Hundreds of Muslims protest the use of LGBTQ books in Michigan School board meeting.

Delirious

We can't tolerate this religious extremism, and no criticizing a religion as a whole is not Islamophobic, which means bigotry towards Muslim people themselves.

• Replies 182
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Communion

• Delirious

• KatyPrismSpirit

• Luckitty

1 hour ago, shinyshimmery said:

There’s no way to coexist with religious extremists and you know that. That’s why in the US we need to keep fighting to protect the constitution. Yes, religious extremists are protected as well… but when they do things like this in public it means they are a threat to LGBT rights and freedoms.

That’s why I say, pack up and leave if you want to so badly change the laws. 

First of all, there were several (white) christian republicans also there at the protest in that library in Dearborn, so I'd honestly say those homophobic muslim american republicans fit perfectly fine in the conservative american spectrum.

My point is: If there isn't any sort of xenophobic/racist bias to those discourses around so-called "extremism" on this board, why there isn't anyone telling those white bigots at the protest to also pack their things and go back to their ancestral homeland in Europe or any other place? It seems to be a popular take on ATRL whenever there's a muslim western person involved in any incident, regardless of their nationality or citizenship, but that kind of reasoning is almost never brought up when it comes to white christians or even nazis.

The amount of white homophobic republicans - mostly christians - that are elected to congress every goddamn election tells me queer americans are already coexisting with queerphobic religious extremists - again, mostly christians - and unfortunately that's been the case for a very long time. Yes, those protests are despicable and queer people need to fight back discrimination, but I promise you there's ways to rightfully express that without resorting to racist and/or xenophobic language.

1 hour ago, shinyshimmery said:

Cus this ain't a third world country.

Secularism isn't exclusive to the West or "first world" countries. :mazen:

Edited by Scars

5 hours ago, Miss Show Business said:

There are extremists in Christianity, but we largely don't accept this as Christian.

The protests were literally organized by Christian activists of the GOP. :deadbanana4:

35ec8742-e262-440a-b345-09ac985dc682-Ste

The woman in the middle literally filed the original complaint. :skull:

After the rally, some conservatives in Michigan praised the event as an example of Muslims and Christians working together. The co-chair of Michigan's Republican Party, Meshawn Maddock, posted photos of the Dearborn rally in a tweet that read in part: "Democrats have a BIG problem. Over 800 Muslim and Christian parents showed up to protest the sexualization of their kids in Dearborn Public Schools!"

Politics may also be playing a role. Maddock and some other conservatives say the protesters will be voting Republican in November. In her tweet, Maddock wrote: "Guess what they said when asked 'how will you vote?' Republican!"

This all takes literally 5 minutes of finding out if one actually looks to what locals in Dearborn are saying.

Not these people being duped by the right wing extremists. :toofunny3:

7 hours ago, CaptainMusic said:

The way you thought you did something here, embarrassing.

aww did i hit a nerve?

3 hours ago, Scars said:
12 hours ago, shinyshimmery said:

Why is it so difficult for some of y'all to discuss or rightfully condemn the protest posted by OP without resorting to anti-immigration and/or racist rhetoric? :deadbanana2:

because their problem is not with islam, it's with the non-white people who believe in islam

christians do worse stuff on a daily bases but you never see people make threads about them, i wonder why

1 hour ago, Communion said:

The protests were literally organized by Christian activists of the GOP. :deadbanana4:

35ec8742-e262-440a-b345-09ac985dc682-Ste

The woman in the middle literally filed the original complaint. :skull:

This all takes literally 5 minutes of finding out if one actually looks to what locals in Dearborn are saying.

oh wow oh wow :celestial5:

I wonder if the #1 atrl islamophobe @Delirious gonna change the misleading title 

8 minutes ago, Luckitty said:

oh wow oh wow :celestial5:

I wonder if the #1 atrl islamophobe @Delirious gonna change the misleading title 

11 minutes ago, Luckitty said:

because their problem is not with islam, it's with the non-white people who believe in islam

christians do worse stuff on a daily bases but you never see people make threads about them, i wonder why

please stop embarrassing yourself. :bibliahh:

53 minutes ago, Delirious said:

please stop embarrassing yourself. :bibliahh:

So are you gonna change the thread's title after being proven wrong or what?

58 minutes ago, Luckitty said:

So are you gonna change the thread's title after being proven wrong or what?

How is it proven wrong? Were there hundreds of muslims protesting or not? Am i missing something?

I want to protest against the quran. But I won’t. Maybe I should..

10 hours ago, Literature said:

You know what I mean though, like there are many Muslims that support lgbtq+ but they have to ignore what the Quran say. Obviously the people who are more religious (ie follow the Quran more diligently) do not support it. That is who OP is coming for: Orthodox Muslims and Islam, not just anybody who identifies as Muslim. It's an important distinction to make cuz it rebuts the idea of them blindly hating Muslims as a whole, rather, just hating something that is found within the religion

Those people are not muslims. They are liberals who might be from muslim origine. If you are muslim, you submit to the Quran in full. LGBT is literally forbidden in Islam. How can you support something that directly goes against your ideology. That doesnt even make sense. Thats like saying a communist supports capitalism 

4 minutes ago, KatyPrismSpirit said:

Those people are not muslims. They are liberals who might be from muslim origine. If you are muslim, you submit to the Quran in full. LGBT is literally forbidden in Islam. How can you support something that directly goes against your ideology. That doesnt even make sense. Thats like saying a communist supports capitalism 

Tea. 

