Movie/series recommendation?

suburbannature

I've been a film buff for so long that it feels like a long time since I've been truly captivated by a film.

Can someone recommend a beautifully-shot, female-led film or series that sticks with you for days after?

Something like Lost in Translation, Under the Skin, Blue is the Warmest Color, 3 Women, Mulholland Dr, Millennium Mambo, Opening Night, Sunset Blvd. 

Extra points for a great score/soundtrack. I'm under-seen on Japanese/Korean cinema, so may be some gems in there.

8 minutes ago, suburbannature said:

female-led series that sticks with you for days after?

The Series "Veneno"

dBUIbbP.gif

3 minutes ago, Alyssa Edwards said:

The Series "Veneno"

dBUIbbP.gif

I heard this was really good :jonny: 

5 minutes ago, Almodusa said:

Mare of Easttown has stuck with me for a year lol

I haven't given it a shot yet because it looked too much like a tame Sharp Objects :rip: 

1 minute ago, suburbannature said:

I haven't given it a shot yet because it looked too much like a tame Sharp Objects :rip: 

It reminded me a lot of Broadchurch 

if you’re into old movies, the classic film noirs Laura and Leave Her To Heaven (both starring Gene Tierney) are incredible and also Gilda starting Rita Hayworth :gaycat1:

1 hour ago, Almodusa said:

It reminded me a lot of Broadchurch 

I just googled MoE reviews and someone already spoiled the ending I think :deadbanana:

1 hour ago, suburbannature said:

I just googled MoE reviews and someone already spoiled the ending I think :deadbanana:

Same thing happened to me when I went to listen to the score before finishing the series :redface:

4 hours ago, suburbannature said:

I've been a film buff for so long that it feels like a long time since I've been truly captivated by a film.

Can someone recommend a beautifully-shot, female-led film or series that sticks with you for days after?

Something like Lost in Translation, Under the Skin, Blue is the Warmest Color, 3 Women, Mulholland Dr, Millennium Mambo, Opening Night, Sunset Blvd. 

Extra points for a great score/soundtrack. I'm under-seen on Japanese/Korean cinema, so may be some gems in there.

Anything I recommend is definitely not what u would like based on the ones you listed. 

But maybe The Cleaning Lady its suspense 

Edited by Insanity

Heartbreak High 

Edited by Raphy23

2 hours ago, Matthew said:

Same thing happened to me when I went to listen to the score before finishing the series :redface:

People are trash :deadbanana4:

10 hours ago, suburbannature said:

Based on Mulholland Drive - Erotic, psychological thrillers with dreamy vibes:

• Exotica (1994)
  • Crash (1996)

Based on 3 Women - 70s Depressive America:

• Nashville (1975)
  • Mikey and Nicky (1976)

- Weird relationships between women:

• Persona (1966)
  • The Last Days of Disco (1998)
  • Céline (1992)

Based on Millennium Mambo - Women on the verge of a nervous breakdown but slow, understated and emotional (my favorite sub-genre lowkey)

• On the Beach at Night Alone (2017)
  • Maborosi (1995)
  • Vibrator (2003)
  • Morvern Callar (2002)
  • Bay of Angels (1963)
  • Vagabond (1985)

16 hours ago, naval23 said:

Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind is beautiful

One of my all-time favorites!

16 hours ago, PennywiseTheClown said:

Have you watched Thelma & Louise? It might check most of your boxes

Another favorite!

15 hours ago, Héloïse said:

Based on Mulholland Drive - Erotic, psychological thrillers with dreamy vibes:

• Exotica (1994)
  • Crash (1996)

Based on 3 Women - 70s Depressive America:

• Nashville (1975)
  • Mikey and Nicky (1976)

- Weird relationships between women:

• Persona (1966)
  • The Last Days of Disco (1998)
  • Céline (1992)

Based on Millennium Mambo - Women on the verge of a nervous breakdown but slow, understated and emotional (my favorite sub-genre lowkey)

• On the Beach at Night Alone (2017)
  • Maborosi (1995)
  • Vibrator (2003)
  • Morvern Callar (2002)
  • Bay of Angels (1963)
  • Vagabond (1985)

Absolutely adore some of these (Nashville, Persona, Morven Callar, OtBaNA, etc.) but there are a couple I haven't seen before! Thanks so much!

Have you ever heard of the movie Tank Girl?

:ahh:

Also for TV series if you have Hulu:

Nip Tuck

:WAP:

Doesn't fit everything you listed, but one of my personal hidden gems is The United States of Tara. It's a TV show created by Diablo Cody and it stars Toni Collette in low-key the performance of her career. She plays a mother with dissociative identity disorder and it focuses on trying to deal with something so unstable while trying to create a healthy life for a family. And it's a half-hour dramedy so it's not a super intense binge either :bird:

Edited by EnigmaticAndroid

Everything Everywhere All At Once. It is technically female-led and will DEFINITELY stick with you days after, although, it's not mysterious/eerie/ethereal like Mulholland Dr. and Under the Skin.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.