Are music videos becoming a dying format?

commander

Everyday artists are relying less and less on YouTube to capitalize on their music. And if they decide to shot a video, it’s nothing to write home about. Why have mv become so irrelevant compared to say 10 years ago?

Edited by commander

They've been dead. Music videos nominated for the VMAs have all been boring shite for years.

For most Pop artists, I guess 

Latin artists are still big on the platform and some Hip Hop artists also, the #1 artist for YT in US has been NBA Youngboy for years

Yeah MV’s been dead for years now. Combination of how easy it is to manipulate views, YouTube in general dying out by Tiktok, and lack of Pop culture impact MV’s have now compared to 10 years ago. 

Yes. Unless you upload 10 videos for the same song, of course.

I hope not, that's the only requirement I ask for a song to debut in my personal countdown :sistrens:

No it’s just we haven’t had interesting music video artists like Gaga during TFM->BTW in a very long time

Dua and Doja and maybe Billie did great

but just not Bad Romance, Telephone level great

even Gaga herself has failed to make quality videos for years except 911

so that’s pretty much why imo 

8 minutes ago, Losing my ground said:

I hope not, that's the only requirement I ask for a song to debut in my personal countdown :sistrens:

this. streams may be down, but they shoould never stop making them, singles feel incomplete without them

How is it dead when music videos still getting millions and billions of views? As well the number of artists the got at least 1 billion views in 2018 is much less then now, in 2017 only 82 surpassed this mark, in 2021, the number increased to 90 artists. I doubt youtube and music videos will ever die. Many videos came and made huge buzz around the world, just because your fav didn't make rememberable videos it doesn't mean the platform is dead.

28 minutes ago, Literature said:

No, the low views for the past 4 years are just your hallucinations 

:skull:

In the country community, I've noticed it sometimes takes artists like 3+ months after a single was released for it to have a music video. All because of how slow country radio is.

They might not be at their peak but I doubt they'll ever die, I cannot conceive a world in which artists wouldn't release visuals for their music.

This self-hating site drags Lil Nas X for being extra but he released the only memorable videos of the last couple years

16 minutes ago, Devin said:

They been dying once the streaming era began.

In the artistic sense yes 

We traded big budgets eras, entertainment value, and talented performers,  for TikTok :deadbanana4: 

music videos are cute because they give visuals to songs but honestly they're sorta useless now that we all moved on and listen to our music on spotify or apple music and don't watch tv anymore

tiktok and self-created content is more appealing to gen z than big budget music videos.

millennials are aging out of the days of sitting at the computer watching youtube, and gen z doesn't do that.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.