Twitter to charge $20 a month for verification

Gui Blackout

There are 294,000 verified twitter accounts so that's $5.8M a month. Elon is gonna be richer. :clap3:

5 minutes ago, Jude said:

There are 294,000 verified twitter accounts so that's $5.8M a month. Elon is gonna be richer. :clap3:

at least... think of all the ppl who WANT the blue check mark

i wiilllll be verifying my account w 400 followers

6 minutes ago, Jude said:

Only 294000? I expected way more

:rip: 

1 minute ago, Yossarian said:

at least... think of all the ppl who WANT the blue check mark

i wiilllll be verifying my account w 400 followers

Yup, millions of people will probably avail that blue check mark. Elon is indeed genius at making money. 

What r the current requirements for a verified account?

not the blatant lay-off fearmongering

how is that even legal?

this guy is the worst :deadbanana2:

Do you at least have to have like 100k followers or something?

If anyone can get it for $20 a month is honestly not worth it :rip:

Once everyone has access to it, it loses all its prestige. 

Edited by Trent W

There seems to be an assumption that all those artists and celebrities are dying to pay for extra clout when a lot of them don't even use Twitter and just have someone on their team post on their behalf.

Will be interesting to see the uptick of either blue check randoms scamming people with their badge or phishing schemes a la Youtube comments section copying those without the badge.

When the system is botched due to rush release and they leak people's personal credentials, what then :deadbanana4: Seeing him scrambling to punish them for his own mistake is honestly laughable

Edited by Illuminati

2 minutes ago, Trent W said:

u dont even need that now :skull:

2 minutes ago, Yossarian said:

u dont even need that now :skull:

So anyone who pays $20 can get it?

The blue check used to mean you are an authentic personal figure or company with prestige.

Now all it means is that you are paying $20 :rip:

1 minute ago, Trent W said:

The blue check used to mean you are an authentic personal figure or company with prestige.

correct :D i think its genius tbh

lol the blue check was hardly that prestigious , buncha loser journalists have it for seemingly no good reason

twitter.com/eatpraylusk

I say *** em, remove the false sense of superiority the blue checks have. If having a blue check is no longer prestigious (barely presitigous now) , hllll yea

• ATRL Moderator

This is pretty dumb. The point of the blue checkmark literally exists so anyone with a little bit of a public career could avoid being impersonated online. It's not there so people feel cool (like some people seem to think). A platform charging for that basic feature is so insanely dumb. But, go off Elon. I hope he continues to make Twitter worse so we can just render the platform irrelevant since it's just a stain on society at this point.

So basically the checkmark is going to lose all meaning. :clap3: Cant wait for that site to crumble just like truth social.

25 minutes ago, Trent W said:

How many of the ones with a verified badge are actually a personal figure with prestige :mandown:

32 minutes ago, DonSiblon said:

I love it, I love it! It gives me that buzz… 

12 minutes ago, est. in 90s said:

Blue check twitter about to be in shambles 

lxJ8KOJ.thumb.gif.49f5d5e623c30a5e71fcb2

nnnnnn

Regardless of the feature, can we talk about how he's giving the employees order on a Sunday and telling them if it's not done in 5 business days, they're fired? What kind of a leader is this? Horrible person.

I wonder if he's like that at Tesla too. The amount of bugs that software must have - a nightmare. 

He’s setting up his bid to end democracy slowly and carefully I see.

Blue check marks give validity to tweets and profiles. People trust them, especially people who aren’t internet savvy. This is messy, but social media moves in and so will we.

1 hour ago, Trent W said:

right now, it's given ad hoc mostly via direct relationships between twitter and publications, talent agencies, advertising/PR agencies, government communications, etc. (for example, a place like new york times has dedicated account manager at twitter who they can ask to verify their journalists). there's no minimum requirements in terms of followers or anything like that. 

Edited by teresaguidice

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.