So is ‘Lover’ officially Taylor’s worst album?

Itz_Dani!

Lover   

93 members have voted

1. 1. Is it her worst album?

• Yes, can’t believe she thought to create Lover let alone release it
    • No. She has made worse.

With Taylor going back to Pop with Midnights after the switch from it through folklore and evermore and the success (well, for folklore) and acclaims of both of these albums , some stans were worried about this album being as bad as or worse than Lover. 

On release day, though, Midnights proved to be an excellent album, some even argue it is her best Pop album so far. This leaves Lover considered to be an exception & stain to an otherwise great discography, labeled her worst album. 

do you guys agree?

Lover is her worst album but some of the songs are really great. A major problem though is that the album is too bloated. A shorter album (with its original title Daylight; sorry but Lover was always cringey to me) would have made for a great transition era between rep and folklore.

Daylight

1. Cruel Summer
  2. I Think He Know
  3. Paper Rings
  4. Cornelia Street
  5. Death By A Thousand Cuts
  6. Soon You'll Get Better
  7. False God
  8. Afterglow
  9. It's Nice To Have A Friend
  10. Daylight

Lover has amazing tracks but as a whole it's a mess. It feels like a Greatest Hits album to me. All her albums have a soundscape, that offer variety but are cohesive as a whole but Lover jumps a lot between genres, moods and whatnot.

I just know that Max Martin could've made a masterpiece out of the album. 

Debut is a lot weaker than Lover, in my opinion.

Folklore > Red (TV) > Reputata > 1989 > Midnights = Speak Now > Evermore > Lover > Fearless > Debut  

4 minutes ago, Schami66 said:

Lover has amazing tracks but as a whole it's a mess. It feels like a Greatest Hits album to me. All her albums have a soundscape, that offer variety but are cohesive as a whole but Lover jumps a lot between genres, moods and whatnot.

I just know that Max Martin could've made a masterpiece out of the album. 

Debut is a lot weaker than Lover, in my opinion.

Folklore > Red (TV) > Reputata > 1989 > Midnights = Speak Now > Evermore > Lover > Fearless > Debut  

That is almost exactly my ranking. I have 1989 after Folklore and Red after Reputation 

Her debut is worse. The production, vocals and melodies are really weak on most of that album. 

The second worst is a battle between Midnights and Lover. 

Lover tried a lot of different things. It’s bloated and generally unpleasant to listen to from start to finish (the whiplash of London Boy - Soon You’ll Get Better - False God is something). It’s one of those albums where the artist throws everything against the wall to see what will stick. 

Midnights is kind of the opposite. She tried nothing new and the result is lukewarm and overly-familiar. It was honestly weird to listen to Midnights the first time because everything was reminiscent - from the title track being a I Think He Knows re-do. Still, at least it’s cohesive and none of the songs are strictly bad. 

I think Midnights is the better album but I definitely was more interested in Lover when it released. Midnights suffers from Jack running out of ideas while Lover suffers from Taylor having too many half-baked ideas. 

Neither of them come close to 1989/reputation. She needs Max Martin for her pop albums. 

Lover is in the lower tier of her discography, along Reputation and Debut. I think Debut TV might change things up and Lover and Reputation will be tied at the bottom.

As of now:

evermore > folklore > Red TV > Speak Now > Midnights > 1989 > Fearless TV > Lover = Reputation > Debut

What I expect after all TVs are out:

evermore > folklore = Speak Now TV > Red TV > Midnights > 1989 TV > Debut TV > Fearless TV > Reputation TV > Lover

I think Reputation's Vault Track might give it the edge to become really better than Lover. 

Edited by Klein

lownights is the worst tied with mixtape

Still reputation 

More like it's her best album :coffee2:

14 minutes ago, Klein said:

Lover is in the lower tier of her discography, along Reputation and Debut. I think Debut TV might change things up and Lover and Reputation will be tied at the bottom.

As of now:

evermore > folklore > Red TV > Speak Now > Midnights > 1989 > Fearless TV > Lover = Reputation > Debut

What I expect after all TVs are out:

evermore > folklore = Speak Now TV > Red TV > Midnights > 1989 TV > Debut TV > Fearless TV > Reputation TV > Lover

I think Reputation's Vault Track might give it the edge to become really better than Lover. 

oh my

this is the first time i see a swiftie on this forum serving taste

• ATRL Moderator

Let's do the math. 

Number of Skips (standard edition)

Taylor Swift - 4

Fearless - 3

Speak Now - 5

Red - 3

1989 - 3

Reputation - 3

Lover - 9

folklore - 2

evermore - 2

Midnights - 3

So yes, Lover is the worst :coffee2:

Lover has embarrassments like ME! and YNTCD but it's also got gems like Miss Americana and the Heartbreak Prince, Afterglow, The Archer, title track... I could go on. MIDnights has some cute songs and Anti-Hero really is great but as an album it's middling and at worst forgetful 

I would say Midnights is more cohesive and consistent, but in my opinion, the highs on Lover (Cruel Summer, ITHK, Afterglow, Miss Americana, Cornelia Street, etc) are much stronger tracks than the better tracks off Midnights (Anti Hero, Maroon, YOYO,K, etc). 

Lover was actually a great, underrated album outside the pop singles and some of the filler tracks like INTHAF. 

Maybe if Taylor Swift and Midnights cease to exist. 

Lover is definitely one of the worst. Simply because of how long the project is and the low lows are just some of the worst of her career (The Man)

As of now (Post midnights hype era)

Red - Folklore - Speak Now - 1989 - Midnights - Fearless - Reputa - Evermore - Lover - Taylor Swift

The whole Midnights is basically the cheap version of a single song on Lover (The Archer), so I guess the answer is no.

People do too much on Lover. It has high HIGHS, compensating on the weaker songs. It's her second best pop album after Midnights.

Evermore > Midnights > Red > Folklore > Speak Now = Lover > 1989 > Reputation > Fearless > TS

Lover is fine except for London Boy and a few others. evermore is worse as it's just folklore rejects.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.