Why is Nicki’s catalogue so forgotten?

Both Sides Now

Hi everyone. Unfortunately, Nicki Minaj’s catalogue of songs is forgotten. Why?

If you didn’t know (and I don’t blame you if you didn’t), Nicki released a compilation of 29 songs called Queen Radio: Volume 1.

The compilation is selling ~13.8k per week; with ~8.8k coming from Super Freaky Girl. That means only ~5k sales are generated by her whole catalogue of 28 “hits”. It’s very likely it won’t even chart without her Dr-Luke-penned-track Super Freaky Girl.

What is it about Nicki’s catalogue that is so forgettable?

Compilation weekly: https://www.hitsdailydouble.com/sales_plus_streaming

SFG weekly: 

Edited by Both Sides Now

And before people claim it’s because some of the SPS of other songs aren’t counted…

read this:

https://twitter.com/talkofthecharts/status/1359284202819227654?s=46&t=V3X4pKDWWdQjfmFyqnJYkw

None of Nicki’s albums have charted in years so it’s not due to the SPS getting sent to her previous albums; they’re each pulling less than 5k per week. I’ll remind everyone that this compilation includes 2022 singles Do We Have a Problem? and Bussin’. Why is she so forgotten?

well of the top 3 hits her previous albums got,

anaconda is just a tribute cover to a better song.

super bass is cute but nothing special.

She’s ban from radio. Radios are still a huge platform for recurrent airplay with wide to average audiences. That's why Katy, Ed, Rihanna ang Justin’s hits are still remembered to this day.

How could it be forgotten when people who don’t like her take their time to track streams and sales? That’s impressive! It means people care about her success and music :johnald:

6 minutes ago, Anvarie said:

How could it be forgotten when people who don’t like her take their time to track streams and sales? That’s impressive! It means people care about her success and music :johnald:

They’re forgotten because 28 of her singles are pulling considerably

less than 10 year old+ albums by Lana/Gaga/Katy etc. Considering there are two 2022 singles on it too it’s doing quite horribly. 

I just happened to notice how horrendously her catalogue is doing compared to her contemporaries when I checked the latest HDD. It doesn’t bode well for NM5, but then again - that will probably never happen! :heart2:

Edited by Both Sides Now

14 minutes ago, Both Sides Now said:

They’re forgotten because 28 of her singles are pulling considerably

less than 10 year old+ albums by Lana/Gaga/Katy etc. Considering there are two 2022 singles on it too it’s doing quite horribly. 

I just happened to notice how horrendously her catalogue is doing compared to her contemporaries when I checked the latest HDD. It doesn’t bode well for NM5, but then again - that will probably never happen! :heart2:

Whatever you say, it’s your free time. Spend it how you wish Mariah stan :gaycat4:

her albums are terrible and i mean down BAD

pink friday sounds like dated 2007 mess

roman reloaded is edm atrocity 

re up sounds dated as well

pinkprint has mostly highs but the duds are down BAD, a lil kim notorious kim album carbon copy formula wise

queen is really ****

to answer the op: terrible music and her stans only stan an aesthetic 

Edited by #Beautiful

2 hours ago, Both Sides Now said:

That means only ~5k sales are generated by her whole catalogue of 28 “hits”.

2 hours ago, Both Sides Now said:

I’ll remind everyone that this compilation includes 2022 singles Do We Have a Problem? and Bussin’. Why is she so forgotten?

SCREAMING :deadbanana:

The way this colossal flop has so little to show for such "longevity". This is pitiful... 

The answer is she has an awful catalogue, out of which barely 3 songs are ingrained in the consciousness of the GP. 

During the vaccine mess all the news outlets dragging her would only acknowledge... Superbass :deadbanana:

A lot of her songs sound very much like of her time, and she had several meme hits which don't age well. But everyone knows Super Bass.

Quantity over quality.

This is strange considering her overall daily streams are decent. It seems the heavy lifting may come from the features

Most of her hits have been cheesy pop songs that aged terribly. Who wants to listen to Starships in 2022? 

I always thought the daily streaming stats of her studio albums were very underwhelming for an artist that has such a passionate and loud fanbase online. I guess they need to focus on hold more streaming parties instead of bullying other female rappers. 

Edited by Scars

10 hours ago, Both Sides Now said:

And before people claim it’s because some of the SPS of other songs aren’t counted…

read this:

https://twitter.com/talkofthecharts/status/1359284202819227654?s=46&t=V3X4pKDWWdQjfmFyqnJYkw

None of Nicki’s albums have charted in years so it’s not due to the SPS getting sent to her previous albums; they’re each pulling less than 5k per week. I’ll remind everyone that this compilation includes 2022 singles Do We Have a Problem? and Bussin’. Why is she so forgotten?

I wouldn't know the tracklisting on the album but are all of her biggest hits on that compilation???

Personally as a stan from 2009-Jan 2015, I think her catalog hit like Mc Donalds chicken nuggets hit the spot for the moment. I think out of 200 releases, I'd say alot of her songs seem to fit a certain time and don't stand beyond that time. She has some songs that people still enjoy but the brilliance of Drake's catalog (early on) was that it went beyond it's time. Now his new stuff chile:lakitu: but they still stream it, though (not me). 

I think for a female rap album to have legs it has to connect beyond hardcore fans. Casual fans and fickle fans need to delight in the catalog. Bandwagon fans always fall off after the new car scent smell fades and post comeback. If you look at Kim's Hardcore, Missy elliott's catalog, Lauryn Hill's Miseducations, Cardi B's IOP, they are not predominantly enjoyed by hardcore stans. They have alot of casual and fickle fans to partake.

For some reason, I didn't think all of her huge hits were on her compilation anyways.

Does someone have a breakdown of the numbers that make up the additional 5k?

1 hour ago, onewillowsilk said:

Because her albums are trash.

I always read your posts in Lauryn's voice:ahh:

1 hour ago, mariahcarey said:

Quantity over quality.

You are making a valid point.

I remember billboard did a breakdown of her top 20 most successful songs and like 15 of them were features and out of the other 5 only 2 were rap songs. I wonder if that has something to do with it. Do features count towards the artists page? Likely not...probably the main artist page.

The Lil wayne effect but Lil wayne has at least one classic album (he has two but one that's undeniable to the hip hop crowd).

most rap girls always got poor recurrent naming missy, kimberly, eve, trina, and those dated nicki albums are no exception. then, if she put in effort on her own songs than writing random verses which imo featuring catalogue sound better too, well quick little money from own grand talent doesnt translate to longevity on nicki case.   

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.