Netflix Ad Tier coming in November at $6.99

Gui Blackout

netflixfinal.jpg?w=681&h=383&crop=1

After years of Netflix execs spurning the idea of serving up commercials to viewers, the streaming giant is flipping the switch on its first cheaper, ad-supported plan next month.

Netflix Basic With Ads will launch in the U.S. on Nov. 3 at 9 a.m. PT, priced at $6.99 per month, the company announced. The cheaper plan will be available in 12 countries: Australia, Brazil, Canada, France, Germany, Italy, Japan, Korea, Mexico, Spain, the U.K. and the U.S. It will first roll out in Canada and Mexico on Nov. 1.

Basic With Ads will be $3 cheaper than Netflix’s Basic plan ($9.99/month in the U.S. currently), which provides the ability to stream on one device at a time. Previously, the Basic plan has not supported HD, but with the launch of the ad tier, Netflix will provide video quality of up to 720p HD for both Basic With Ads and the plan with no ads.

The ad-supported plan will not include Netflix’s full content catalog, which the company previously had disclosed. A “limited number of movies and TV shows won’t be available due to licensing restrictions, and we’re going to be working on reducing that over time,” Netflix chief operating officer Greg Peters told reporters. Depending on country, about 5% to 10% of titles will be unavailable on Netflix Basic With Ads, Peters said. In addition, customers on the ad plan will not have the ability to download titles for offline viewing.

https://variety.com/2022/digital/news/netflix-ad-supported-plan-launch-date-pricing-1235402196/

Edited by Gui Blackout

The basic plan didn’t have HD????? What in the 2004 is going on :deadbanana:

• Like 1

She’s down bad, your honor.

I thought it would be free, why tf would I pay money and still watch ads? Dumb

2 minutes ago, Dephira said:

That was one of the ENTIRE points of streaming platforms in the first place 

????

selling out to advertisers and investor demands 

So you're still paying for it but with ads and less content? :bibliahh:

This would make sense if it was either free with tons of ads, or like 0.99 with some ads. Not freaking 7 bucks with ads like bish whet

so... only $3 less than the basic plan AND you have to deal with less content and ads? wtf :deadbanana4:

• ATRL Moderator
18 minutes ago, Dephira said:

14 minutes ago, Beyonceist said:

This would make sense if it was either free with tons of ads, or like 0.99 with some ads. Not freaking 7 bucks with ads like bish whet

To be fair pretty much every other streaming service has a plan like this. HBO Max is $10 with ads

So only a couple dollars cheaper, with ads, and with limited content.  Oh it's bad for them :rip: 

Not y'all thinking you were getting Netflix for free :deadbanana: Literally nobody said that

5 minutes ago, Marvin said:

To be fair pretty much every other streaming service has a plan like this. HBO Max is $10 with ads

HBOMax has a way better library though. Netflix is 70% junk at this point.

Literally how is this a good business move, especially considering their library of shows/films. 

I hope they go down after this. 

I have NO issues with commercials but 720p? please. :bibliahh:

40 minutes ago, Delirious said:

I would rather torrent lol

That's basically what all this nonsense (this plus all the 876875658 streaming services) is going to lead to, pirating rising again. And to think that was what streaming was supposed to help reduce :clown:

Watch them phase this out and get the standard version more expensive soon 

I'm good, i share my account which is a little bit annoying when they ask you for a code, but it's worthy, only 4 dollars a month :skeleton:

Edited by M André

14 minutes ago, POPTART said:

Literally how is this a good business move, especially considering their library of shows/films. 

I hope they go down after this. 

Why wouldn’t it be a good move? You either pay the same or pay less with ads, what’s so difficult about this? :rip:

At least HD is FINALLY coming to the lowest tier, having to pay $15 for it (when all other streaming services offer the highest HD even at the lowest price) has always been a trash feature of Netflix. 

It feels like streaming platforms are ending themselves with all the shitty business moves... first HBO Max, now Netflix. 

I hope they all go down :doc: losers

4 minutes ago, James_Dean said:

It feels like streaming platforms are ending themselves with all the shitty business moves... first HBO Max, now Netflix. 

I hope they all go down :doc: losers

agreed. they have gotten really bold  :redface:

12 minutes ago, magazine said:

Why wouldn’t it be a good move? You either pay the same or pay less with ads, what’s so difficult about this? :rip:

Because netflix is already struggling with all other streaming platforms rising and having better content. $7 is a lot for something with ads on on top of that charge + you wouldn't have a full content either. 

As some users have pointed out, this will again start the rise of piracy. Deservedly so, as streaming platforms were initially designed to be easily accessible without ads. 

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.