1989 vs Midnights. Which era will end up bigger?

freddisier

1989 vs Midnights   

95 members have voted

1. 1. Which era will end up bigger in the end?

• Midnights

I know we are only like 1 week into the midnights era, but given how massive its first week was (let’s face it, midnights > 1989 for first week performance), and it’s fun to predict these things, which era do you think will end up bigger? 

1989 was a perfect era with crazy commercial success, massive tour and even with an AOTY. Will midnights match it or just end up a front loaded era in the end?

Edited by freddisier

not a chance and it’s also much weaker so it doesn’t deserve it 

Midnights is more global. 1989 is local. The slayage in Europe is something 1909 can only wish :giraffe:

1989 because its hits are bigger and the songs are actually memorable. The majority of Midnights is so bland and forgettable that I doubt it’ll be out charting 1989 (TV) a few years from now. 

1989 celebrity wise

But I hope that midnights will not be another frontloaded era, and Taylor to put out more singles like lavender haze, midnight rain, maroon!!!

First thread comparing them, I instantly thought that there is no way Mid is going to beat 1989 just because of 1st week

the sales climate isn't that healthy as they were back then andd Mid prolly won't have the huge hits that 1989 had

1989 was a Moment

however, Streams are much bigger and they will continue to increase

if Taylor really pushes this era..say like Dua pushes her eras, it really might have a chance

however she is Yet to release 1989TV, which will bring a Lot of attention to it (and tbh, everyone is waiting for it. look at how RedTV did, imagine how this will do)

so the gap might end up bigger

+by the way it's going, she is looking to release her versions pretty quickly (quicker than most artists are releasing albums in fact)

so it has a pretty good chance of the era being cut short or just be cannibalized

Let's see how it does singles-wise, 1989 had two smash hits so it'll most likely end up as the bigger era overall.

1989 will win in sales and single success. Midnights will win in touring gross and streaming units. :gaycat4: 

7 minutes ago, WeFoundTrouble said:

1989 will win in sales and single success. Midnights will win in touring gross and streaming units. :gaycat4: 

And who will win in sales + streaming :giraffe:

Think that is the main question here... And I'm not sure

13 minutes ago, Rev8 said:

First thread comparing them, I instantly thought that there is no way Mid is going to beat 1989 just because of 1st week

the sales climate isn't that healthy as they were back then andd Mid prolly won't have the huge hits that 1989 had

1989 was a Moment

however, Streams are much bigger and they will continue to increase

if Taylor really pushes this era..say like Dua pushes her eras, it really might have a chance

however she is Yet to release 1989TV, which will bring a Lot of attention to it (and tbh, everyone is waiting for it. look at how RedTV did, imagine how this will do)

so the gap might end up bigger

+by the way it's going, she is looking to release her versions pretty quickly (quicker than most artists are releasing albums in fact)

so it has a pretty good chance of the era being cut short or just be cannibalized

I agree, I hope Taylor can really push this era like how she pushed red (original version) 10 years ago!!!! And tour more countries!!!

5 minutes ago, simmnfierzig said:

And who will win in sales + streaming :giraffe:

Think that is the main question here... And I'm not sure

I don’t think Midnights has any chance of going Diamond in the US or pushing basically 25M units worldwide.. THAT would be insane. I’d love to see it try though! 

It will be bigger only on a tour side.

As album sales 1989 is untouchable (the ***** still sells 30K copies at week) and also on singles side will be similar to Lover. I think she's gonna release the Lavander Haze new video very soon and then a 4th video around march and then it's over. 

I mean they already send Lavander and Karma to pop radios so it's not gonna be a 2 years era. 

Edited by vale9001

anyway i see 1989 Tv very far away from now. Speak now in 2023. New album in 2024 (again something less pop and not a big release), then 1989 in 2025 and a new tour in 2026. 

Edited by vale9001

no chance in hell mid will even come close

but if she picks and pushes the right songs (Karma, Lavender Haze, Midnight Rain, WCS, maybe SotB) I can see it achieving 50% of 1989's success

Midnights will be cut short by another TV early in 2023, whereas 1989 had a long string of obvious hit singles. No competition ma’am 

1989 will always be more culturally relevant and impactful than all her other albums bar folklore. Midnights will still be commercially successful and have longevity (before Swifties come at me) because she’s launched herself into a different tier of stardom through the pandemic and with the rerecordings. I don’t think in the long term the general consensus around Midnights will be particularly prevalent in the cultural conversation or within her fandom. It’s very much a transitional album out of folkmore to whatever is next, and doesn’t have the same addition to the narrative of her career like 1989 did.

1989. Midnights is basically her 25, humongous first weeks numbers but will lack the longevity and overall success than 1989 had.

Edited by UnusualBoy

I think Midnights will get close if we are rational and consider that sales in 2014 and 2022 are completely different.

Midnights debut already was 3 times more impressive since selling 1.5m rn is like selling 2.3m in 2014.

The only thing that 1989 has that midnight won’t is massive hits that extended the era more 2.5 years.

Midnights will be cut short because of the TVs by spring next year. 

Anti Hero will be the only big single from this era.. The era will be dead by January. Meanwhile 1989 served SMASH after SMASH. No one including Taylor is breaking 1989 records. 

It’s too early to tell. The edge obviously lies with 1989 given that era was so colossal and had five hit singles to support it, but Midnights shouldn’t be counted out - debuting in the streaming era means that it’s not limited by some hypothetical saturation point for purchases and can instead experience indefinitely higher consumption in the later stages of its chart run than 1989 did. Not only that, but at some point soon, 1989 will have its life cut short by the rerecording. I think there is a small but real chance that Midnights looks bigger if we look back in like ten years, especially if it manages to get 3+ hit singles (which seems very possible right now with its great streaming response).

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.