UK Labour threatened to sack Indian MP for calling new PM bad representation

Communion

Edited by Communion

Not Nadia… come ON. She’s one of the best MPs in the party.

I don't entirely agree with her statement as I think there is some symbolic value with this PM. The colonialist country with a leader who's ethnic background comes from their biggest colony...

However, what business does Labour have silencing one of it's MPs for making an entirely reasonable and fair statement? Because it goes against the corporate diversity narrative? And a WoC no less. Keir Starmer may lead Labour to electoral success, but does that matter when he's destroying the party's integrity to do it?

10 minutes ago, qurl said:

no one eats their own like the left

Not sure it's the left-wing of the Labour party threatening to sack her, it seems!

Beyond ridiculous, considering she's a British-Indian herself :rip: If Rishi Sunak is meant to represent her, she should be allowed to share her thoughts about it!

Edited by John Slayne

31 minutes ago, qurl said:

no one eats their own like the left

I’m 99% sure that it’s the centrists who are doing this 

Leave it to Labor to claw each others eyes out over petty identity politics rather than make use of Tories’ historically awful numbers for political gains 

But she's not getting sacked???? 

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-nottinghamshire-63405307

A spokesperson for Ms Whittome told the BBC she would not apologise for the tweet and had not been asked to do so by the party.

Labour has confirmed it is not expecting her to apologise and it is understood the party now considers the matter closed.

Her tweet doesn't even make sense. He is a win for Asian/minority representation despite his political beliefs. She's attacking him for being a tory AND for being Asian? The left needs to get a grip sometimes 

1 hour ago, cockatoo said:

But she's not getting sacked???? 

The link you're referencing confirms she was pressured and told to delete it. 

Elsom's tweet above confirms the threat of being suspended was leveraged to get her to do it.

It's good if they realize the political miscalculation to go ahead with it, but I can't imagine the left-wing of the party would be thrilled that they've stopped short at just threatening her to silence criticism aimed at Rishi.

I'll update the title to past tense now that backlash to it seems to have been at least heard.

49 minutes ago, Brando said:

Her tweet doesn't even make sense. He is a win for Asian/minority representation despite his political beliefs.

Even if his political beliefs by virtue of what they are being meant to disenfranchise Asians within the UK? Would someone like Priti Patel having power be deemed a gain for migrants, by virtue of her parents being migrants, despite her advocating for drowning migrant rafts? :toofunny3:

Edited by Communion

12 minutes ago, Communion said:

Even if his political beliefs by virtue of what they are being meant to disenfranchise Asians within the UK? Would someone like Priti Patel having power be deemed a gain for migrants, by virtue of her parents being migrants, despite her advocating for drowning migrant rafts? :toofunny3:

An asian kid (or any other minority kid) growing up in the UK would look at their leader and think that they could also achieve anything in this country if they worked hard for it. That's a win for representation. His policies aren't innate to his background. The two can be separate. If you want to attack him for being a Tory, don't bring race into it. Appointing ethnic minorities to Home Secretary roles so they could be tougher on migrants while avoiding being called racist is nothing new from the tories and not a win for the migrants, but having a diverse cabinet is still a win for representation. 

Just now, Brando said:

An asian kid (or any other minority kid) growing up in the UK would look at their leader and think that they could also achieve anything in this country if they worked hard for it. That's a win for representation. His policies aren't innate to his background. The two can be separate. If you want to attack him for being a Tory, don't bring race into it. Appointing ethnic minorities to Home Secretary roles so they could be tougher on migrants while avoiding being called racist is nothing new from the tories and not a win for the migrants, but having a diverse cabinet is still a win for representation. 

But Nadia's criticism is that such won't be a result of Rishi's rise to power, which is more-so due to his billionaire status. How does Rishi's rise to PM give Asian children within Britain more pathways to entering government if minority families end up disproportionately poor and Rishi's policies under the Tories will see them suffer purposefully even more? Her criticism is that you can only call it a win if representation is descriptive and not material. 

I mean, if you want to disagree with her that representation should only be descriptive and doesn't need to be material, that's fine, but clearly people reasonably take issue with the irony of a largely centrist white Labour leadership scolding a British-Indian MP for arguing a rich British-Indian billionaire being PM doesn't materially benefit the lives of British-Indian families within the UK and that descriptive representation is meaningless. :celestial5: All I've seen from friends in the UK is out-rage and conclusions that Starmer's Labour is no longer home for the left.

Nadia did not lie, he's an oligarch working for oligarchs. Him being PM won't make life better for the average Asian in Britain or anyone else that isn't mega wealthy for that matter

What Britain needs is rent control and funding for the NHS, not silencing criticism because "representation"

She didn’t lie, just because Rishi is a POC doesn’t mean we all have to like him or think he’s great representation.

Labour can be such a joke. 

As a south Asian woman living in the UK, she of all people should be able to express her feelings about the first PM from an Asian background and a white man trying to police that feels very wrong. I will be voting Green in the next election if Keir is still the leader.

9 hours ago, Communion said:

But Nadia's criticism is that such won't be a result of Rishi's rise to power, which is more-so due to his billionaire status. How does Rishi's rise to PM give Asian children within Britain more pathways to entering government if minority families end up disproportionately poor and Rishi's policies under the Tories will see them suffer purposefully even more? Her criticism is that you can only call it a win if representation is descriptive and not material. 

I didn't talk about pathways. I talked about hope. Rishi won't be PM for very long, so ultimately his political background won't matter as much as his historic appointment. 

3 hours ago, Brando said:

I didn't talk about pathways. I talked about hope. Rishi won't be PM for very long, so ultimately his political background won't matter as much as his historic appointment. 

Rishi’s appointment is hardly a win or inspiring for POC when you look at it, he was “elected” by 150 MPs and not even the Tory members wanted him. 

This isn’t like Obama who actually had the support from the people, if Rishi wins an election then it will be different.  

3 hours ago, CaptainMusic said:

Rishi’s appointment is hardly a win or inspiring for POC when you look at it, he was “elected” by 150 MPs and not even the Tory members wanted him. 

This isn’t like Obama who actually had the support from the people, if Rishi wins an election then it will be different.  

Whichever our system of electing leaders, he was elected leader and will now represent the country for about 2 years. Children won't know the difference between left and right politics, but they could identify a leader

She's not wrong. That's why when people were rejoicing over him becoming PM, I was like "is this a flex"?

His own team didn't even want him as PM - they instead placed an incompetent, inexperienced woman in the position over him. They only had to make PM now because they had no other options and to not come across as racist if they overlooked him again.

The man is not in tune with majority of the country. He is there to benefit himself and his fellow rich Conservatives only.

We need a general election.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.