49 minutes ago, Patient Zero said:

I want to protest against the quran. But I won’t. Maybe I should..

Protest and do what.. That book exists over 1400 years long before our existence on this world. 1/4th of all people on this earth are devout muslims and islam is the fastest growing religion in the world. By 2050 over 40% of people in Sweden are muslim for example.. You don't have to find approval from their ideology just like they dont have to accept LGBT ideologies. Just tolerate and accept each other's existance

4 hours ago, FightForTanas said:

Not these people being duped by the right wing extremists. :toofunny3:

They are not lol. Like i said this literally goes against their believes. Not everything in this world is liberal vs conservatism please look up other ideologies or something. Islam is a whole socio-political ideology. Its not just a believe in God.

3 hours ago, Luckitty said:

aww did i hit a nerve?

I’m just confused as to why you think a gay guy being bullied by a Muslim is anything to joke about when it actually does happen due to homophobia and would if anything prove the point many in this thread are saying but ok.

9 minutes ago, KatyPrismSpirit said:

Protest and do what.. That book exists over 1400 years long before our existence on this world. 1/4th of all people on this earth are devout muslims and islam is the fastest growing religion in the world. By 2050 over 40% of people in Sweden are muslim for example.. You don't have to find approval from their ideology just like they dont have to accept LGBT ideologies. Just tolerate and accept each other's existance

They are not lol. Like i said this literally goes against their believes. Not everything in this world is liberal vs conservatism please look up other ideologies or something. Islam is a whole socio-political ideology. Its not just a believe in God.

How can you expect people to tolerate a religion when you said yourself in your previous post that LGBT is forbidden in Islam and true Muslims won’t support it?

Why the **** should gays have to tolerate or respect a religion like that?

And that Sweden statistic doesn’t seem right, I think 40% is way too high and was thrown around to fear monger. IF that is true then It’s a good reason why immigration needs to be controlled in western countries. 

Parasites. Go back to your countries if you don't like it here :celestial:

And dont come at me with the racist card

my parents FLED from iraq because of islam

16 hours ago, Dephira said:

Pretty much what happens whenever you have a significant Muslim minority anywhere in the world 

They love to not adapt and impose their culture on everyone, colonialist behaviour if you ask me but we aren't ready for that conversation :cool:

35 minutes ago, KatyPrismSpirit said:

its like all of those influencers who wear a hijab/burka but are also feminists and try to convince people that islam is THE religion of love.... holy war/colonialist behaviour like I said 

43 minutes ago, KatyPrismSpirit said:

This, lol.

All the abrahamic religions, and especially Islam, are very clear that you need to follow the religion wholly and not pick and choose. I never get why people still submit to religions knowing that they disagree with a good chunk of it…if you’re in disagreement, surely then you must recognise that this “word of God” is a lie since God would have written a perfect doctrine? :deadbanana4: Like, you don’t need religion to have a framework of goodness, but I guess some people are too attached and can’t let go.

They are American citizens and what they’re saying is exactly what many prominent republican politicians (and their voters) believe as well.

Telling them to “go back” makes absolutely no sense at all. It’s just xenophobia 

5 minutes ago, CaptainMusic said:

How can you expect people to tolerate a religion when you said yourself in your previous post that LGBT is forbidden in Islam and true Muslims won’t support it?

Why the **** should gays have to tolerate or respect a religion like that?

And that Sweden statistic doesn’t seem right, I think 40% is way too high and was thrown around to fear monger. IF that is true then It’s a good reason why immigration needs to be controlled in western countries. 

I said LGBT community shouldnt look for approval from muslims. What I meant is that we should accept each others existence. The same narrative can be applied from a muslims perspective. You shouldn't respect it actually. Tolerating something doesnt equal you respect it. And that Sweden stat is actually true. Actually a lot of the white population in Sweden is increasingly converting to Islam and many Churches are being used as mosques now there. ITs not to fear monger lol

33 minutes ago, KatyPrismSpirit said:

Why shouldn’t I protest against a hateful ideology? Your argument that this religion is old will also be my argument to be against it. The mentality is from the dark ages and it belongs there.

ok, many people believe it…

so ******* what? The masses are asses anyway. Is McDonnals also the best cuisine? 

I was raised muslim and it can be a very hateful ideology, and not just agains lgbt’s. And people choose to follow this ideology from the dark ages. I can’t choose my sexuality.  

And talking about existence. Lgbt people existed before the quran. So we existed before it and we will exist after it. 

14 minutes ago, Patient Zero said:

Why shouldn’t I protest against a hateful ideology? Your argument that this religion is old will also be my argument to be against it. The mentality is from the dark ages and it belongs there.

ok, many people believe it…

so ******* what? The masses are asses anyway. Is McDonnals also the best cuisine? 

I was raised muslim and it can be a very hateful ideology, and not just agains lgbt’s. And people choose to follow this ideology from the dark ages. I can’t choose my sexuality.  

And talking about existence. Lgbt people existed before the quran. So we existed before it and we will exist after it. 

Period. 

1 hour ago, KatyPrismSpirit said:

If im not mistaken this entire thing started because a far right republican complained about the books? 

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.