definitely less than two years away from a performance update and it’s all just speculation now on whether it will be a stronger revision or a brand new console. Honestly, I’m hoping they have a power revision in May 2023 for Tears of the Kingdom and then a brand new console in holiday 2025. It’s too early for me to move on from the Switch.

2 hours ago, Seffers said:

I love Kirby getting MPG numbers, the game is super cute and casual well deserved!

It’s crazy to think that it’s just now setting a new sales peak over 30 years in to the series’s run :skull: Mega-Man just did it, too.

Some other sales tidbits:

@tiagol88 @Liafen Do you guys remember when the last time Sony outsold Nintendo was? Was it Q2 2019 or 2018?

6 minutes ago, Eternium said:

Some other sales tidbits:

@tiagol88 @Liafen Do you guys remember when the last time Sony outsold Nintendo was? Was it Q2 2019 or 2018?

I’m not sure rn. I’ll try snd find out.

Dead at Xbox revealing revenue only and not consoles sold :deadbanana4:

12 hours ago, feelslikeadream said:

Yeah, we're not getting MK9 until next gen. Especially if they're going to be releasing DLC through the end of 2023/start of 2024.

8 hours ago, Eternium said:

I had a feeling, which is why I brought up the possibility of extending its life with a power revision. We’re definitely less than two years away from a performance update and it’s all just speculation now on whether it will be a stronger revision or a brand new console. Honestly, I’m hoping they have a power revision in May 2023 for Tears of the Kingdom and then a brand new console in holiday 2025. It’s too early for me to move on from the Switch.

It’s crazy to think that it’s just now setting a new sales peak over 30 years in to the series’s run :skull: Mega-Man just did it, too.

I wish I was this optimistic. I really think we're overdue for a more powerful Switch because it has the processing power of a potato and struggles to run games/ports that were released over a decade ago. But I'm also not done with the Switch either. In many ways, it's one of the best consoles in generations (not in terms of power, of course). Nintendo did say recently that we're about halfway through the Switch's life-cycle, but I don't know how honest they're being about that if they want to continue selling Switch consoles. I think Holiday 2023 is the earliest we'll get a more powerful version of the Switch (I think it will be able to run Tears of the Kingdom just fine just like it ran BOTW just fine, save for the frame rate drops in some areas [hopefully, they've learned enough about the Switch hardware since then to make those go away], but I do believe we will NEED a more powerful Switch to run Metroid Prime 4 properly [but who knows when that's even coming out?]), and a new console probably in Holiday 2026-Early 2027 (if Nintendo is being truthful about their timeline).

Edited by DirtyPony87

Pokémon Legends coming for BDSP’s wig :clap3:

2023 is giving us DK and Rhythm Heaven :gaycat1::heart2:

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.